What to look for in a used chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If my search was messed up. please post a link ... ;)

I'm looking at buying a good clean used chainsaw. What should I be looking at to make sure I'm not buying someone else's basket case or problem prone chainsaw? Initially I'm looking for a Husqvarna 372XP but, a similar Stihl would probably be a better choice.

Or, perhaps there are dealers who will sell over the phone since they can't sell on the "error'net" for less then MSRP. I'm moving to the Huntsville, Alabama area for geographic reference.

TIA,
Sid

Make sure it runs with good compression and the oiler works, no broken parts. I prefer pro grade saws too...

:cheers:
Mike

Check the bottom of the saw - clean means light use and a rough battered bottom is hard to disguise and means heavy use - just like a woman:)

Check compression, chain condition - bar for adverse wear, chainbrake is present, working and in servicable condition, check the sprocket isnt badly grooved and the bearing is not worn, the oiler is functioning and the saw starts and revs freely. Always be very careful to check for cracks in the plastic and alloy case parts as well as around the bar mounts.

Spud

Latest posts

Back