What saws respond best to porting and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for the responses and the welcome, much appreciated. Despite the fact that I own Dolmar saws. :laugh:

Hey, every company makes some good saws. As long as they meet your needs, and you are happy with them, that is all that matters. If everyone liked the same thing, we would only have one saw company (how boring, what would we fight about?).

A 385/390 is one of the biggest wow saws ive run after being ported, i didnt think much of them stock..ive heard guys say a ms241 wasnt a huge improvement after porting but i dont know mine is stock still , a 550 and 562 are two saws i could live with just the way they are !
Next Spring I am getting my 385 ported, I am excited to see the difference.

That was a gross oversimplification. A saw must have the internals to handle more power...........oh never mind. Some do, some don't

I still think ported saws are dangerous, and just too damn loud.

Sometimes I agree about the too loud part for sure.

A 385/390 is one of the biggest wow saws ive run after being ported, i didnt think much of them stock..ive heard guys say a ms241 wasnt a huge improvement after porting but i dont know mine is stock still , a 550 and 562 are two saws i could live with just the way they are !

+1, the wow factor on my 390 was probably the most of any of the saws that I had ported in terms of how much it improved over stock

I'm not sure about that theory....I pretty sure I got more out of the 390 than I did the the 395 (both saws masterboobed).
Although I must admit I need to put some more time on the 395 to be certain of that fact.
Might come right down to the particular saw and not so much the CC'S. For example: my regular (71cc) 372xp is
noticeably stronger than the 372XPW(75cc) before and after porting. I expected the XPW to come out on top.
It's not night and day, but can tell the 71cc is stronger. I know Brad has stated this as well several times. I can see that he's likely right.
YMMV as they say.

I have a 2188 that stumpy did ,wow what a difference. 372 that mweba did ,same thing, and a 346 by AE engine works, all put smiles on yer face.
is it worth the price ? prolly not,but just like any man toys we cant leave it alone!
Is it worth it to you? then do it. if they know what they r doin there will be nothin but smiles!!!:D:chainsaw:

Back