What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with saws, so went the world - everything from refrigerators to pickup trucks is built with over-complicated, low-bidder garbage that was engineered by MORONS these days. Zero regard for those tasked with keeping them running. If I didn't know any better I'd say they're doing it on purpose, just to put small guys out of business, and put the product to scrap sooner, all in the name of the most $$$ as fast as possible. It's a hell of a time to be alive! :oops:

My line of thinking is, anything built before 1995 is guaranteed to be of better quality than ANYTHING you can buy new today. The older, the better ... to a point!

I can't remember exactly but I think it was an old jonsered 440 super. A little heavy but a workhorse of a saw . And then of course I still have a little pioneer p40 which is a loud obnoxious saw but it packs alot of power for a smaller saw and it's die hard , can't kill em ,also have a pioneer 1074 , needs a coil now but from 1974 that's pretty damn good I would say lol

All Poulan Pro's late 80's vintage were manufactured in the USA within Arkansas after the Husquarna involvement & debacle.
Normally I try to stay out of this sort of stuff, but here's a couple serial number plates for you to think about:
20230513_234754.jpg
20230513_234842.jpg

The Poulan Pro nameplate was created for North America by Electrolux for the 1988 model year; they Purchased Beaird-Poulan/Weed Eater in 1986. This new nameplate also carried over models from Pioneer/Partner, of which both saws above are examples.
The 325 is a Partner 5500(5000 chassis saw) and as you can see, still built in Sweden like all the other saws using that chassis and others that shared components(Jred 490/590, Husky 50 etc.) The 455 is a Pioneer P45, and built in Ontario. Neither manufactured in the USA.

The merger with Electrolux and Partner then Husquarna caused Pioneer to morph into Poulan Professional Series saws . I have had 7 Pioneers saws over the yrs understand their Origination within East Ontario within Quebec under the OMC umbrella to Peterbourgh Ontario . Felled & Hardwood commercially in Eastern Ontario with P-51 & P-38 Pioneers & later cut Pulp wood commercially with in Northern Ontario with Husquarna 246 xps & Dolmar 111,s . Only ran a Poulan Super Pro bucking firewood & a 3400 & 5200 felling & bucking firewood with my Uncle & cousins , never personally ever owned a badged Poulan !
I got a Poulan 2050 and it's called a Pioneer, they must of named it after the old saws. (maybe) It's a pretty good runner for as small as it is. I use it Lot for limbing. Very light weight. I've never bought a Poulon, but have been given many of them. Had more problems with broken plastic than engines, I'm talking newer ones though, never had an older one. Plastic parts are still easy to get and not gonna break the bank getting them. I resale most of them. I have never had the opportunity to get a hold of a Pioneer brand. Don't seem to be many around my neck of the woods. Thanks for that history on the saws.

As with saws, so went the world - everything from refrigerators to pickup trucks is built with over-complicated, low-bidder garbage that was engineered by MORONS these days. Zero regard for those tasked with keeping them running. If I didn't know any better I'd say they're doing it on purpose, just to put small guys out of business, and put the product to scrap sooner, all in the name of the most $$$ as fast as possible. It's a hell of a time to be alive! :oops:

My line of thinking is, anything built before 1995 is guaranteed to be of better quality than ANYTHING you can buy new today. The older, the better ... to a point!
Your absolutely correct Smitty within chassis build quality & shelf life . The era you quoted varies from manufacturer & model some units remained old school in construction longer . Unfortunately todays fuel quality severely impacts the final product . Fortunately quality 2T oils have helped protect our investments , along with a knowledgible operator & sharp chain today's saws can provide a adequate life cycle in homeowner scenerio . Its in the commercial market that plastic shells & extended high rpm operation reduces todays saw life expectancy , 300-500 hour life cycles are the norm . I have younger friends & acquaintances who cut commercially & replace their saws every 2 -3 yrs more often in the East Coast hardwood sector . As was previously mentioned by another member much of the upgrades within saws over the last 50 yrs has been within creature comforts . Ergonomics such as efficient AV systems allow longer usage without discomfort or operator injury . Auto chain brakes speak for themselves as do auto chain oiler systems , although I appreciated the secondary manual oiler option . The more recent addition of micro processors & fuel management systems has simplified the safe & efficient operation of today's saws . Operator error within tuning has been removed , only proper fuel , oil & mix ratio usage to the application remains . Personally , I prefer to tune my saw , daily to the barometric pressure & temperature & usage the saw will be subjected to . Anyhow , in the hands of a knowledgible owner today's saws can provide a reasonable life cycle & reliable operation .

Normally I try to stay out of this sort of stuff, but here's a couple serial number plates for you to think about:
View attachment 1082529
View attachment 1082530

The Poulan Pro nameplate was created for North America by Electrolux for the 1988 model year; they Purchased Beaird-Poulan/Weed Eater in 1986. This new nameplate also carried over models from Pioneer/Partner, of which both saws above are examples.
The 325 is a Partner 5500(5000 chassis saw) and as you can see, still built in Sweden like all the other saws using that chassis and others that shared components(Jred 490/590, Husky 50 etc.) The 455 is a Pioneer P45, and built in Ontario. Neither manufactured in the USA.

Those 325's are awesome for sure. Damn shame Electrolux raped and pillaged Partner like they did then just discarded them.

Like I said if someone would say the Partner 500 series was one of the more durable engines, I would not disagree.

Those 325's are awesome for sure. Damn shame Electrolux raped and pillaged Partner like they did then just discarded them.

Like I said if someone would say the Partner 500 series was one of the more durable engines, I would not disagree.
That's what Parent Companies do , weaken the subsiduaries for their profit , then dissolve the company & its debts . Husquarna did the same when under the Electrolux umbrella . But yes , it's a shame !!

Both the 500 & 5000 series & the vernerable 655 were all quality saws manufactured just South of London Ontario . I saw a lot of the counter-vibes in sheep's clothing as Sear Craftsman units much like the Husky & J-Red just the model designations changed !

I got a Poulan 2050 and it's called a Pioneer, they must of named it after the old saws. (maybe) It's a pretty good runner for as small as it is. I use it Lot for limbing. Very light weight. I've never bought a Poulon, but have been given many of them. Had more problems with broken plastic than engines, I'm talking newer ones though, never had an older one. Plastic parts are still easy to get and not gonna break the bank getting them. I resale most of them. I have never had the opportunity to get a hold of a Pioneer brand. Don't seem to be many around my neck of the woods. Thanks for that history on the saws.
My Service Catalogue shows it as Poulan 33 class saw 1997 model year introduction within Arkansas .

View attachment 1082529
View attachment 1082530

Poulan was bastardized so often by Electrolux & Husquarna & Partner you needed a roadmap & accurate Service Manuals to recognize the exact DNA . I Toured the Peterbough Manufacturing facility in the day ( 1969 ) Also attended numerous GTG festivities at the London Ontario Assembly Plant that was an annual Customer Appreciation venture . Actually today it continues with the Poulan Pro venture , where units are manufactured very little if any within Sweden , or Sheveport . More cheap units , are produced out of plants within Arkansas , Brazil , China & France Brother ! Hows the weather out North , hope your not still receiving any of those snow storms from out west ?

I’ll be honest I’ve always thought those black and yellow or all yellow Partners are some ugly ducklings! But I know looks mean nothing! Those are fine saws! Darn near bulletproof. The ones in my experience were not for Suzy Homemaker. That being said about them being ugly ducklings? So are Mcculloch big block saws and I think those are some beasts! They often can be the tortoise that beats the hare.

I’ll be honest I’ve always thought those black and yellow or all yellow Partners are some ugly ducklings! But I know looks mean nothing! Those are fine saws! Darn near bulletproof. The ones in my experience were not for Suzy Homemaker. That being said about them being ugly ducklings? So are Mcculloch big block saws and I think those are some beasts! They often can be the tortoise that beats the hare.
My uncle had both a 70's series Mac 125 Super Pro & the Partner 655 , he finally broke down & let me run both during a wood processing session , the fall prior to his passing . Scary saws , that could carry a 36 " bar running full house all day brother , unfortunately not sure I would want to make a living either cutting BC fir or East Coast hardwoods . I occasionally run my P51 with its 36 " semi skip Carelton in his memory at Moose Camp lol.

Also, you might call this a stupid effort, or flat out trying to joust a windmill. But I’m currently trying to get in touch with someone at Husqvarna in the designing department to plead with them to consider making Professional Grade chainsaws with the Poulan name on it again. I think their name does need to come out of the mud with a worthy product like they once had. As well as Mcculloch. I know they love to market their Husqvarna XP series as the king of the hill but we all know this is an intentional, and ridiculously structured hierarchy for strategic marketing purposes. But it’s also an insult to anyone who knows what a good Poulan and Mcculloch once were. Furthermore, orange husky saws can be every bit as bad as a box store Poulan but a good bit of homeowners don’t know that. Husqvarna pro series saws are only better because they won’t make any pro series saws for the other companies that bought and cannibalized.

They are keeping things this way and at least me as a buyer can see through this manufactured nonsense. They really should understand that if they started making more pro series saws for Poulan and Mcculloch, there would definitely be a strong market for them alongside their XP saws. I love me a good Husqvarna saw, but I don’t really like it when corporations become so big that they buy out all the competition and leave the customer in a position where their say means nothing anymore, because such a corporation grew beyond that as a necessity.

I’m sure there are far more reasons they wouldn’t something like this than I may be aware of, but it’s not like it wasn’t deliberate and bot of their own making.

It’s pie in the sky but the worst that could happen is they say no.

I can't remember exactly but I think it was an old jonsered 440 super. A little heavy but a workhorse of a saw . And then of course I still have a little pioneer p40 which is a loud obnoxious saw but it packs alot of power for a smaller saw and it's die hard , can't kill em ,also have a pioneer 1074 , needs a coil now but from 1974 that's pretty damn good I would say lol
When saws were saws & men were men , those Super 440,s were not for the faint of heart . Your 1074 would run similar to my 11-60 nice balanced unit with a 20 " bar running semi skip !

Like I said, you need to learn your history better and I'm not going to go deep into it with you. Your statement that a Poulan 245 was a clone of a Pioneer saw was just insane.

Also I will just say you need to learn the names Emab and Huron Park as thats where most all if not all of the Pioneer production went after the Peterborough plant was closed and where the bigger Pioneer based Poulan Pro saws came from.
Well aware of the Emab Sweden connection , as I am aware of Pioneers original design merger with IEL & OMC . in the day along with their start up within Burnaby British Columbia , prior to moving South East to Peterborough . I have all the Service Cat'l binders from 59 thru 83 . After that I really have no interest to be honest . Pioneer has been a family tradition along with Sachs-Dolmar via Uncles & Cousins ! Anyhow enough said .. Cheers ! :cheers:

Also, you might call this a stupid effort, or flat out trying to joust a windmill. But I’m currently trying to get in touch with someone at Husqvarna in the designing department to plead with them to consider making Professional Grade chainsaws with the Poulan name on it again. I think their name does need to come out of the mud with a worthy product like they once had. As well as Mcculloch. I know they love to market their Husqvarna XP series as the king of the hill but we all know this is an intentional, and ridiculously structured hierarchy for strategic marketing purposes. But it’s also an insult to anyone who knows what a good Poulan and Mcculloch once were. Furthermore, orange husky saws can be every bit as bad as a box store Poulan but a good bit of homeowners don’t know that. Husqvarna pro series saws are only better because they won’t make any pro series saws for the other companies that bought and cannibalized.

They are keeping things this way and at least me as a buyer can see through this manufactured nonsense. They really should understand that if they started making more pro series saws for Poulan and Mcculloch, there would definitely be a strong market for them alongside their XP saws. I love me a good Husqvarna saw, but I don’t really like it when corporations become so big that they buy out all the competition and leave the customer in a position where their say means nothing anymore, because such a corporation grew beyond that as a necessity.

I’m sure there are far more reasons they wouldn’t something like this than I may be aware of, but it’s not like it wasn’t deliberate and bot of their own making.

It’s pie in the sky but the worst that could happen is they say no.
Well there’s only one way to find out and it’s to bother them about it! If you don’t say anything to them, they’ll just keep on with their intentionally lower tiered insults of chainsaws, that once were some of the best wood cutting tools you could buy. Sure they’ll probably keep doing this regardless, but it at least let’s them know that there are people that see through the nonsense.

Hey friend, I fully understand that we may all not agree with one another all the time and you are definitely set in your position, and so is Mark. The world is not lesser of a place because of it and you guys both seem to know quite a bit. So let’s keep this enjoyable for each other for both y’all’s sakes and the others who may want to chime in. We don’t always all have to see eye to eye with everything but truly, this thread was really intended to be a positive and upbeat one that helps us remember what our most durable and reliable saws were. I never intended it to turn into a sparring match.

Thanks for understanding my friend.
No problem HS , your absolutely right ! ;)

Much as I like those saws, noodling is not their strong suite. That narrow mag clutch cover and the handle brace plugs up fast.

I got reminded of that just the other day when I had this 3700 out for testing and tried to noodle a round up. View attachment 1082476
When Poulan were quality products , Counter vibes were available all throughout Northern & Eastern Ontario & Quebec , often via Sears !

Back