What saw for the farm? New 290 used 210 or used 390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will be pleased and should watch the upcoming build-off stumpy and myself are hosting there will be some amazing stuff comeing out of a clam saw

I would spend my $400 on a nice used 044 magnum or even a ms360, I would even pony up a extra $50 and pick up a 064, these all weigh about the same as the ms 391 but have better performance, you will ether be cutting more wood each time out or be done cutting sooner. The 290, 310, and 390 are all good saws but you said you want performance. Don't shy away from a used saw, most of my best saws I got used, all but my 441 which I got new.

I cut about the same as you...we burn about 7-9 cords a year and I cut it all with my 290 with 18" bar. For 90% of my cutting it works great. The other 10% of the time a larger saw would be nice, but can't justify the $$ for the usage. Remember to keep the chains sharp and the lube full, and you will be very happy with the farm boss.

This was also my first REAL saw...and has been great for learning.

Tomorrow Ill go to another dealer and see what they can do. Either way I want this thing by this weekend when I go north.

Kujo:

Here's the invoice for my saw. Print it out and take it along as "persuasion". Looks like Stihl had a price increase at the beginning of this year. I wanted an extra bar, and 3 extra chains, along with the oil (to get the 2 year warranty) and a carrying case. I got a $33 discount on a $500 purchase. $380 is list price with an 18" bar. You should be able to find a dealer who can do a little better than that. If you're gonna pay list price, besides that gas can, have him throw in an extra chain at no charge. A gas can and a chain ain't costing him THAT much. And shop around. Go to as many Stihl dealers as you can. But don't spend $30 in gas to save $20. Also, get a feel for each dealer. I'd pay a little more if I felt more comfortable with a particular dealer.

Don <><

attachment.php

I bought a used 029 with a leaky tank and took it apart to replace it. It is not the easiest saw to work on, BUT...you shouldn't have to work on it if you take care of it. They really are built like tanks, and parts are always readily available. One thing to consider, besides the .325 pitch 18" bar, is whether to pass on the safety chain. If you have done alot of cutting (and perhaps you already know this from experience) the difference between a safety chain and more agressive chain is significant in terms of cutting time. As long as you don't go over the 18" I would think you would be OK. Mine was an old 029 with a 20" bar and the safety chain, and it did seem a little too long and a little slow, although with the 20" not sure it would pull alot more through a thick cut.

Once when I was out of town a tree fell across the drive blocking my wife's car. I had to laugh as I talked her through starting the 029 (couple of pulls) and she was able to cut it into pieces to get it out of the way.

If they have a saw coming, why not just wait and get it when it arrives rather than start the shopping process over again?

Because I know what the best they can do for me is and I want to find better. If I buy another saw I will tell them why and not to hold it for me. And I don't think its rude to have them order something they need in the store anyway. If it was custom or a special order I wouldn't do it like this.

Don- Thanks for the invoice! I like the way you think. Im looking at a 18" bar so I may be looking at a price a little north of what you got but It looks like you got a very fair deal. The beauty and the curse for me is I live in South Minneapolis so I have 8 dealers within about 15 miles of me. Even a "Elite dealer" whatever that is. I should start with just making some calls tomorrow and see what I can turn up. It would be nice to get a chain or two with the deal. It looks like you worked it out to a even $500 and paid cash?

Last edited:
Unless you are a person who knows how and likes to work on saws I would go the new route with a warranty. Have the Dealer tune it and make sure it is right and then you have nothing to worry about.

I purchased a ms290 w/20" almost 2 years ago; got it from a mom & pop shop, not the big "ACE Hardware" shop here. It's kinda heavy, but it I break it out for the larger stuff or for noodling pine for the hens (instead of buying hay). I really enjoy the engineering of it -- it's always a treat.

Next up: Muffler mod!

You won't be disapointed with the saw. They run great with a 16" or 18". If you go with a 20" make sure it's .325. 3/8" on a 20" bar is too hard on the saw. It will cut it but just not as fast as it should.

+1 for me here also. I like these range saws with the same size bars as well. It looks like the warranty is a selling point, and I have to admit that would be an appeal to me as well if I were buying the saw new (with no present knowledge). If you were not in a hurry, a nice used MS361 would be ideal for what you're doing and should last for years if well cared for. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed with your
present work load! ~HAPPY SAWING~!

I bought a used 029 with a leaky tank and took it apart to replace it. It is not the easiest saw to work on, BUT...you shouldn't have to work on it if you take care of it. They really are built like tanks, and parts are always readily available. One thing to consider, besides the .325 pitch 18" bar, is whether to pass on the safety chain. If you have done alot of cutting (and perhaps you already know this from experience) the difference between a safety chain and more agressive chain is significant in terms of cutting time. As long as you don't go over the 18" I would think you would be OK. Mine was an old 029 with a 20" bar and the safety chain, and it did seem a little too long and a little slow, although with the 20" not sure it would pull alot more through a thick cut.

Once when I was out of town a tree fell across the drive blocking my wife's car. I had to laugh as I talked her through starting the 029 (couple of pulls) and she was able to cut it into pieces to get it out of the way.

Thanks for bringing this up. I was thinking about chains and green Vs. yellow. I have used chainsaws on and off my whole life and know how to use them safely but Im nowhere near a pro and have a good amount to learn. I try to be conservative when it comes to things that will kill you fast. Of corse I like the idea of a nice aggressive chain but I don't want to have an animal on my hands. I guess I just don't know how bad a yellow chain is in comparison. If its just a matter of handling the saw properly and not doing stupid things I can handle that. If im going to have an animal on my hands with a yellow I can afford to take my time. Im not using a saw to put food on the table so time isn't exactly money to me. How bad are the aggressive chains? I have heard that the chains these days are so much better that even the yellows are relatively safe. so far my plan was to get the regular safety chain and change it if its an issue down the line.

A yellow non-safety chain isnt going to be an issue as long as you're smart with a chainsaw. Remember, a chain can cut wood, it also does a helluva job on flesh (even green safety chain).

A 290 sounds like a good fit for you. They're pretty tough saws. I would recommend getting at least one extra chain with the saw. Never a good day when you wreck your only chain on a nail, fence or a rock and have to shut down.

By the way, once you buy the saw forget AS ever existed. Or you'll soon have more saws than you know what you'll ever do with.

I think you are getting good advice here. Given your choices, buy new, get the 290!

If you are going to go used don't throw down that sort of cash on homeowner grade...$300 could get you an 036/361, a 038, or 044. Far superior than the 310/390 will ever be. I use a 390 quite a bit at work and its one of only a few saws that I actually notice how clumsy it feels. Too heavy for its performance.

Get the 290!

I think you are getting good advice here. Given your choices, buy new, get the 290!

If you are going to go used don't throw down that sort of cash on homeowner grade...$300 could get you an 036/361, a 038, or 044. Far superior than the 310/390 will ever be. I use a 390 quite a bit at work and its one of only a few saws that I actually notice how clumsy it feels. Too heavy for its performance.

Get the 290
!

Well now,

I'd certainly like to hear you explain that................since the 290 and the 390 are exactly the same saw except for piston size and bar length, how is the 390 "Too heavy for its performance" and the 290 what you recommend???:laugh:

Mike

I have no complaints about the 290. Well, ok, the oiler is a little stingy, but fine if you use thinner grade bar oil. It does everything I've asked of it. While it's not the most powerful saw that I've ever used, it works fine for my 6 or so cord a year.

I hear with a muffler mod, they are even better. I haven't tried it yet though.

OK folks this is how the cookie crumbles. I got a call from the dealer I went to yesterday and hes ordering it up and it may be in as soon as tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I asked if he could throw in a couple extra chains and he can do that. He suggested I do it in a 3/8 chain on a 18" bar so Im going with that. If I end up with a new saw under warranty with three chains for a retail price im good with that. But the deal ain't done tell the checks clear as they say. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well now,

I'd certainly like to hear you explain that................since the 290 and the 390 are exactly the same saw except for piston size and bar length, how is the 390 "Too heavy for its performance" and the 290 what you recommend???:laugh:

Mike

You're right. What I said doesn't seem to make sense. I wasn't comparing the 390 to the 290 when I made my comments about the 390. To me the 390 handles like an 046 yet without the power.

In the end I am recommending the 290 because it's new and a far better buy than the used 390 the OP mentioned.

I apologize for the confusing comments.

Back