What type of chain comes on a new 372XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt33

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What type of chain comes on a new 372XP? **updated with photos**

The chain that came with my new Husqvarna 372XP cuts remarkably well. I wanted some extra loops for this saw (3/8 .058 72), but the dealer where I bought the saw said he wasn't sure exactly what type of chain Husqvarna sends with their new saws. He stocks Stihl RSC in my size so I bought 5 of those based on my good experiences in the past when using that particular chain with my MS290. However, the chain that came on my new 372 cuts noticeably faster than the RSC chain. It also seemed easier to touch up with a hand file. I tried three of the new RSC chains, all of them seemed to cut slower than the OEM Husqvarna chain.

Does anyone know what type of chain comes with a new 372XP? I'm certainly not a professional logger and I'm just learning about the different types of chain. Also, I’m not trying to start a Stihl vs. Husq thread; I own and like products from both firms. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
P1130695.jpg

P1130694.jpg

P1130697.jpg

Last edited:
From what I have seen it is the setup that peter399 describes...

Can you get us a photo?

Does it have a small guard next to the rakers/depth gauges or just plain gauges?

Also RSC is usually pretty sharp out of the box but sometimes it seems better than others...

I would give it a hand filing before you give up on it.

I will agree though, a lot of the oregon (husky) chains, though somewhat soft, seem to cut FAST

Last edited:
I'll try to post pic's later tonight. I was just looking on the Oregon website, my Husq OEM chain looks just like the Oregon LGX 73. The depth gauge on the LPX looks a little different (mine appear plain). Without photos, does anyone know if LGX is what Husqvarna might use on a new 372XP?

Someone recently told me that the husky chains were just LG and not LGX but I am not sure about this. You can buy the actual husky branded/stamped chains from site sponsor baileys www.baileysonline.com

Does the husky chain have the "blued" cutters? Any husky chain I have seen of late has lacked them. The X series has the blue. So if its not blue its not X

Last edited:
Someone recently told me that the husky chains were just LG and not LGX but I am not sure about this. You can buy the actual husky branded/stamped chains from site sponsor baileys www.baileysonline.com

Does the husky chain have the "blued" cutters? Any husky chain I have seen of late has lacked them. The X series has the blue. So if its not blue its not X
The links appear blued, but the cutters themselves appear to be bare steel.

My guess would be it comes with 73 LPX / H42 chain.

Actually it's the H48/73LGX.

The Husky chain is coming through with the "X" on the box now, but it doesn't have the blue look to it, as Husky didn't want to take that short cut with their own labeled chain. (The blue finish actually comes from eliminating one step in the finishing process.)

Also RSC is usually pretty sharp out of the box but sometimes it seems better than others...

I would give it a hand filing before you give up on it.

I will agree though, a lot of the oregon (husky) chains, though somewhat soft, seem to cut FAST

if one knows how to file thats ok.i dont think the OP is any where near ready to file on brand new chains.

Post the number that is stamped on the drivers - that will ID the chain if it also is stamped "Husqv" on the tie strap.

The chain is stamped "Husqv" on the strap and the driver is stamped "46". There's also a very small "25" stamped on the depth gauge. I just had this chain sharpened on the dealer's $25,000 grinding machine, it did take a little metal off of both the cutters and the depth gauge slightly changing the original shape. Here's a photo of my OEM Husq chain:
P1130695.jpg

Last edited:
H46 is a 3/8 x 0.50 full chiesel chain, very uncomman in these parts anyways. An Oregon equivalent would be a 72C series ie 72CJ, CJX, CK, CKX, CL, CLX.............even with the pics its hard to tell which series of 2C cahin it is, and have searched my library and thus far all i know is its an 3/8" 0.50 and a 72C series oregon chain, but highly suspect a 72CLX, without having the chain in my hands, oh yeah and its sqaure ground

Last edited:
H46 is a 3/8 x 0.50 full chiesel chain, very uncomman in these parts anyways. An Oregon equivalent would be a 72C series ie 72CJ, CJX, CK, CKX, CL, CLX.............even with the pics its hard to tell which series of 2C cahin it is, and have searched my library and thus far all i know is its an 3/8" 0.50 and a 72C series oregon chain, but highly suspect a 72CLX, without having the chain in my hands, oh yeah and its sqaure ground

not anymore. id suspect thats why it cut better when it was new,now its round ground.

Are you sure it's a .50 gauge chain? My bar is .58 and the chain seems to fit perfectly. Regardless of what it is, it cuts like a light sabre.

what size file do you use? It looks like you have a really nice hook to the cutter. My guess is 13/64? Free hand? I think you're cutting really well because you have well hooked cutters...and you're letting the file go deeper into the cutter. Which is fine but the stihl probably hasnt been filed like this. This sort of filing may make the chain dull faster (but will deliver better results so long as the saw can pull it).

EDIT: just read about the grinder. It's cutting so well because it looks really hooked. I had a loop of that stuff and it cut very well though, even hand filed and letting the file ride at standard height.

Last edited:
Unless you are caught up in some sort of labeling blip that certainly shows that it should be 050 chain. Perhaps there is more play than there should be but you are just used to it at this point? Your bar is definitely an 058???

Anyway, replacement for an 058 bar of the similar style is H42

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVA+501+84+14+72&catID=11852

Well, I'll be damned. I just broke out my RCBS digital caliper, the OEM Husq chain is actually .050", the OEM bar is marked .058". All of the Stihl chain I bought seperately is .058". The funny thing is the OEM Husq chain seem to fit just fine.

Do you guys think I should stop using the .050 OEM chain with the .058 OEM bar? My dealer said my chain, bar, and saw all came together.

Well, I'll be damned. I just broke out my RCBS digital caliper, the OEM Husq chain is actually .050", the OEM bar is marked .058". All of the Stihl chain I bought seperately is .058". The funny thing is the OEM Husq chain seem to fit just fine.

Do you guys think I should stop using the .050 OEM chain with the .058 OEM bar? My dealer said my chain, bar, and saw all came together.

Husky chain in 3/8" is almost never 0.50" in North America and would luv to know where it might be, I cant even order a large mount bar in 0.50 from Husqvarna here in Canada (as I said markets are different but North America is the same). Do you have a Husqvarna labeled bar or???? (yes oregon makes bars for husky but there is a difference with labels bars versus oregon fit alls!) If your bar is 0.58 you should get a new bar and chain and run the proper gauge chain to suit your bar.
0.50 will fit on an 0.58 rail just kind of sloppy...........0.58 fits into a 0.50 rail with alot of fustration and clutch burning....................

The problem is that there will be be excessive wear to the bar and chain, and crooked cutting will appear sooner than if the gauges matched.

Back