What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old saws that were built good and are reliable for me. (60's, 70, 80's)

Only have required just little bit of TLC.

The old Poulans S25's (and I'm not a Poulan fan) but these little saws that were built in the 60's when the Poulan name was a good thing)
I've got a Old Stihl 028 (40 years old or so) that is still running with points ignition) Very reliable.

I also still use some of the EZ Homies.

I've got some of the old heavy weight Mac's, 1-40 through the 1-50 series that are still good runners, but I only use them for felling large trees. Too heavy for trimming.

I've seen some very sorry weak/wimpy models of saws in the Poulans, Homies and Stihls.
I've got a MS250 Stihl that is in a Class with the plastic Poulans and have also seen some very sorry Homies.

Craftsman/Sears (rebranded Poulans) got it right when they added on the very front cover of their owners manuals in big black letters FOR OCCASSIONAL USE ONLY
I have seen some of them type later model Craftsman Poulan and late model Macs saws that go bad when being stored, not reliable at all from one day to the next.

Sometimes experience (good and bad) is all I have to offer

Amen to that brother! I’m not a Poulan fan what’s either, as far as the current production of them. But would I rock a Poulan 245a from the 70’s? Absolutely! I’d take one of those any day over a Stihl ms290, ms291, 390, or a Husky 460, 465, maybe even a 365 too.

Amen to that brother! I’m not a Poulan fan what’s either, as far as the current production of them. But would I rock a Poulan 245a from the 70’s? Absolutely! I’d take one of those any day over a Stihl ms290, ms291, 390, or a Husky 460, 465, maybe even a 365 too.
For occasional use, or all day? No anti vibe is no fun all day, I heard.

I used to use a 245, a Remington 754, and a 5200 for several summers and winters pretty close to full time back in my early 20’s and I preferred them to anything in that time period’s current production that had anti vibe. That didn’t matter to me back then whatsoever because I was so pleased with their performance and torque. But fast forward a couple of decades and several surgeries later, I might prefer something like a 3400-5200 Instead. My current job has me using the diesel chipper far more than it does the chainsaw right now. The only times I actually need a saw is to mill down and quarter up tree trunks that are too big to feed in the Bandit 1890 chipper. But I still would prefer a torquey older saw than the garbage ms290 that I have to use at work. It starts up just fine and runs great for about half an hour and then it neuters itself by a good 25 percent and hates starting back up, and constantly leaking oil regardless of adjustment. Took it back to the Stihl dealer a few different times and none of the repairs ever held up long. 😡

I can sell you one

A ms 290 isn't even a pro model of saw, nor should it be compared to one. Outside of nostalgia, and liking old saws I have no hankering, or need to cut with one all day. A model T was better then walking back in the day too.....
You’re funny! But I still like what I said better. Because I still feel the same way about the ms460’s I’ve run too. Just not built as solid. Or at least that’s how it feels to me.

Just an ignorant Guess but those old round saws that look like giant snails (Remingtons (pro 88 for ex), Malls) look like tanks to me that only ever died because someone sat them in a barn for 50 years and let the elements get to them... but that's just how they look to me.
My boss at the time, god rest his soul as of last year, backed over one that was sitting by a Poulan 245a, and a 5200. He was drunk on moonshine and Ole Weller. I was mad but not too terribly mad because they were his not mine. He was distraught when he found out about what he did the next day.

You’re funny! But I still like what I said better. Because I still feel the same way about the ms460’s I’ve run too. Just not built as solid. Or at least that’s how it feels to me.
Yeah I would agree a 460 isn't a great saw, I'd much rather have a 462........

Yeah I would agree a 460 isn't a great saw, I'd much rather have a 462........
With all due respect good sir, you have brought nothing to this conversation but snarky comments and one upmamship and I’ve tried to act respectfully about it too. If you take issue with literally everything I have typed, that’s your problem, and you’re more than welcome to leave. Or you could just act respectfully like the rest of everyone else if that’s not too much of a chore for you.

I look at any saw with an iron bore as a rebuildable tank. When someone did actually smoke a piston it was a simple over bore and new piston job.
It is true that its rare to find a ProMac 10-10 that doesn't run with minimal maintenance, and ive never seen one personally with a bad bearing.
They are simple and have very few failure points.

Pioneer /OMC . made very impressive. Professional saws . Originally manufactured within Peterbough Ontario & Eastern Quebec . The reliability of older saws is that they were produced with magnesium bodies & steel or Alluminium trim . They also produced more than adequate horsepower for their displacement & often produced impressive torgue at lower rpm's due to reed valves , along with chrome cylinders or rings & introduction of electronic ignition modules . Eventually Pioneer headed south to Louisiana & Texas plants when they merged with Partner saws Ltd. in the mid 70's . Afterward's Pioneer-Partner evolved into Poulan Ltd. again ,with the Husquarna / Electrolux merger in the 80's making some very stout saws in the 70's to late 80's .

fk it I'll be that guy! poulan wild thing, u can't wear one out if treated even half decently!!
In my rebuild experience with stihls its 038, 041, 045, 056.. the transition saws that had points then went electronic ignition later. If treated half decent they will have a excellent looking cylinder and the piston will be excellent or missing the oil grooves and shiney but the rings are slap worn out after 20+ years of use... just slide new rings in and poof 165 psi compression again. Very often the carbs still work with the original pump/diaphragms after a quick rinse out. Common sized roller bearings on the crank so the hardware stores have them for 4.99 each Yet they are often found on barn and shed floors or hung on the walls in open air not tucked away or really protected.

fk it I'll be that guy! poulan wild thing, u can't wear one out if treated even half decently!!
In my rebuild experience with stihls its 038, 041, 045, 056.. the transition saws that had points then went electronic ignition later. If treated half decent they will have a excellent looking cylinder and the piston will be excellent or missing the oil grooves and shiney but the rings are slap worn out after 20+ years of use... just slide new rings in and poof 165 psi compression again. Very often the carbs still work with the original pump/diaphragms after a quick rinse out. Common sized roller bearings on the crank so the hardware stores have them for 4.99 each Yet they are often found on barn and shed floors or hung on the walls in open air not tucked away or really protected.
The 041 keeps being brought up. I’m noticing a pattern. I have a couple of them. One’s a super with a 72cc engine, the other one is going to have a 72cc put into it. I’m just looking for a OEM piston to go into the cylinder I bought for it. There are definitely faster saws than that out there but it’s really an overbuilt machine all things considered.

With all due respect good sir, you have brought nothing to this conversation but snarky comments and one upmamship and I’ve tried to act respectfully about it too. If you take issue with literally everything I have typed, that’s your problem, and you’re more than welcome to leave. Or you could just act respectfully like the rest of everyone else if that’s not too much of a chore for you.
No, I haven't been snarky or one upped anyone. I agreed with you, there are cool old saws. Icons of history past. Some of which shaped the very land we live in. They show a progression from old heavy iron to modern refined machines. I greatly appreciate it, however I don't live in the past either. It's seems pointing that out bothers you. By your own comments, your experience with a homeowner grade saw is the bases of what you judge all modern saws by, then sure id rather have an old Mac. But I challenge you to find anyone that in any production setting that agrees they would rather use a homelite xl series vs a new stihl or husqy 8 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week. If by pointing out this hipocracy bothers you then I apologize.

No, I haven't been snarky or one upped anyone. I agreed with you, there are cool old saws. Icons of history past. Some of which shaped the very land we live in. They show a progression from old heavy iron to modern refined machines. I greatly appreciate it, however I don't live in the past either. It's seems pointing that out bothers you. By your own comments, your experience with a homeowner grade saw is the bases of what you judge all modern saws by, then sure id rather have an old Mac. But I challenge you to find anyone that in any production setting that agrees they would rather use a homelite xl series vs a new stihl or husqy 8 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week. If by pointing out this hipocracy bothers you then I apologize.

Might be a spooner?
Bites just as good.

My Grand Dads saw continues to amaze the novice woodsmen, which are common now. When I start the unit, without a set-up mounted, and set it on the ground....as it jumps around, it sounds like a dirt bike tipped over. Stihl 075AV bought in '81, has always run a 48" set-up. The chainsaw will fell any trunk, buck any laying log, and level any stump.
Best engines in old saw?

Latest posts

Back