What saws respond best to porting and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site, from NY.

Different model saws respond to different things, and sometimes the same model even has changes over time. Some saws respond well to a muff mod and lower restriction air filter, others not so much. Some saws will respond more to porting better than others for various reasons, but usually if you get to run a ported saw from a knowledgeable builder, you will want one. Even great running saws like the 562 will run a good deal stronger when ported.

Go to a GTG sometime and you will see what I mean. It is addicting!

That said, always remember that a sharp chain is one of the most important things to make your saw perform well, and it does not matter if it is stock or ported, the chain makes a big difference.

I've had ported saws in 50, 60, 70, and 90cc's and I found that the best results were in the 70 and 90cc saws where as the smaller ones run fine with just a muff mod, but that's just my opinion and worth only what you paid for it.

Yes, and though a 7900 is very strong stock, I've seen some of them turned into monsters with a little spit-polishing on the ports.
Have rebuilt a 7900 and a couple of 5100s saws and like the way they handle oak and hickory. How do you "spit-polish" the ports?

I'm not sure who ever said there isn't much to be gained from porting a 7900. I think they must have been drinking too much.
I have heard that said about the 200T's though.
Rest assured that 7900's have a LOT of potential when ported. They are strong out the box though, that's for sure.

Welcome to the site, from NY.

Different model saws respond to different things, and sometimes the same model even has changes over time. Some saws respond well to a muff mod and lower restriction air filter, others not so much. Some saws will respond more to porting better than others for various reasons, but usually if you get to run a ported saw from a knowledgeable builder, you will want one. Even great running saws like the 562 will run a good deal stronger when ported.

Go to a GTG sometime and you will see what I mean. It is addicting!

That said, always remember that a sharp chain is one of the most important things to make your saw perform well, and it does not matter if it is stock or ported, the chain makes a big difference.
Thanks for the welcome! I saw the information on the Western Kentucky GTG but was not sure if new members should crash that party. Getting the best performance out of a saw has consumed my spare time and have caught just a touch of CAD. Maybe if I go without lunch for a couple of months I can save enough to get a saw ported.:)

Sharp chains is something I leaned years ago when wood was our heat.

Not sure what saws you have, but my old 044s responded very well to dp muff and HD-2 filters, with the tune a little richer. They are very strong like that, I have often cut with (or better) than 460s and 660s when using a 24" bar.

Thanks for the welcome! I saw the information on the Western Kentucky GTG but was not sure if new members should crash that party. Getting the best performance out of a saw has consumed my spare time and have caught just a touch of CAD. Maybe if I go without lunch for a couple of months I can save enough to get a saw ported.:)

Sharp chains is something I leaned years ago when wood was our heat.

What part of TN are you in?

Back