What tool for mixture screws on a new Husky 346

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has a red cap blocking a good view of the screw. The plug looks too white and I would like to richen it up a tad. Runs fine, but I hear they come through on the lean side, and the color of the plug confirms it to me. They sure are trying to make things difficult.

That is a limiter cap. Take a drywall screw, turn a time or two to get a bite on it, pull. make sure you have the nipple like ends lined up to pull it straight out. Trim nipple like thingies off of outer edge of cap, replace (or tune then replace/ throw away. Some say they help to keep settngs, I dont know if thats true or not). tune saw..

Mine must be a newer style. I threaded a screw in, and I can slide it in and out a bit, but no come off. If I cut the ear off that prevents me from richening a bit will that work?

I'm not good at posting pics, when you thread the screw you have to back it up a bit to line up the limiter cap restricters with the slot to allow it to come off. The restricters/nipples is what limits the ability to tune and theirs only one slot in the surrounding cover plate to allow it to be removed. Keep trying, they will come off..Once you get it off trim them off, it doesnt matter how they go back on. They only come in two different styles that I know of. 1 red limiter caps that cover the slotted screw. 2 I've seen lately no caps but a tool that goes over the carb adjuster like a micro screw driver type. The best way I can explain it is a tamper proof style.

I found an older IPL, and it looked like the part the limiters slide into would come out if the carb was removed. That didn't work. A bit of a puzzle to get the carb off. It actually went together easier than it came apart. Not the norm.

Anyway, once I had the carb in my hand, a pair of needlenose pliers did remove the limiter. I had been pulling on the screw I had threaded in to the cap with a pair of needlenose vise grips to the point I was afraid of breaking something. Next time I have to take it apart I will know the tricks.

Anyhoo, couple more questions, think I should put the stupid limiter back on? The needle has a spring on it and looks like it would be fine without it.

They had a part# for the limiter caps. In the unlikely event I need warranty work, could I get a new cap and stuff it in there, so they don't say properly tuning the carb caused the problem?

Mine must be a newer style. I threaded a screw in, and I can slide it in and out a bit, but no come off. If I cut the ear off that prevents me from richening a bit will that work?

Cutting the ear off works fine, looks like you already pulled the cap though. Yes I'd put the cap back on, it helps guide the screwdriver onto the adjuster, although the slot is probably buggered up from pulling it.

Last edited:
I did put it back on. It is easier to hit the slot on the limiter than the screw. Tuned it by ear and burned 1 tank. The flat electrode has a tan color now instead of white. Makes me feel better. Thanks for the help.

I trimmed mine off with everything still on the saw. Just pull the top cover and in a few minutes your done.

Be careful tunning that saw by year as its rev limited.

Latest posts

Back