What the dealer told me today about "Big Brutus" ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
Welp.......today I went to visit my Stihl dealer to buy a 16" bar and chain for my 3 month old MS 361 that I named Big Brutus :jester: The dealer said he does not stock the RSC chain and only carrys the RSK chain that is more aggressive. I bought both the bar + the RSK chain for $52.00 out the door :chainsaw: I asked the dealer if I should be concerned with full throttle RPM speed with going from a 20" bar down to a 16" bar and he said the 361 has a built in rev limiter and not to worry. He said I could take off the bar and chain and just run the head at full throttle and it would be protected from blowing up :confused: I have a new tachometer coming any day now as I also will be putting on a modded muffler for Brutus also :rockn: Is what the dealer told me accurate or BS about the rev limiter? :confused: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Last edited:
talon1189 said:
Welp.......today I went to visit my Stihl dealer to buy a 16" bar and chain for my 3 month old MS 361 that I named Big Brutus :jester: The dealer said he does not stock the RSC chain and only carrys the RSK chain that is more aggressive. I bought both the bar + the RSK chain for $52.00 out the door :chainsaw: I asked the dealer if I should be concerned with full throttle RPM speed with going from a 20" bar down to a 16" bar and he said the 361 has a built in rev limiter and not to worry. He said I could take off the bar and chain and just run the head at full throttle and it would be protected from blowing up :confused: I have a new tachometer coming any day now as I also will be putting on a modded muffler for Brutus also :rockn: Is what the dealer told me accurate or BS :confused: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
The saw is designed for 16" bars--what do you think?

I think the point, and question have been missed. I believe Talon is asking if it is true that the 361's are rev. limited, not wether or not the 16' bar is an issue.

sawinredneck said:
I think the point, and question have been missed. I believe Talon is asking if it is true that the 361's are rev. limited, not wether or not the 16' bar is an issue.
Thanks Sawinredneck........That is what I was asking. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Im not sure with the REV limiter on the 361 but I know for a fact that "free" reving an engine is not a good idea, I have been around motors enough to say that he mite be right about the limiter but god I hate missing an gear and hitting the MSD rev limiter on my track truck, Not good for it.

MS-310 said:
Im not sure with the REV limiter on the 361 but I know for a fact that "free" reving an engine is not a good idea, I have been around motors enough to say that he mite be right about the limiter but god I hate missing an gear and hitting the MSD rev limiter on my track truck, Not good for it.
Yup..........but chainsaws don't have to worry about floating valves and messed up syncro's :bang: I race cars also and have lived it :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

The dealer is full of BS....:blob2: :blob2:

Adjust the carb with the shortest bar you are going to run, if you are not readjusting each time you change.

15" bar is standard here, and also on the 660 - believe it or not....:ices_rofl:

talon1189 said:
Yup..........but chainsaws don't have to worry about floating valves and messed up syncro's :bang: I race cars also and have lived it :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Talon

You still have the problem of streching the rod and putting some very not needed stress on the main bearings.(over reving) Talon not saying you didnt know that but, dam that dealer mite be on a little bit of crack.
jack

MS-310 said:
You still have the problem of streching the rod and putting some very not needed stress on the main bearings.(over reving) Talon not saying you didnt know that but, dam that dealer mite be on a little bit of crack.
jack
Hmmmmm.......Damn...maybe your right.......maybe that is why his front teeth are all brown and rotted :ices_rofl: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

use that tach you have coming,set it to the factory specs,you don't want to exceed max rpms for any reason,if you do you'll be needing a "big brutus" tear down in short order.
dealers really scare me sometimes.

Part of the curriculum of the Stihl school I went to set saw "H" screws with a tach, free no load . (no bar and chain)

When I asked about that, the Instructor said that a lot of his students are Dealer / hardware store owners, setting the carbs with no load was a better way of demonstrating the high-pitched whine of a lean mixture, and could be set at the edge of the "burble" or low-pitch , rich setting by ear better.

Saw were to be adjusted the day of sale with the bar and chain, by tach. just as they should be set to run by the operator.

With a chain, depending on the background the high-pitched "lean" can be hard to hear. Even if it would be harder to over-rev a saw, it could be easier to over-lean it, by-ear.

There is a chance that that dealer is somewhere between that instruction and reality?

I still am very confused here about my newer MS 361? Does this saw have a high speed RPM limiter or not? :confused: :confused: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

No Talon, no rev limit on that saw. What they are telling you is that when you set the saw up, set it at max RPM with the shorter bar unless you want to set it up each and every time you change the bars out. The 16" will have less friction/reciprocating mass thus will spin easier than the 20". If you were to set it with the 20" then put the 16" on it without readjusting you may overrev the saw and "BLOWSH!TUP!!!!" Nuff said?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
No Talon, no rev limit on that saw. What they are telling you is that when you set the saw up, set it at max RPM with the shorter bar unless you want to set it up each and every time you change the bars out. The 16" will have less friction/reciprocating mass thus will spin easier than the 20". If you were to set it with the 20" then put the 16" on it without readjusting you may overrev the saw and "BLOWSH!TUP!!!!" Nuff said?
Andy
Thanks sawinredneck............so to put it all in a nutshell........my dealer is full of bull????? I am a mechanic by trade and want to play with my saw with a modded muffler also. I do not wanna blow up Big Brutus here as I am getting mixed information in my thread here :confused: Thanks for all input :biggrinbounce2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

SawTroll said:
The dealer is full of BS....:blob2: :blob2:

Adjust the carb with the shortest bar you are going to run, if you are not readjusting each time you change.

15" bar is standard here, and also on the 660 - believe it or not....:ices_rofl:

The dealer is an idiot.

Hi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rockn: You.................Need<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<:D to ))))))))):buttkick: talk to Andy?????????????????????????????????:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;OK

talon1189 said:
Guess that I will close this thread because NO ONE single person can tell me for sure if the MS 361 has a rev limiter to protect the power head from air mailing a connecting rod or worse or not :mad: I must admit here that I am quite disappointed at the responses that I recieved so far. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon :confused:
No offense, but did you read any of the responses?
No less than 4 people stated NO there is NOT a rev limiter.
What do you want to hear?

sawinredneck said:
Andy

Safe (tune with shortest bar), but not quite true... and there is more to the story.

Confusion has alway existed on AS about why you adjust with WOT numbers... It's not like you run the saw at the WOT rpm while "cutting".

Two things in play - the correct mixture, and, a safe Max RPM... Adjustment with WOT and any given bar is only a way to get in the ball park, and as WOT varies with bar length, you are also varying your mixture for no good reason. Mixture does NOT vary with bar length... so do you tune for 14k if you put on a 28 inch bar? I wouldn't - too lean. Ditto for a 16 - too rich. Pick something in the middle... then just be sure that your saw is actually in the wood before holding the throttle wide open...

The "max" rpm specified by Stihl is +/-1000 (that's PLUS OR MINUS - not that anyone on AS cares about MINUS), but don't push it - i.e. live on the edge. Use the published number as your "live with it guide".

I'd set the max WOT to 13,500- 13,800 with a 20 inch bar (it will deliver you a setting close enough for correct mixture). Then put on a 16 and see if it really exceeds the max rpm, but not more than the max +1000...

Why say 13,800 and not 14k? No material reason, but we're only talking a hair of adjustment that won't hold from hour to hour anyhow, so I like to be slightly on the low side....

And ..... If you just put the modded muffler on the saw without removing the limiter cap and reajusting the H richer, it will be about 1000 too high! The factory setting of H limit cap is in the richest position allowed by the EPA for 10% alcohol gas fuel.. all you can do is make it leaner... you MIGHT get a bit back by running gas with no alcohol, but don't bank on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back