What to charge for brush mowing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, but the $1,300,000 house I mentioned above now has a sold sign on it. Maybe I should talk to the new owner about cutting his grass...

New Holland tc40 with a 6 foot brush hog. $45 an hour for hay fields and light brush mowing. $75 an hour for heavy brush. If mowing a field that I was told didn't have anything in it and I hit something the rate went up to $75. Going to do much brush mowing buy a heavy mower. That's the rates I was charging 5 years ago. My brush hog has a 100hp gear box and came with a 10 year warranty on the gear box. Never broke it but I carry a pocket full of shear bolts. Under powered tractor is a plus when you don't know the fields. Keeps you going slower and when you do find the unexpected cinder block or tree stump the tractor stalls or bogs before things get really ugly

I installed a slip clutch on my mower. It was kind of expensive but worth it since I do not ever have to deal with shear bolts. If you are mowing in fire ant country, I think it is almost a must.

I installed a slip clutch on my mower. It was kind of expensive but worth it since I do not ever have to deal with shear bolts. If you are mowing in fire ant country, I think it is almost a must.
I was to cheap to spring for the slipper clutch. It was like $500 more over the shear bolt and added the problem of when a slipper clutch is left out in the weather for an extended amount of time they rust in place. Then when you get it out to use it either it basically has no clutch since it is rusted tight or you loosen all the bolts to let the clutch slip and shine up the surfaces.

I was to cheap to spring for the slipper clutch. It was like $500 more over the shear bolt and added the problem of when a slipper clutch is left out in the weather for an extended amount of time they rust in place. Then when you get it out to use it either it basically has no clutch since it is rusted tight or you loosen all the bolts to let the clutch slip and shine up the surfaces.

Yeah, I was working for a dealership way back when, so I got the parts at cost and I installed them. I have never had an issue with the clutch sticking. I'm in high humidity but keep the equipment under the back of the barn out of the rain 90% of the time. Coming up on 20 years of service now.

Back