What To Do With Old Sawchains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
What do you guys do with old used up worthless chains? I toss mine in the scrap pile to be recycled when I have enough metal to make it worthwhile. Just curious if any of you have cool ideas.

Ted

If a chain is sharpened to the end of it's life, then I agree it could be recycled as scrap.

If I have a big chain with a couple broken cutters, I'll see if I can take out the damaged part and use the chain on a smaller saw.

I think chains cut best when the cutter is small and there's a big gullet, so I run them 'till they can't be sharpened anymore.

What? Chains were out? I have never seen this. Mine always seem to break way before I get to those little lines in the cutters. I have never filed one down to nubs. Of course that probably has something to do with the way I always find metal fence post, rocks, or other hard stuff around what I am cutting to bash the chain on. I normally throw the chain out once it is missing 5-10 cutters or when the loop snaps.

what? Chains were out? I have never seen this. Mine always seem to break way before i get to those little lines in the cutters. I have never filed one down to nubs. Of course that probably has something to do with the way i always find metal fence post, rocks, or other hard stuff around what i am cutting to bash the chain on. I normally throw the chain out once it is missing 5-10 cutters or when the loop snaps.

yep!

They usually stretch out long before the cutters are filed back to far. When they get that slop in them on the sprocket or when the adjuster is cranked out so far it still wont tighten, time to retire them. I have a hook on the wall I hang em on, some day I'll find something better to do with them.

I want one of the knives made out of them. Chain Saw Chain Knife The heat it up and pound it down to flar steel, then make a knife out of it. Some you can still see the links in the steel.

I keep a coffee can with gear oil in it to put old chains in.When I have to cut a dirty old stump or I suspect some old barb wire or something might be in a log, I put one of the old snaggle tooth ones on and let 'er rip.After most of the teeth are filed away, or broke off they get recycled.I've never had problems with chains stretching too much since I started using Stihl chain.

I don’t have problems with chain stretching past the adjustment range using Stihl brand chain either. Other brands of chain (that I’ve used) do stretch, and I have to take a link out at about mid-life in order to get full use of the cutters. I’ve just about cycled the “other” brands out of my inventory and plan on sticking with Stihl from here on out; it’s just flat a superior chain.

I file mine until the cutters start breaking off in the cut. Usually the chain will loose a bunch all at once, like when it hits a hard knot, crotch or some such… If the missing teeth are kind’a evenly spaced I’ll hang it on the wall incase I need to cut a root out of the dirt or something like that. After that I just toss ‘em. I’ve always thought they’d make some nasty cannon projectiles.

You could always practice your leet welding/brazing skillz and make some sculpture from them.

How about instead of spiked dog collars, chainsaw chain collars?

Know anyone into medieval like armor? A set of armor all studded with chain and the cutters point out would be medium slick.

Make you up a loop of semi, full, ripper, no comp, semi comp, double comp, square grind, round grind, no grind, bump and grind, every angle there is chain. Smorgasbord chain. A vid with it cutting would be cool...

Turn them over and use the cutters for the drivers and bend and file the drivers into race chain, no rakers...

Here's one, for home defense. Get you a louisville slugger, cut long notches in it, epoxy in the chain with the cutters all pointing out. Get about a dozen loops down that thing all around, should be baaad. Or loop it around, a buncha rings, start out with some 404 on top and work down to some little bitty 1/4 inch stuff. your choice.

Make a combat frisbee, should be obvious were to install the chain.

Instead of wearing them out completely, wear them out down to the last sharpening, sharpen them, then sell them on CL for like a few bucks apiece, go buy new files, etc.

Make up joke chains for amusement with your buddies. Take all the links apart, use like toothpicks for the rivets, magic marker the ends. "Hey, man, try out this new chain, man, it cuts stuff up into toothpicks, not chips, toothpicks"! He goes to run it, it flies apart, small toothpick like things all over..sport! "there's your toothpicks"!

Find your nearest south of the border narco terrorist gang member, offer him welded up "chain" steering wheels for his escalade. It don't get no more macho than that....

You could always practice your leet welding/brazing skillz and make some sculpture from them.

How about instead of spiked dog collars, chainsaw chain collars?

Know anyone into medieval like armor? A set of armor all studded with chain and the cutters point out would be medium slick.

Make you up a loop of semi, full, ripper, no comp, semi comp, double comp, square grind, round grind, no grind, bump and grind, every angle there is chain. Smorgasbord chain. A vid with it cutting would be cool...

Turn them over and use the cutters for the drivers and bend and file the drivers into race chain, no rakers...

Here's one, for home defense. Get you a louisville slugger, cut long notches in it, epoxy in the chain with the cutters all pointing out. Get about a dozen loops down that thing all around, should be baaad. Or loop it around, a buncha rings, start out with some 404 on top and work down to some little bitty 1/4 inch stuff. your choice.

Make a combat frisbee, should be obvious were to install the chain.

Instead of wearing them out completely, wear them out down to the last sharpening, sharpen them, then sell them on CL for like a few bucks apiece, go buy new files, etc.

Make up joke chains for amusement with your buddies. Take all the links apart, use like toothpicks for the rivets, magic marker the ends. "Hey, man, try out this new chain, man, it cuts stuff up into toothpicks, not chips, toothpicks"! He goes to run it, it flies apart, small toothpick like things all over..sport! "there's your toothpicks"!

Find your nearest south of the border narco terrorist gang member, offer him welded up "chain" steering wheels for his escalade. It don't get no more macho than that....

All of those sound good to me.

I particularly like the idea of selling them on CL… now that man is thinking.
Probably could get an extra buck or two on Ebay, and inflate the shipping a little to make a bit more… all you'd have to do is sell them as used but "razor sharp and ready to cut!!"
I’ll bet a guy could make enough on two 90% worn-out chains to darn near buy a new loop… LOL!!

First, I have to say I do not have an issue with chains stretching either since I started using Stihl chain. That is all I use now because of that. Not to mention they last longer.

I mentioned this used chain thing to a neighbor and found a use for them. He is building a bar for his basement. The bar is made out of tongue and groove. He is going to take my used chains and lay them in the grooves on the top of the bar and then seal them in with whatever it is they use to make bar tops nice and smooth. ( what it is called escapes me this morning). Another neighbor made one using old barbed wire that turned out really nice, so this neighbor wants to compete with him in coolness! Lots of drinkers in my hood I guess! lol

Ted

I particularly like the idea of selling them on CL… now that man is thinking.
Probably could get an extra buck or two on Ebay, and inflate the shipping a little to make a bit more… all you'd have to do is sell them as used but "razor sharp and ready to cut!!"
I’ll bet a guy could make enough on two 90% worn-out chains to darn near buy a new loop… LOL!!

Oh I really don't mean try to gouge anyone-pun intended- just sell them for a buck to three bucks, as-is, tell the guy, this is good until it gets dull, cheaper than getting your other chains sharpened at the shop. You would basically be selling your labor for that final sharpening.

With that said, I got a ton here I have never thrown out, I tend to retire them before they are completely gone, back up emergency chains, or to use to put on used saws for resale or swap perhaps. Just stock, accumulating stock. Same with files.

Heck, I get used chains cheap from the local shop and run them myself. Can't recall the last time I bought a brand new chain. I get them from one to six dollars a loop. The only new ones I have gotten came with my oregon saw, those powersharp chains. I have one still new, one used, one clapped out. Now I *am* going to try and repurpose the used up but still there sharpener stone, thinking a small pocket axe touch up tool. Just make some sort of handle for it.

I keep a coffee can with gear oil in it to put old chains in.When I have to cut a dirty old stump or I suspect some old barb wire or something might be in a log, I put one of the old snaggle tooth ones on and let 'er rip.After most of the teeth are filed away, or broke off they get recycled.I've never had problems with chains stretching too much since I started using Stihl chain.

Thats because Stihl chain is the BEST!! LOL...I do the same exact thing, tho. I have a plastic Folgers can I keep some oil in, and throw my old chains in it. If I have rough possibilities ahead (like you said - barbed wire, rocks, etc.), I pull one out and slap it on. I have a hard time throwing anything chainsaw related away....:hmm3grin2orange:

One of the guys in my wedding is a knifemaker, I will ask him about fabbing one up. I currently have one of those boxes that a case of printing paper comes in that is full of old chains, sure would like to find a use for them.

Latest posts

Back