What was I thinking...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtboy

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The cold snap finally appears to be over for awhile. Went out to the stacks to refill the wood cribs in the breezeway, and started digging into a new stack. IT'S MY SHOULDER WOOD! I made these stacks 2 years ago. Had to get out the snow blower to go around to the back stack for the good stuff. Will definitely pay more attention this spring when splitting & stacking.

The cold snap finally appears to be over for awhile. Went out to the stacks to refill the wood cribs in the breezeway, and started digging into a new stack. IT'S MY SHOULDER WOOD! I made these stacks 2 years ago. Had to get out the snow blower to go around to the back stack for the good stuff. Will definitely pay more attention this spring when splitting & stacking.

Those shoulder season stacks do seem to hide out. I disovered almost a third of a cord when I was looking for some to add to my locust to get the heat up a bit. Moved itall into the porch early Jan and am still doing half/half stocking the stove.

Harry K

Sounds like you were thinking the winter was going to be one of them newfangled warmer ones.

This is something I need to work on, too. Have been stacking hodge podge in the past, might do it differently this time around. Recently found a stash of 2-year-old red oak I didn't know I had.

Okay, question.

Shoulder wood? Shoulder season?

Anyone know the origin of the term? Is it referring to the time of year where you don't need much wood can bring in a shoulder load at a time, or ???

Okay, question.

Anyone know the origin of the term? Is it referring to the time of year where you don't need much wood can bring in a shoulder load at a time, or ???

A shoulder on both sides of the head, or main cold middle part of the heating season

..or your trees have dandruff, one or the other

Okay, question.

I'm of no help on the origin as I call it junk wood and not shoulder wood. It is typically poplar, white birch, hemlolck, spruce, balsam and any punky hardwood I have. I bring in a shoulder load at a time 2-3 times a day every day I'm burning and the wood type I bring in depends on the weather.

shoul·der (shōl′dər)n.
6. An angled or sloping part, as:
a. The angle between the face and flank of a bastion in a fortification.
b. The area between the body and neck of a bottle or vase.

It's the time of year when you're wood burning is ramping up, or down.

Latest posts

Back