What size of chain and bars would you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechief

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good Morning guys,

For the two saws I just recently acquired, (038 AV & 044) what size of bars and chains would you guys put on them? My MS390 already has a 20" bar and chain on it. Just looking for some opinions from the experts as to what I should use on those two saws and where the best place to purchase them would be. Thanks again guys.

I buy my bars and chains through Baileys. They have a good price and ship fast. The bar size all depends on what you are cutting. I try and go with the shortest bar I can. This makes the saw lighter, faster to sharpen,cheaper chains,and the saw has more power with a smaller bar. I have a couple Stihls and I'll tell you what I usually run.

044 18"
460 magnum 20"
066 24"
MS880 36"
200T 14"
200T 16"

My huskys

365 special with BB kit 24"
359 16"

Dolmar
5100s 16"

I know most of these saws will carry bigger bars without a problem. But when I want to cut and really lean on a saw I can.

Scott

Mornen Chief, I would run 3/8 chain. All those bars should interchange unless you are running .325 on the 390. if so, you might want to change sprocket and scrap bar to make things easier. I have a 28" which should take care of the biggest I need to cut. Most firewood I like the 18" as it just cuts much faster.:cheers: Also +1 on what STL said!

Last edited:
I'd say 20" and 24", just to keep it as common as possible. I have 2 different saws (Makita and a Stihl) that luckily take the same chain. It's easy knowing any chain I grab will fit.

You could just have the 20" on the 390 and use it on the 34 and put something longer on the big boy....who say's you need 3 bars? You may find the 20" bar gets the most use.

I think diversity is the best plan. My son just took a GOL class and the instructor recommended using a 16" for felling in our area. That seemed a bit short to me but he makes a good case for it. I run a 20" on my larger Stihl and a 14" for the small one. We're getting an MS441 for my son's college graduation this year. (The kid wants a chain saw for a graduation present) So we have gone and ordered a series of interchangeable bars from Bailey's, 14, 16, 18, 20. 24" seems too big to me unless you are bucking up some four foot logs. Got any of those in Ontario?

There is the odd times when I come across some massive trees where a 24" bar would be handy but I see what other guys are saying. Maybe just stick with a 16" or 18" and a 20" to keep things simple.

I think diversity is the best plan. My son just took a GOL class and the instructor recommended using a 16" for felling in our area. That seemed a bit short to me but he makes a good case for it. I run a 20" on my larger Stihl and a 14" for the small one. We're getting an MS441 for my son's college graduation this year. (The kid wants a chain saw for a graduation present) So we have gone and ordered a series of interchangeable bars from Bailey's, 14, 16, 18, 20. 24" seems too big to me unless you are bucking up some four foot logs. Got any of those in Ontario?

That's pretty awesome, My parents are getting me a 660 for my college graduation may 9th. I told them its better then money, and well def get more use :clap:

My line up:
029 super (cutting partner's) 3/8 .050 20"
036 Both of them same as above
066 3/8 .050 20", 24", 36". 3/8 .063 32"
I am thinking about getting rid of the 32" because it is my odd ball. I also have a 18" that will fit a stihl. I don't have any chains for it though.

Ray

It depends on what size wood you are cutting. I agree that an 18" or 20" bar is the most versatile for firewood cutting, but if your like me and you get your wood all from standing timber sometimes a longer bar is handy. My 372xp, which would be equivalent to your 044 wears a 24" bar and it balances quite nicely. It came in handy this weekend when a downed a good size Manitoba Maple! Either a 20" or 24" bar I would say for your 044.
Tim

I have a new Stihl MS 390 with modified muffler and a 16 inch bar. It's an amazing saw that could easily handle a much longer bar but the 16 incher fits my needs just fine.

Good Morning guys,

For the two saws I just recently acquired, (038 AV & 044) what size of bars and chains would you guys put on them? My MS390 already has a 20" bar and chain on it. Just looking for some opinions from the experts as to what I should use on those two saws and where the best place to purchase them would be. Thanks again guys.

I know their not popular but with both those saws I prefer "22 bars. Either 20 or 24" feel good also, on the 044 the 24" feels just a little nose heavy.
I know the saw works a little easiar with a shorter bar but I find it makes me work harder manuevring the saw more to finish cuts in larger wood. I like the bar reaching the limbs verses moving 4" closer all day and stumbling around branches. If I'm bucking a 22" + log it gets to the point with a 16" bar you have to crawl over the logs or walk around to cut both sides which wears me out much more then carrying the extra ounces of a 6" longer b&c.
Thats average firewood cutting for me.
If I'm doing dirty work such as cutting stumps low I like a short bar for not so big stumps because its easiar to maintain and not sticking out the other end of the stump bumping into other stuff sticking out of the ground. Clearing trails to drive on a short bar comes into play or up in the air in a bucket truck.

Twinkle and The Barbie Saw (440s) both have 28 inch bars with skip chain on them. I feel all is in harmony with this setup, although most folks around here run a 32 inch bar on that model of saw.

I like to be able to stand as far back as I can from a lot of the blowdown, which we cut for firewood.

Latest posts

Back