What to look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
First a little history. Two saws in the shed that haven't run for at least 15 years. I know this because that's when I got my 034 super, which has since been joined by an 064,and maybe shortly (fingers crossed) by an 046 and an 084 I just found (basket case).
The saws are mini mac 25's that I used to use to cut skids for stovewood waaayyy back i the dark ages, and believe it or not they worked pretty good for that. I'd like to have a one hand type saw for the odd time I'm up a tree, and these things are built that way, and do have a chain brake on them. So I pulled them out of the shed tonight. One will fire with gas down the carb, the other one has nothing, haven't checked it for spark. Compression on both seems pretty good, and from what I can see though the muffler with the outside cover off, the piston and rings look okay. There's one brand new sprocket nose bar (10"?) in the box. Am I looking for crank seals or a carb kit? Or maybe both? Hve to tear the saw all apart to get the carb out.

Most likely,you have to check the carb first and change kit and check also strainer in the tank..The carb is very hard to reach on those saws,you have to dismantle almost all the saw to get it.

Yup. remember that much about these things. P.I.T.A.! Sucker used to do a pile of work for me though.

Got the saw apart and pulled the top off the carb, guess what, gummed up! Diaphram looks okay, but I need the rest of a kit. What's chances of finding one for an MDG carb? This thing is tiny!

Could be. Didn't realize this was a Walbro carb. Just saw MDG on the cover. I'll have a real good look at the parts and see if they match what I have.

Good price too! The only problem with me buying it there though is the cost of getting through Canada Customs. I'll have to have a real good look at the Laser catalogue now that I know where to look.

Thanks!

BTW, missed out on the 046, but sounds like one 084 parts saw may wind up being two!

With the difficulty of removing and installing the carb, I would stay away from Laser and buy an OEM carb kit. They are available and inexpensive and you will only need to do it once.

I'm getting somewhere, just not where I want to be. Seems to want to run, but won't keep running. With the screws opened up too far, and full throttle and it will run (not well) but won't stay running. With the fuel tank out, fuel will run out almost as fast as you put it in, so I don't think the strainer is a problem. Carb is clean. Almost sounds like bad spark, but plug will fire like crazy when spinning over. Do I need the carb out again?

I went through this same thing with a little Mac120 .I finally sent off to mfg supply and got the carb kit.That fixed it,or so I thought.It seems the little rascal is sucking bar oil through the pump,ugh.I'm just going to block the impulse to the pump and use the manual oiler . In my opinion a new pump cost more than the saw is worth.

PWB said:
I'm getting somewhere, just not where I want to be. Seems to want to run, but won't keep running. With the screws opened up too far, and full throttle and it will run (not well) but won't stay running. With the fuel tank out, fuel will run out almost as fast as you put it in, so I don't think the strainer is a problem. Carb is clean. Almost sounds like bad spark, but plug will fire like crazy when spinning over. Do I need the carb out again?
Hmm,Sounds like you got too lean mixture if you have to open the screws more than normal..Could be caused by your carb,but you cleaned it,so probably an air leak .Did you check also if your fuel hose was in good shape,not burned by gas or holed,pinched.If i remember well ,you have to be careful you put the big cover back to be sure the hose is in the right position to not pinch.Verify also the bplastic bolck under the carb if not cracked and also if the gasket under the block is in good condition.

Guess I'm puling it back apart. First thought was maybe the gas line is collapsing on me, molded to shape hose. I know about trying to get the sucker back together, been there many years ago. Always knew I had it wrong as soon as I put the fuel in it, it would be running out the bottom. I do have another complete saw, so I have parts. Have to take a good look at that block under the carb, and the carb itself. Didn't see any major problems when I had it apart, but you never know.

HiOctane said:
Hmm,Sounds like you got too lean mixture if you have to open the screws more than normal..Could be caused by your carb,but you cleaned it,so probably an air leak .Did you check also if your fuel hose was in good shape,not burned by gas or holed,pinched.If i remember well ,you have to be careful you put the big cover back to be sure the hose is in the right position to not pinch.Verify also the bplastic bolck under the carb if not cracked and also if the gasket under the block is in good condition.

I agree, air leak between the carb and the cylinder somewhere is the first thing I'd think.

About ready to pitch it in the garbage! Pulled it back apart, played with a bunch of stuff in the carb and can't get a good pressure test. Might try again in a week or two when I have a little more patience!

Too many hours in a junk saw. Been offered a brand new top mount echo (33cc?) for 310 canadian. Any good as a saw? any good for price? Can't compare to american prices very well, shipping and duty are a pain.

Well, if you decide to pitch it, send it my way, I could always use another McCulloch in the stable.

Latest posts

Back