What oil ratio do YOU run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might be the most wasteful answer but I own nine 2 strokes and one can for pre-mix!

4 saws....2 trimmers...a leaf blower....2 atv's....and a small snow blower , man that's 10!

I have a special blend of 75% 92 premium , 25% Cam2 race gas and 40:1 Max. 927.

I know , I know but man it smells good!

Jeff

I would think this might be true if the additional oil was so great that it was causing the combustion to pre detonate,
There is no such thing as pre detonate. There is detonation and pre ignition. Two deifferant phenomanon that can be ralted, but are not always. neither event causes the BTU of the fuel to be changed.

Oil, your supposed to use oil? Why doesn’t anyone tell me these things?:D

But seriously, I use bar oil and diesel at 100:1. runs a little rough, but man do i same a lot of money!

is the stihl black bottle the low smoke oil? if so, does it cost more than the red? dealer here doesnt carry the black bottle.

thx 1953greg

cuttinscott said:
The more oil that is added to the gas the more energy the engine uses for combustion. more energy = more heat:blob2:

I can't resist either.

No, the more oil in the gas, the less actual gas gets in to burn, so leaner mixture, leaner mixture burns hotter. Leaner mixture = more heat :blob2:.

A bit different.

1953greg said:
is the stihl black bottle the low smoke oil? if so, does it cost more than the red? dealer here doesnt carry the black bottle.

thx 1953greg

It does cost a little more (very little) than the Red, but more importantly they should be stocking it as Stihl wants 4-mix engine users to use the "black"oil. They've had carb problems with the Orange in these engines. A tech note came out about 6 months ago and was sent to all dealers.

No, the more oil in the gas, the less actual gas gets in to burn, so leaner mixture, leaner mixture burns hotter. Leaner mixture = more heat .
Thats also non sense. Once the carb is tuned properly you could run 16:1 and there would be no less gas present.

bwalker said:
Thats also non sense. Once the carb is tuned properly you could run 16:1 and there would be no less gas present.

Of course I realize that. I was assuming he was talking about a case where someone puts a lower ratio oil mixture in without retuning. It sounded like that was what he was talking about.

Latest posts

Back