What the Stihl dealer said

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ske-bum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have been on the prowl for a new firewood saw and have been looking at a lot of saws and asking questions of everyone that has ever touched a chainsaw, or so it seems. Anyway went into the Stihl dealer today to look over the 441 again. Didn't like the balance of it when I messed with it at another dealer, but this guy is close to home so figured what the heck.

Anyway his comment is something to the effect of I don't carry that POS and I wouldn't sell you one because you seem like a nice guy. He then went on to tell me he has a lot of trouble with it and doesn't like people coming back to him with problems and has dropped it from his inventory. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this also??

So he had me check out the 460 which is a lot of saw but he says is bullet proof.

Maybe his experience...but the fact of the matter is that the 441 is here to stay and the 460 will be gone within 2 years...thanks to the EPA.

I have seen some gremlins with the carb on the 441 and it is heavy but they do cut very well.I don't sell as many as I do the 460. While I don't believe the other dealer should call it a pos,I would in fact get the 460 as well.

guy is probably old school and doesn't like this new stuff...but he is gonna have to get used to it or he will be looking for a new profession. The 441 is an alright saw while the 460 is a legend. Go with the 460.

guy is probably old school and doesn't like this new stuff...but he is gonna have to get used to it or he will be looking for a new profession. The 441 is an alright saw while the 460 is a legend. Go with the 460.

Well it is between that and the Husky 372xpw. Decisions, Decisions... Price may play a factor in the wifes eyes, however she is easily bought off.:)

My dealer has no problem selling the 441, but does tend to steer you towards the 460. I asked them about it and all he would say is that the pros seem to prefer the 460. He also said at higher elevations the 441 loses more HP than the 460, anyone else agree with that?
Dok

Well it is between that and the Husky 372xpw. Decisions, Decisions... Price may play a factor in the wifes eyes, however she is easily bought off.:)

I'd get the MS460 before it's gone. However I wouldn't choose it over the 372 if you're going with the one saw plan.

(The MS460 is an excellent choice for someone that already has a smaller saw in their lineup.)

Last edited:
I'd get the MS460 before it's gone. However I wouldn't choose it over the 372 if you're going the one saw plan.

The MS460 is an excellent choice for someone that already has a smaller saw in their lineup.

I do, Husky 455 Rancher. I going to think about it for a while. Thanks for the input, you guys are a world of knowledge.

Lake Tahoe is over 6k feet altitude, right? Haven't we had several complaints/problems with the 441 carb at higher altitudes. I'm wondering if this is why the dealer was dissin' the 441.

Just askin,

Joat

dont bother with the 441.

go for the 460. (my opinion as a full time "pro" tree guy.)

some might say that it cuts, which it does because it is a saw mind you. but it doesnt cut the way it should cut seeing how its a 70cc saw.

go with the same weighted, more powerful 460.

good luck.

I was looking at the 441 a few months ago. While doing that, I found a new 440 and went with it. If I did not find that 440, I would have gone 460 easily. For the same weight, why go down in power? The 460 is a legend and proven like the 440 where the 441 has some time to get that reputation. The price was pretty much the same between the 441 and 460 around here.

The 441 hasn't proven jack. Some like them, many had them and got rid of them, and some hate them so much they won't even buy one. It's right up there with the 575xp and now we finally have a dealer speakin the truth about it. Stihl might be at the beginning of what Husky did with this saw, jump around forever trying to get it right, losing sales in the mean time. It's a new saw and I wouldn't be surprised to see Stihl change it up again when the numbers come in. The 460 and 372xp are the only available proven saws in that class period.

Last edited:

If you like vibes and cleaning air filters, just get the 460.......:)

I'd take the Husky, to everyone's astonishment....:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Lake Tahoe is over 6k feet altitude, right? Haven't we had several complaints/problems with the 441 carb at higher altitudes. I'm wondering if this is why the dealer was dissin' the 441.

Just askin,

Joat

I believe that statement has some merit....:)

If you like vibes and cleaning air filters, just get the 460.......:)

the thing is, the air filter is soooooo easy to get to that it doesnt matter. besides how hard is it to tap the air filter off while you refill your saw? i mean i do it every time anyway.

in fact i get offended if you dont clean the filter every time you fuel up.

a non issue, that air filter, if you ask me bub.

the thing is, the air filter is soooooo easy to get to that it doesnt matter. besides how hard is it to tap the air filter off while you refill your saw? i mean i do it every time anyway.

in fact i get offended if you dont clean the filter every time you fuel up.

a non issue, that air filter, if you ask me bub.

Actually, I sort of agree - it isn't much of an issue, if you know how to deal with it.

Oldirty is right. I thought Stihl air filtration was crap, until I owned a few and realized that the intelicarb keeps the R's steady and the air filters are so easy to get at and blow off, I now prefer them to Husky's, air filters that is.

In fact the only reason I never gave Stihl a second look before was because I was hung up on Husky's Air Injection and Jonsered's Turbo being the end all of air filtration. Turns out Stihl does make a pro saw, lol, just not the 441.

Last edited:
If you like vibes and cleaning air filters, just get the 460.......

Air filter has not been a problem for me either. If you're gonna cut for days at time & not touch the air filter, then I suppose the Husky would be a better option, but to me it's not an issue. I also don't understand the vibe complaint, I have spent some long days cutting with my 460 & never had any problems. I guess everyone is different though. The 372 is a good saw, you won't go wrong with whatever you choose, but if you want a Stihl, I would suggest the 460 over the 441.

Latest posts

Back