What made you a stihl or a husky guy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a good friend who gets good deals from a Stihl dealer, so when I needed my first saw, I bought my MS260 new through my friend. I'm very happy with it. My Olympyk 970 was bought on a 'to-good-of-a-deal-to-pass-on' deal, and it so happened to be the size of saw I needed (71cc). I haven't tried a Husky saw yet. My Olympyk has an outboard/external clutch and I do like the Stihl inboard/internal clutch for changing bars and chain - as I proved to myself when I pinched the bar on my Olympyk the other day and was trying to take off the powerhead to use another bar :mad:. I might have used the 260, but the wood was fairly big and I wanted to use a 20" bar with the 970 instead of the 16" bar on the 260. Although any clutch work on a outboard clutch will be easier than an inboard clutch, but changing sprockets will be easier on the inboard. My next saw will probably be another Stihl, but if a 'to-good-of-a-deal-to-pass-on' Husky showed up, I'd jump on it (or any other brand of saw that I recognize to be quality).

Kevin

bump_r said:
Friggin' Poulan saw turned me off of box-store purchases, so I went to a gen-you-ine chain saw shop - Stihl - when I replaced it.

Not to say I wouln't ever have a Husky or Dolmar...

As long as the dealer is a round for service whats the diffrence if you buy it from a box store, while I did not buy my from a box store, I got mine from a dealer via the internet because for some reason chainsaws cost less is washington and oregon then they do in NJ/NY. I got a great deal on both my saws including free shipping, free assessories, free chains, and a price $50 lower than my local dealers without any extras.

That is my only knock on Stihl, my father still has his after 30 years and it is a good saw, but if they do not at least let their dealers market and sell their products compeditively it is going to hurt them, especially to the homeowner market, must homeowner would much rather go to sears or lowes to by a chainsaw VS a saw shop. It was a great move for Husky to seller their products through the box stores, major issue is the staff at the box stores do not set up the saw for you and don't know alot about them but my local lowes has a husky 359 for $375 plus if you use their credit card not payments for 6 months, no dealer is offering anything like that

I'm just a homeowner who only cuts a couple cords per year and I recalled my Dad keeping our family supplied with wood for years with his two Stihls so remembering that, combined with a much better Stihl dealer than any other dealer close by were my determining factors to go with Stihl.

Last edited:
I'm a Husky man myself. One of my earlier saws was a Stihl 026. Was doing alot of offroad and underbrush work at the time. Hated the quick release for the air cleaner cover-pull the saw through the brush and the knob would get caught and the cover would come right off. After losing 2 covers, got rid of the Stihl and stuck with Husky. I guess just habit keeps me with Husky now (well except for my 200t's).

I bought a Jonny Red 2050 to clean up after a hurricane about 15 years ago. It mostly sat around until 5 years ago when I installed a wood stove and it got REAL busy. Last year, I started looking for something a bit beefier. I loved the 2050, so I looked for a JRed dealer and something in the 2171 range. Stihl is the only game in town around here, and my best friend in the forestry industry AND all you great "enablers" convinced me to get a Stihl. I've geen thrilled with the 361 and I like having access to lots of accessories (no other brand around here can come close).But since then, I've bought a Dolmar...so I guess, notwithstanding my avatar, I'm mostly a Stihl guy with leanings toward Dolmar and JRed.

Husky/Dolmar

Growing up Stihl was ingrained in my head as the premier brand. Over the last few years I bought a Stihl FS85 trimmer (very pleased, might not be as smooth as others though) a BG85 blower (couldn't ask for more from a hand held), and a 250 and 290 chainsaws. 250 was hugely dissappionting. Would not oil the bar enough to prevent a fireworks show everytime you ran it. It literally flooded 1/2 the time you tried to start it cold. Traded in for a 290. Ran all of the time but was huge and heavy for what it did. I know it is not a fair comparison, but I now use pro grade Husky's and old gen Dolmars for saws. Love the pre filter of air on the Husky's. The Dolmars are no better than Stihls on loading the filters, but they ALWAYS run good. I would love to add a 346/5100 and 7900 to the inventory, but not willing to give up the 372 or justify another small saw.

I think people buy what they know...that is why I run Shindaiwa saws...I grew up using them. My Dad grew up using Stihl and Homelite saws. The real Homelites disappeared, and when he upgraded his saws in the late 70's, he got a bad batch of Stihls. He got fed up with them nickle and diming him and bought the Shindaiwas, and has stayed with Shindaiwa since.

I recently worked on a MS210C for a friend. I was extremely turned off by the overpowering plastic-factor. Stihl has somehow managed to capture the 'professional chainsaw' image and has ran with it. I think many people buy Stihl saws because that is all they have heard of, or for some reason view them as the best. I wouldn't run ANY consumer Stihl saw, even if someone gave it to me. Their pro saws appear to be built nice, feel nice and look nice...although I haven't had any ammount of trigger time on one to form a truly unbiased opinion.

I own a Husqvarna 232R brushcutter because it was the best quality for price range I was interested in. I would have liked to purchase a Shindaiwa C350, but couldn't justify the additional cost.

I think every manufacturer has their all-star products. Look at the 5100S Dolmar, the Husky 372, the Stihl 660...and you fill in the blanks with your favorite. Buy what you like and what you get a good price on.

I used to be a big stihl guy but over the last four years I've owned more husky's than anything else. I've owned quite a few stihls and still have a few but I go back and forth between them. Some times it seems like I can't make up my mind!LOL:hmm3grin2orange: I've cut more timber with a 372 than any other saw. Millions of feet. I've cut a couple million feet with a 460 and 440 stihl as well, d@mn good saws. The 372's vibrate out bolts occasionally and the fuel tank will crack every once and a while but I love'em. I cuss at them occasionally but still love'em. I don't like the balance of the 441 at all so I guess my next 70cc class saw will be a 575.

I worked with a "know-it-all". Everything he bought was the best brand, and he had a reason it was the best brand and why every other brand was inferior. He was so full of B.S.

So, he said Stihl is the best, and I chose anything but Stihl. I have ended up buying a Stihl, but I prefer Husky or better yet Dolmar.

JUDGE1162 said:
As long as the dealer is a round for service whats the diffrence if you buy it from a box store, while I did not buy my from a box store, I got mine from a dealer via the internet because for some reason chainsaws cost less is washington and oregon then they do in NJ/NY. I got a great deal on both my saws including free shipping, free assessories, free chains, and a price $50 lower than my local dealers without any extras.

That is my only knock on Stihl, my father still has his after 30 years and it is a good saw, but if they do not at least let their dealers market and sell their products compeditively it is going to hurt them, especially to the homeowner market, must homeowner would much rather go to sears or lowes to by a chainsaw VS a saw shop. It was a great move for Husky to seller their products through the box stores, major issue is the staff at the box stores do not set up the saw for you and don't know alot about them but my local lowes has a husky 359 for $375 plus if you use their credit card not payments for 6 months, no dealer is offering anything like that

Stihl is self insured in the United States and relies on the dealer to limit their liabilty by properly setting up new saws and making sure the buyer has a proper understanding of the dangers involved in chainsaw use. I know a Husky dealer who orders all of his saws with .058 chain on them so he can instantly spot the Lowes saws (with .050) and tell the owner to hit the bricks, his store, his choice. Nowhere in the dealer agreement does it say that ant dealer is REQUIRED to work on any product they did not sell.

The first chainsaw I ever had was a second hand Stihl 017. Cold, it would crank on the third pull every time. Once you got it hot, it was a real beotch. That turned me off Stihl for a long time. When it came time to buy the latest saw I went with the best/closest dealer support. That was Stihl. I don't regret it. I don't have anything against Husky, they make good saws.

Ian

I like all my saws, and every one of them has something that I would re-engineer.
The only saw I don't care for is the Poulan. Thats $100 that I wish had gone towards the Dolmar on my list. :hmm3grin2orange:

Its hard to compare saws by brand. Each has their own best, and not so good, and everyone uses em differently.
When you get into anything over $400, the quality seems a big step forward, Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, whatever.

Saws

Growing up we used Stihls and Homelites mostly. I used to cut around 18 face cord of wood for my grandfather every year with my uncle's borrowed Poulan. It always did a good job. For the bigger stuff we had the homes and stihls. Both always ran great and did a good job. Matter of fact, using those old stihls and sich are probably my biggest downfall now. The newer saw just don't have the torque the older ones did. I myself prefer a Stihl. Not because they are better, I don't believe any one chainsaw has some grand superiority over all others. Because it's more suited to my style of cutting. Most logs I cut are above 16" diameter. I inherently use the dogs alot more than others I believe to really chomp into wood, a habit I'm trying to break now that I have a husky also. A few weeks ago while cutting some big red Oak my buddy brought his 288XP over and we went at it. Course my crazy ole' cousin stopped in and had to let me try his 044. The 288 is about an 87cc saw, the 044 is a 71 cc saw. We sawed a 40" oak log side by side. The little stihl kept up with it no problem, but that was me using the hell out of the dogs and him just letting that baby cut. I will say the husky are a much lighter saw and ALOT easier on the hands, vibration and all, and I'm really taking a liking to my 266XP. I pull that out of the truck more than my stihls as of lately just because of the smoothness of it. I'll always love my stihls, and I think the older homelites are still the cats meow, but the new husky's are a pretty nice saw to use. I'd hate to have to make a choice, but if I did, I guess you really can't beat the old stihls for reliability and torque. I said it before. How many people in here are using a 30 yr old husky or JR??? Old stihls are everywhere and still knockin'em down...

JUDGE1162 said:
Grow up with stihl, they were good, then got a Mac, needed a bigger saw, bought a husky, the next saw was a husky too. I guess that is why I like husky.

The one big plus I see is Husky lets their dealers sell their saws on-line, mail order, through box stores, plus through dealers, stihl is only throught he dealer and he can not even advertise the price. I never see stihl saws on sale and if they are it is 5% off MSRP. Huskys go on sale all the time that is the plus of competion, I got my Husky saw new $50 to $100 off list.

That's one reason why I will not buy a Husky. They sold their dealers out, why would someone go to a dealer when they can go to Lowe's or somewhere on line and get one maybe $50 cheaper, BUT! can get no service or support from Lowe's or from 2500 miles away. Plus Homelite, Mac, and other brands all fell by the way side when they sold in the box stores. As cisco said before I see a lot of 30 yr old Stihls still going very strong. Also I have a hard time with Husky because they are kind of a hodge podge of companies. Some of their smaller saws are actually Poulan, and then some of their saws were made by Solo and some other companies. Back in the day my dad worked for a company called WCI. They were later owned by Electrolux who owns Poulan and Husky. A tree service guy came to my dad's house and cut down a tree for him. The guy used Huskys and I remember dad talking to him and telling him that most of the parts on some husky saws even the engine were put in poulans, I know it wasn't their pro saws but Stihl makes Stihl chains and all.

Last edited:
Grew up in a small logging town near Mount Rainier, WA. I thought that Stihl was the only professional saw ever made for many years due to the loggers that used them in my area.

Still ingrained in my brain... Only Stihl for me.:rock: :rockn: :rock: :rockn:

Gary

GASoline71 said:
Grew up in a small logging town near Mount Rainier, WA. I thought that Stihl was the only professional saw ever made for many years due to the loggers that used them in my area.

Still ingrained in my brain... Only Stihl for me.:rock: :rockn: :rock: :rockn:

Gary

Hey gary - you have the MAC that drove me to Stihl!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Husky Sandwich

I use Stihl trim saws ( ms200T ) and Husky in the midrange ( 365,394xp ) and then Stihl again at the top end ( 088 ).

IMO Stihl out performs Husky across the board, but raw power is not everything, Husky out shines Stihl in air filtration, anti-vibe, and dependability. These factors are very important when you cut trees down for a living.

IMO Stihl needs to get on the ball and make some design improvements before Husky grabs even more of their once loyal customers.

If Husky ever succeeds in making a top handle trimsaw that out performs the ms200T, Husqvarna will replace Stihl as the top dog in the tree industry.

jomoco

I have ran alot of saws,The 009 & 084 were my favs for a long time.There is just something about a Stihl sound that can cure any ailment.Headaches,Hangovers,Tendonitis you name it.After you run that stihl for about 1/2 hour its all gone.Thats what got me the sound is mesmerizing.

:heart:

edit:cant knock echo for dependability though

Lakeside53 said:
Hey gary - you have the MAC that drove me to Stihl!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

HAHA!:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

That old dinosaur was under my Gramps workbench when he died. We didn't even know the old boy had it! I got it from my dad. It had been sitting unused for nearly 20 years. I changed the fuel filter, put a new plug in it, filled it with mix, and it fired on about the 6th pull. What a heavy mo-fo!

Gary

I guess I'm a Stihl man 'cuz that's what I'm used to and raised on, but wouldn't hesitate to use/buy a Husky or older Johnny Red. I think it's all what you're used to and have available. Stihl and Husky have their own strong points and individual saws that kick butt. I've always hated the older Huskys with the outboard clutch and brake in the side cover though, poor design IMHO. Always cut a donut outta the cover eventually. IMHO Cisco was right on re:longevity/durability. Have two 028 Supers 25-30 years old and still rock, have friends/coworkers that use Huskys don't have anything that old still in service. I've observed 020s, 028s, 038s, 048s and 084s endure abuse no piece of equipment should and not only survive but continue in service for many more years of the same abuse. I think this only applies to the pro models though, wouldn't waste my time/money on the consumer models. Not the same durability/longevity factor. That all being said, Husky makes some great saws with good ergonomics and screamin' r's. Have two Huskys to go with my six Stihls and wouldn't hesitate to add another if the right deal came along a saw I needed, ok wanted.:bowdown:
This is all JMO though, don't want to start any brand wars. If it works for you and rips rooster tails of saw chips for ya, it's all good.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back