What should I upgrade to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in your boat with hundreds of trees to cut here. And a 250 (really an 025). I use the 025 for thinning smaller trees and limbing with. I use the 361 for the modrate size and bigger trees. I typically run an 18 inch bar on it, but I have a 24 inch bar and it will drop the really big trees. It is slower than the 460, or the 440/441, but if you do not have that many big ones, it is lighter and easier to manage, and will do just fine. Nothing here on this property that the 361 cannot drop, in my view. It is a big step above a 250 (maybe 2 steps). If you have bigger stuff to cut, a 440 or 460 is good choice. They are prone to more vibration and wear and tear on you though. I have posted some threads on cutting with the 460 here on AS. If I was cutting more bigger stuff I would venture to suggest a Dolmar 7900, which is probably what I will get if we start dropping some of the big trees here.

Sure the 361 is a great saw with a sweet spot for an 18 or 20 " bar but it a lot of work to buck up a 40 inch white oak. You need a bigger saw for bigger trees (70 cc class at least). I have the 361 great grandfather the 036 and it is a wonderfull saw but my back is sore from leaning on a 036 to cut up fence row wolf trees. Just got a Jonsered 2171 and love it.

Arguing brands is just nit pick'n they will all do the job especially the pro level saws that everyone is recommending. 500 trees is a real task so get good right sized tools.

Stihl 192T 14", Stihl 036 16" & 20", Jonsered 2171 20" & 24"

Last year they offered the 390 at MS250/Husky 345 price level, but I didn't want it, and didn't bite - what should I have used it for?

They are rated at 3.4kW/4.6hp here, as is the 361.
You already have a bunch of saws you hardly use so what would be the problem with adding another to the pile? ;)

You already have a bunch of saws you hardly use so what would be the problem with adding another to the pile? ;)

That is because of my leg injury, and Witchys health situation, and you know it, I believe... GRRRRR..:buttkick: :buttkick: :monkey:

Moron!!!!

Last edited:
The 460 gets it done. I recently bucked a 36" diameter tree with a 024 with a 20" bar and a new chain. It did it, but my 460 would have done it a lot faster. Staying with the same brand saw is a lot easier to move chain and bars from one saw to the other.

The brand thing really does not apply in this guy's case though. No b/c's are swappable between the Stihl 250 and 460.

Actually yes, but it was new and had a .325 RM chain on it - like they sell them here - heavy chunk of plastic, anyway - feels totally different to handle, vs the nimble 361.....

I do not know what it is about the .325, but I do not like those size bars. I have 2 of them: 16 and 18 inch. I prefer the picco b/c's to the .325 on the 230/250. I tried the .325 on the 290, and flipped right back to the 3/8. The 290 runs better with a 3/8 "REAL" b/c on it. Even the 20 inch. I have 16, 18, 20 and 24 inch 3/8 bars. Its the bigger teeth I suppose. I also use RM (and RM2 for the real crappy stuff), and it is slower chain, but most of what I cut here is slash, firewood bucking, or stumping, and there is a lot of dirt, charcoal and crud to cut through. It stays sharp longer, and takes more abuse.

No, the 290/310/390 is not as nimble as the 361. It has a different feel to it. If I am bucking firewood, I like using the 290. Better feedback from the saw, and I let the log carry the weight. Power-wise in that situation (modded muffler on the 290 here) there is little difference. No need to be nimble making straight cuts by the dozen. And doing that stuff, the 290 blasts through, compared to the similarly priced 250. The 250 is in an entirely different (and lesser) class. You would have to work a 250 to death to get the same cuts as a 290, let alone a 390. But limbing, and cutting small trees, I prefer the 025 (same as the 250). Probably why I like running the picco bars on them as well. With the .325, its like there is a big bar waiving around in front of it, getting in the way. Not the feel I get with the 290 and a 20 inch 3/8 bar. Something way more obvious than that.

As for plastic, have you looked at a new Huskys in the price range of the 390lately? They SCREAMED PLASTIC at me on the shelf yesterday (was looking for an Intenz bar for the Echo). Ooops... off topic. Sorry.

Last edited:
That is because of my leg injury, and Witchys health situation, and you know it, I believe... GRRRRR..:buttkick: :buttkick: :monkey:

Moron!!!!

That wasn't what i was implying...but ohh well. You've said in the past you bought the 372 eventhough you really don't have much use for it anyhow. Regardless....your saw lineup is overkill for the amount of wood you need to cut I believe. Fact of the matter is your saw bashing of the same models gets old. Most of the saws you comment on you haven't really ever used much, if at all.

In regards to health issues you don't have a clue who or who doesn't have issues on this board. The only reason people know you two do is because you've publicized it while others don't feel the need to use this board to publicize their life details.

I do not know what it is about the .325, but I do not like those size bars. I have 2 of them: 16 and 18 inch. I prefer the picco b/c's to the .325 on the 230/250. I tried the .325 on the 290, and flipped right back to the 3/8. The 290 runs better with a 3/8 "REAL" b/c on it. Even the 20 inch. I have 16, 18, 20 and 24 inch 3/8 bars. Its the bigger teeth I suppose. I also use RM (and RM2 for the real crappy stuff), and it is slower chain, but most of what I cut here is slash, firewood bucking, or stumping, and there is a lot of dirt, charcoal and crud to cut through. It stays sharp longer, and takes more abuse.

No, the 290/310/390 is not as nimble as the 361. It has a different feel to it. If I am bucking firewood, I like using the 290. Better feedback from the saw, and I let the log carry the weight. Power-wise in that situation (modded muffler on the 290 here) there is little difference. No need to be nimble making straight cuts by the dozen. And doing that stuff, the 290 blasts through, compared to the similarly priced 250. The 250 is in an entirely different (and lesser) class. You would have to work a 250 to death to get the same cuts as a 290, let alone a 390. But limbing, and cutting small trees, I prefer the 025 (same as the 250). Probably why I like running the picco bars on them as well. With the .325, its like there is a big bar waiving around in front of it, getting in the way. Not the feel I get with the 290 and a 20 inch 3/8 bar. Something way more obvious than that.

As for plastic, have you looked at a new Huskys in the price range of the 390lately? They SCREAMED PLASTIC at me on the shelf yesterday (was looking for an Intenz bar for the Echo). Ooops... off topic. Sorry.

Replace that Picco bars and chain with .325NK, and I believe you will be even happier.......:clap: :clap:

Moron!!!!
I think you are like many of us on here you don't need but want!I could get by fine with two saws. I could cut the odd big log with a 60cc saw but it is a hell of allot more fun with a 100cc saw. Let's face it troll has a saw addiction!

I think you are like many of us on here you don't need but want!I could get by fine with two saws. I could cut the odd big log with a 60cc saw but it is a hell of allot more fun with a 100cc saw. Let's face it troll has a saw addiction!

Yeah I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that...but him using it as an excuse for not buying the 390 when it was cheap doesn't make much sense. The real reason is he totally hates that family of saws and he cannot fathom anyone buying one...but the 290 alone has probably outsold most models he owns except possibly the 272/371/372. Its just another opportunity for him to take a jab at the 290 family of saws eventhough most members already know his position on them.

That wasn't what i was implying...but ohh well. You've said in the past you bought the 372 eventhough you really don't have much use for it anyhow. Regardless....your saw lineup is overkill for the amount of wood you need to cut I believe. Fact of the matter is your saw bashing of the same models gets old. Most of the saws you comment on you haven't really ever used much, if at all.

In regards to health issues you don't have a clue who or who doesn't have issues on this board. The only reason people know you two do is because you've publicized it while others don't feel the need to use this board to publicize their life details.

Well, well - some of your thoughts are true - like the overkill, I have stated that lots of times myself.

What's wrong with being a bit open on a web-site, when you have problems????? :) :greenchainsaw:

I never said there was anything wrong with that either...to each their own. I was just saying that I'm sure your not the only one with health problems on this site...but a lot of others do not divulge that on a public forum.

I never said there was anything wrong with that either...to each their own. I was just saying that I'm sure your not the only one with health problems on this site...but a lot of others do not divulge that on a public forum.
I have no problems with reading about this........It is a public forum..........Most people here IMO consider the Troll and Witchy
2witch.gif
as friends and care about their well being........I know I do
icon_Kool.gif
Just feel lucky that it is not you and your wife that it happened to.

Last edited:
I have no problems with reading about this........It is a public forum..........Most people here IMO consider the Troll and Witchy
2witch.gif
as friends and care about their well being........I know I do
icon_Kool.gif
Just feel lucky that it is not you and your wife that it happened to.

Yeah I never said there was anything wrong with it...I just said just because you don't hear it from others it doesn't mean that it isn't going on, they just choose not to talk about it on a public forum.

Latest posts

Back