What OLD diesel to look for...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest regret has been selling my old 89 W250. She had a Cummins Recon 5.9 in her, rebuilt trans, a bunch of other work done to her. I rhino lined the body. She was built like a burlap bag full of bobcats.

I see people that have regretted selling their trucks all the time. I plan on keeping my 1991 Ford until I physically am unable to drive it, hopefully another 30-40 years.
ere7udu8.jpg

I see people that have regretted selling their trucks all the time. I plan on keeping my 1991 Ford until I physically am unable to drive it, hopefully another 30-40 years.
ere7udu8.jpg
The last 93 model I do regret selling. It only had 140k miles on it. It was too small for the family to ride in but I had another 4 door truck any way so I should have just kept it around.

I have 4 kids, that's why I bought the crew cab. 7.3 IDI, 5 speed, 4:10's, ATS turbo. I only have one vehicle on the road, it has to do everything I need, from hauling kids to heavy equipment. Its grossing 23,000lbs in that pic and got 12.5mpg from Baltimore Md. to South Jersey.

Back in the early 80's in LA, there was an off road 4X4 hotspot in Azuza Canyon, that all us young kids'd go to on the weekends to four wheel n party.

Inevitably drunk punks'd roll there fancy 4X4's into ravines and other inaccessible locales, get hauled out themselves via ambulance or life flight helos.

But it became common knowledge to us kids/young adults that there was an old man overseeing all this mayhem from the overlook, with binoculars, sittin in a 62 Dodge Power Wagon with winches front and back, makin serious coin from both the kids and their parents insurance companies tasked with retrieving those rolled 4X4's!

His truck looked a lot like this one, kind of an army basic with hydraulic winches.
image.jpg

Thats badass...great story. I can picture him sitting up there, just laughing...all the way to the bank in that mean old truck.

Dow

That and knowing how to operate a truck like that to its ability makes it seem even more bad @$$. Those old Powerwagons were sooo cool! I have seen guys swapping 4bt Cummins in them and getting 24mpg, that's a good deal!

As I recollect, dude was a minimalist. Couple long cable coils, shackles n clevisses, long pry bars, box n rake for the glass was about it. Made it clear right up front he'd just get the vehicle out to where a wrecker could get it. Was known for preferring to drag um out upside down, less friction that way when the wheels were broken off or bent!

jomoco

Latest posts

Back