What saws do you use for general ground work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guys use a ms211 with a 16" bar or ms310 with a 25". My top handle saws are not allowed to be used on the ground, too easy for them to one hand them.

Pro saws will last better in pros hands, but they are not more resistant to being lost, crushed, or straight gassed

Straight gassed! Yeah, tell me about it. I owned an awesome-shaped Stihl 036 Pro...

... right up until the point it froze up. Found out it was my bad because I had 2 identical gas cans and the one with the labeling "Mixed Gas Only" had the ink fade and voila'... straight unleaded did the saw in by an inattentive worker who knew better. :msp_sad:

StihlRockin'

We run 372s and 346s behind the chippers with short bars. Anything really big we'll grab a 394.

Every truck has the climbers 200t a 361 and a 660 there are ussually 2 or 3 200ts because we run two or three man crews and everyone knows how to climb there is the foreman, 2nd man, and brush hauler but most o the time even the brush hauling guy knows the basics

Don,t mean to jack the thread but man that is a lot of equipment in your avatar. Someone sure knows how to be successful, Most of us will only dream to get to that point in business. For ground work most used are 2- ms250, small,light and easy to start. And a O34 super.

For general ground work............ MS261. A great light saw and a big improvement over the 026.

For bigger stuff I'm grabbing my 361 (rarely- only cause it's sitting there)

For big stuff I'll use my modded 044, then the 441, cause its soooo smooth and lastly my modded 046. Cuts like there is no tomorrow, but loud is an understatement. You need to use earplugs under you earmuffs. :)

But for general groundwork, a MS261.

A lot of you guys are mentioning some variety of top handled saw. I'm sure that your average groundie would be delighted to have a 200T hanging out by the chipper, but no top-handle saw is a good saw for groundies.

1. They have insufficient control for fast paced limbing; there is too little distance between the handles to give good control.
2. It's hard enough to keep a tree climber with both hands on the saw. Groundies are almost certain to cut corners and make one-handed cuts if you give them a top handled saw.
3. With the lower control and the shorter body, your groundies are almost certain to hit the dirt a little more often with a top handled saw than if they were using a longer bodied ground saw.​

Cuts, kickbacks, and dull chains are sure to follow. I forbid my guys to ever touch our top handled saws.

Besides, do you really want your backup climbing saw to get dulled hitting the pavement beside the chipper?

Wait! All those chipper combo's, cranes, and aerial devices with only one grapple truck? How does that work out?
There's two in the pic but their Facebook page claims 3. Either way, helluva operation there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was a young man with a head full of steam to make money , I would wanna be on that grapple , dude prolly works 7/12s ! Awesome . When I worked over in pennsy. The grapple truck left first to grab all wood missed the day before and then he started cleaning up that days mess around 1pm he as always making 60/80 hrs a week

Johnh is john from tree tech inc. I was justing looking at there fb page this morning. Glad to see some of the boys from big bad wood showed up over here on As.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back