what to do with trees with poison ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would run from that, full speed. I would get covered with it before even starting the saw.

LOL. That's the one that gave me the 10 day stint on Prednisone.

I cut those vines in October of 2008 and didn't fell and block the tree until a few weeks ago.

Not enough time, obviously! I had PI all over. Even on my right foot.

LOL. That's the one that gave me the 10 day stint on Prednisone.

I cut those vines in October of 2008 and didn't fell and block the tree until a few weeks ago.

Not enough time, obviously! I had PI all over. Even on my right foot.

I have been there, steriods (prednisone) and benadryl (anti-itch). At least I know what to ask the doctor for. Last guy saw me covered with it and started laughing at me. LOL.

LOL!!

Nuzzy and I have a Cherry tree we are gonna whittle up in the morning with similar growth. I'll try to remember to nag Nuzzy into posting a pic.

The PI is growing alongside a BIG wood vine in an attempt to stay concealed.
I am almost 100% positive that Black Cherry and PI conspire to make life miserable for wood cutters. Sneaky bastards.

Poor Nuzzy admitted that he's never had a PI experience out west so it will be interesting.

A can of Ether is going into the truck to sanitize the saws.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL!!

Nuzzy and I have a Cherry tree we are gonna whittle up in the morning with similar growth. I'll try to remember to nag Nuzzy into posting a pic.

The PI is growing alongside a BIG wood vine in an attempt to stay concealed.
I am almost 100% positive that Black Cherry and PI conspire to make life miserable for wood cutters. Sneaky bastards.

Poor Nuzzy admitted that he's never had a PI experience out west so it will be interesting.

A can of Ether is going into the truck to sanitize the saws.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You mean THIS demon spawn tree...? :laugh:

DSC07130Medium.jpg

YEP!!!!!

That's the one. Complete with Urishol itchy goodness!!!!

I'll bring the Corona Loppers and a booger hook, but I suspect deeply that it wont matter. Blisters and some cussing are gonna happen anyhow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just cut 'em up like my other wood. If the vines pulled off easy I'll pull off otherwise I don't bother. I use to get poison ivy every year but since I started using Tecnu

that's it we have used four20= years remember the oil will last 18 years tom trees

This tread is making me sick. I get poison ivy bad. I was on steroids for a stint this past summer. The worst is when you chip a tree that is covered in poison ivy. Can't handle the thing worth crap and then you have dust flying around.:censored::censored::censored:

I bought Zanfel and it didn't do squat, but I think my case was far too gone to give it a real chance. I have read great things about it. I have had good luck with Tecnu in the past.

Remember the active ingredient in Technu soap is odorless mineral spirits. Cheaper to just buy a quart of that and take a rag to wipe down with it.

Ian

Took a pic of the vines

Took a pic of the vines that are in the woods that I'm cutting in.

I have a buddy who's going though cancer treatment and has taken up the hobby using his wood lathe. What I didn't know that it's a small lathe for making pens. The other day I took over chunks of Boxelder over for him to make bowls out of not knowing how small his lathe is.

Anyways.....he said that he'd try any type of wood. Well, I want to see how this vine looks as a pen. I've got this piece drying in my basement over my wood burner. I also have a piece of Ash I'm going to give him.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I thought poison ivy was pretty dormant in the winter.

I've been in the stuff several times and never had a reaction. But if I get stung by yellowjackets I am in a world of hurt.....

I have a simple policy regarding anything that flies and stings. If one stings me THEY ALL WILL DIE.

I never don't have poison ivy!
It's gotten so that I've come to believe that by maintaining a 'control dose' [a little around ankles or on forearms] prevents me from getting the killer doses from hell. Also, thru 40 years of personal research on the psyche of itch :bang: I've found the following approach to be the most effective in dealing with poison:
Get thee to the kitchen sink; ideally near one of those gearshift type spigots with a sprinkler head. Position the effected extremity beneath the flow, and gradually increase the water temperature until you reach the zen point [you'll know when your there]. Its about as good a feeling as can be had legally!
[Avoid burning -water heater typically set below 120 degrees]
Once exposed, poison has to run its course. Steroids may reduce the cycle if administered within 6 hours of exposure, otherwise forget it. Hot water has the effect of accelerating the cycle and satisfying the itch, without the tissue damage that accompanies maniacal scratching with a wire brush or surform tool. For me, that is down from 14, to 7 or 8 days.
I'm working on a bee pollen preventative theory, but thats another thread....
~Longshot

Took a pic of the vines that are in the woods that I'm cutting in.

I have a buddy who's going though cancer treatment and has taken up the hobby using his wood lathe. What I didn't know that it's a small lathe for making pens. The other day I took over chunks of Boxelder over for him to make bowls out of not knowing how small his lathe is.

Anyways.....he said that he'd try any type of wood. Well, I want to see how this vine looks as a pen. I've got this piece drying in my basement over my wood burner. I also have a piece of Ash I'm going to give him.

attachment.php
attachment.php

That's what we call grape vine. Stuff burns like gasoline on a hot fire. Pretty open grain and soft so I don't know how it would work for pens.

If your friend hasn't done it allready, have him do some out of osage orange with a twist ;) Cut the blank so the rings crossgrain, meaning you see the grains up the length of the pen. Think of a stacked washer look. It'll be bright yellow when you first do it, then turn a nice caramel color.

Back