What was the first year that chain brakes were required by law in USA ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely prefer having a brake on my saws. I am working on an 076 without brake, but the hope is that I can find and handle and side cover with brake for it. The case has the lugs in place, so it should be a bolt-on process.

Why does some of you not like the chainbrake? I think it's great, although it can't prevent stupidity!

I don't think it has made my cutting any harder, or difficult!
I know this old but some get tossed because if a guy is boring faces for a block your handle bar hand can trigger the brake stopping you mid cut with a long bar not fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I can live without them, but many want chain brakes, even some loggers with 30 years of cutting experience. I'm working on restoring a 1958 HomeLite XL that's a brute. It has no chain brake. But, I have an all-metal circa 1978 Husqvarna 35 that has one. My 1977 Mac 610 also has one. On the other hand, I now own a 1983 Poulan 4000 that has no chain brake:
P1010030_zpsveksfqyx.JPG
Heckuva saw. I wish they still made saws like this one.

Attachments

• Poulan 4000 Chainsaw.jpg
    Poulan 4000 Chainsaw.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 15
Chain brakes are fine until you come across one that is like trying to set a bear trap.

If I remember correctly, the early Husky chainbrakes had a thumb wheel adjuster for setting how easily they were triggered. As for chainbrakes in general, I'm all for them. On modern saws they operate seamlessly. To me they're like chaps, ear muffs, and a hard hat. After 30+ years I don't even block up firewood in my own back yard without them. My first round of stitches cost more than the chaps that would have prevented them. And it only took 7 or 8 to sew me up.

Saws without chain brakes belong on a shelf or at gtg's, not in any type of actual work environment. Though im the type of guy who thinks dummies who dont wanna wear seatbelts or helmets on the road ought to be allowed to go right ahead. Thin the herd a bit ya know?

I definitely prefer having a brake on my saws. I am working on an 076 without brake, but the hope is that I can find and handle and side cover with brake for it. The case has the lugs in place, so it should be a bolt-on process.

This is for sale in NZ. Really expensive but what you are looking for.

Paul.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170722-193717.png
    Screenshot_20170722-193717.png
    811.4 KB · Views: 15
Not sure how Stihl could have made their chain brake mechanism more complicated and harder to repair:
084 Chain Brake.png
Now couple this with a strong spring that reaches across it to the top hook and the strap that hooks below and which has to be engaged while assembling the rest. And, if you ever walked into a Stihl dealer's repair shop, you will likely see over 100 chain brake handles. One dealer told me that fixing broken chain brakes might be his #1 most common repair item.

I told him I had gotten pretty good at it. He said, "Heck, Edwin, I could probably hire you full time to do almost nothing but that repair."

Man ive always thought stihls were pretty well set up compared to most older huskys. I like the prior reference to setting a bear trap, which is how i feel when fixing a brake on any 2-series husky.

Latest posts

Back