What type of wood is this? w/pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually I don't see ash go punky around the outside like that closeup piece.

I'm not too picky when it comes to gathering free wood and have burnt more than my fair share of punky wood. Ash rots pretty quick, compared to red oak and other species. And some of the ash in my woodbox at this moment resembles what's pictured there.

For me, the deciding detail is that round with the small piece of bark still on. Ash bark is 'stickier' in some places, less so than others. Elm bark seems to want to all fall off in tact when it gets to that stage of dead.

ash/elm

There is no doubt that the final say on what type of wood it is will be answered as soon as you pick up a splitting axe. You really don't want to split ELM. It is extremely stringy, and a complete nightmare when split by hand (the only way I split by the way). If it splits well and straight as stated above, it is certainly ASH. If you go to split it and you have to cut a bunch of stringy wood between each chunk to seperate them: elm.

Honestly I wouldn't split elm without a hydraulic splitter. Ever.
Here is what my elm looks like in central ohio, after split: http://www.forestry.umn.edu/extension/forest/fireworks%20ready%20firewood/split%20elm%201.JPG

Last edited:
Would the Elm catch fire within minutes?

I'm not sure if the Elm I'm burning has been seasoned very well, but in my case, no it does not catch fire quickly. But it seems to burn a good while in the stove.....the only thing I don't like is the stuff I have sure smokes a lot until it gets going!

Note: I'm comparing primarily to oak, ash, and beech.

I'm not sure if the Elm I'm burning has been seasoned very well, but in my case, no it does not catch fire quickly. But it seems to burn a good while in the stove.....the only thing I don't like is the stuff I have sure smokes a lot until it gets going!

Note: I'm comparing primarily to oak, ash, and beech.

If seasoned, elm burns very well. All those strings give a lot of surface area to light up fast.

No strings attached here!

If seasoned, elm burns very well. All those strings give a lot of surface area to light up fast.

No strings attached here! I'll post a pic of the wood that I split today once my wife gets home and we do tag team with our 8 month old daughter. :)

Dan

Sorry, I didn't see the request for a pic of the smaller logs and...I'm NOT going out again tonight! It's COLD out there! And I'm sitting in a warm house heated by wood! :)

This was split with my splitter. It would split easy with a maul too. If I started on the edge.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Picture of split wood added. Done w/splitter. Because I could!

Picture of split wood added. Done w/splitter. Because I could!

Doesn't look like elm to me! The grain is way too straight.

And like others have said, that tree would most likely be dead already from elm disese. There aren't many living elm trees around here anymore.

There is no doubt that the final say on what type of wood it is will be answered as soon as you pick up a splitting axe. You really don't want to split ELM. It is extremely stringy, and a complete nightmare when split by hand (the only way I split by the way). If it splits well and straight as stated above, it is certainly ASH. If you go to split it and you have to cut a bunch of stringy wood between each chunk to seperate them: elm.

Honestly I wouldn't split elm without a hydraulic splitter. Ever.
Here is what my elm looks like in central ohio, after split: http://www.forestry.umn.edu/extension/forest/fireworks%20ready%20firewood/split%20elm%201.JPG

split%20elm%201.JPG

For Elm that piece really isnt that bad. When the snow melts, I'll post some pics of some elm that I have been splitting that looks like I'm trying to split it sideways.:cry:

Back