What saws respond best to porting and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john thornton

Hawkdriver (ret)
Reaction score
New member on this site, and have read lots of threads on porting. Why do some saws show big gains, and why do others not get the same glowing reports.

A 385/390 is one of the biggest wow saws ive run after being ported, i didnt think much of them stock..ive heard guys say a ms241 wasnt a huge improvement after porting but i dont know mine is stock still , a 550 and 562 are two saws i could live with just the way they are !

A 385/390 is one of the biggest wow saws ive run after being ported, i didnt think much of them stock..ive heard guys say a ms241 wasnt a huge improvement after porting but i dont know mine is stock still , a 550 and 562 are two saws i could live with just the way they are !

A 660 and putting a old non decomp cylinder on with port work is a real big difference also.

The better the saws stock porting and compression and timing is, the less dramatic the gains will be.
I understand what you said and that makes sense. I am new to chainsaws, but have several years experience with turbine engines. Since I retired I have discovered Dolmar saws and have brought several back to life after owner abuse. Removing cat mufflers makes a difference, but non cat muffler mods do not show much difference. Not many threads talk about WOW factor gains from this brand.

I understand what you said and that makes sense. I am new to chainsaws, but have several years experience with turbine engines. Since I retired I have discovered Dolmar saws and have brought several back to life after owner abuse. Removing cat mufflers makes a difference, but non cat muffler mods do not show much difference. Not many threads talk about WOW factor gains from this brand.

There's a few of them that have some wow factor. The 143,153, and 166 are torque monsters. The 7900 is a hot rod out of the box.

There's a few of them that have some wow factor. The 143,153, and 166 are torque monsters. The 7900 is a hot rod out of the box.

Yes, and though a 7900 is very strong stock, I've seen some of them turned into monsters with a little spit-polishing on the ports.

Yes, and though a 7900 is very strong stock, I've seen some of them turned into monsters with a little spit-polishing on the ports.

I have long thought that there was not much to gain on a 7900, as the saw is already excellent stock. But this one is really impressive,

He say the saw is tuned at 16.500 rpm, thas seems a little high for me, but this saw is damn strong:rock:

Latest posts

Back