What was your dad/family's first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad never owned a saw until late in his life. I remember him renting some saws in the mid 60's to early 70's to do specific tasks. I bought my first saw in 1978, an old Mall gear drive which I still have but have not run in 30 years. The next year I bought a Poulan 361 that I still have, it needs a carb kit to run again.

Around 1980 my dad bought a small Homelite (XL or Super 2?) that he used up until he passed away in 1982. I think my mother gave it to his business partner who apparently managed to avoid injuring himself with it.

Poulan 245A

Dad's first saw was a 245A, he handed it aver to me several years ago after buying a Stihl Wood Boss. The 245 still runs great, just a new carb kit and put on it. Other that b&c and carb kit, it's all original.

Ran the crap outta' a 031AV for several years, then traded it up for a 045AV Super Electronic, which ran great for many, many years 'til I blew it up last fall. :frown:

we bought dad a brand new mac 10-10 auto oiler ,im guessing '72'73 i was scared of that beast when he put it through its seasonal abuse . a few years later i started doing firewood and had to bring that tired unit back to life ,bar,sprocket ,chains ,bar studs, plug,g filt,and misc missing screws made it happy again ,i was happy making xtra cash on weekends [ hardwood cords sold for 60.00 delivered] then i found a jonsereds dlr ,back then we didnt refer to it as cad ,been buying em since '80 no regrets and no cure lol jk

Seems like a lot of people upgraded to stihl later. My dad did the same thing with the husky. He ran it for ten or twelve years and didnt take very good care of it. Then he went out and bought a barely used 029. I have both of them now and i love the husky. Its older so its a bit more rough to use but it screams for a saw that was covered in rust a year ago.

Mac 10-10

Dad had a Mac 10-10 from the 1970's. He still had it when he died in 1998. Mom gave it to the neighbor right after he died and before I got CAD. (Really Mom?) I wish I had it now.. When I worked with Dad, he was usually the cutter and I'd have to cary cut wood and cut limbs. I always wondered how he could pick cutting locations that required that I ALWAYS had to carry that stuff up hill .....

Zip

1960's Homelite Zip with I guess a 16 or 18" bar. All metal, easy starting but kindve heavy for my size.

We also later had a Homelite XL for ligther work..on our pecan grove and forestry area.

Family saws

The 1st saw in our family was a brand new 72 041 Farmboss, still runs, waiting on clutch shoes that are on order.

My 1st saw is a 59 Homelite 7-19C that I got in 1977, yes, I ran it this past weekend and it still runs great.

Don ( 114 saws now in the collection)

We had one saw starting in the 1970's, a Craftsman/Roper 3.7 with that self-sharpening thingy. It was used hard and was the first saw I ever used. We weren't poor but not wealthy either, and Dad bought tools from Sears. We'd have one of something and use it until it could not be held together anymore, and then reluctantly buy another. The idea of having two or spending money for some designer-name trophy would have been laughable - about as likely as paying $50 for a tee-shirt with the name "Hollister" on it would have been, had such silliness existed then. I bet I'm not alone in that experience.

Dad bought the McCulloch 3420 I have now and used it a lot, but then parts got hard to get so it was shelved. He bought a couple of saws after that which never worked right from new (the Poulan 2775 and a Stihl MS250C), and now he has a Husky 455 Rancher he really likes. Because it works. I fixed the 2775, the Mac and the Stihl, and I gave him the Stihl back because he should have it as backup (he did buy it after all, and why do I need 5 saws?). He took it back, but I know he doesn't see any need to have two - if the Husky doesn't fail he'll never use it. Some things never change!

I will fix my Craftsman WT eventually when I scrape up the spare cash for a new P&C, but that's it. I'm fine with Joe-6-pack saws, and 4 is enough. I do, however, take better care of them then Dad did.

Stihl 031AV

My grandfather's first, and only saw was the 031AV which I plan to restore. Sentimental reasons, I guess. My first saw was a PowerMac 35 which was fine when it worked. I remember thinking what a nice looking saw it was.

lumber saw

Grandfather on my mom's side had an old John Deere engine belt driven saw with about a 30" blade. I have a picture that I frame made from some of the aged pecan lumber. The saw was used till about 1964. Also used a 6 foot 2 man saw at some point.

My dad bought a used McCulloch Mini Mac 25 some time in the early/mid '70s, his one & only chainsaw to my knowledge. He might've ran a chainsaw as a kid on the farm in Oklahoma, but I never heard him or my uncles mention using a chainsaw in the 'good old days.'

I found it partially disassembled in his tools & misc stuff after he passed away, and one day I'll get it going for sentimental reasons.

My first saw was a Sears/Poulan micro 25 bought new in 79. It was my only saw since I mainly did just trimming and in 86 my mom had a dogwood tree that needed to come down. After watching me struggle with the non AV Poulan she felt sorry for me and got me a new 028 super that I still have today. Burned up the Poulan though a few years later and bought a new Husky 36 in 91 to replace it. I still have it too. The dealer I got the Husky 36 from still has my old Poulan hanging up along with a bunch of other dead saws. Those were my only saws till CAD stuck last year.

I think I remember my dad having a Poulan, but then he upgraded to a Husky 51 which I now have and still run all the time...

I'll Play!!

MY dad bought a McCulloch electric saw to do some trimming around the house. I barrowed it when I first moved to the mountains. The first place we live at (rental) backed up aginst the forest, and there were tons of downed trees (a couple of years later a fire raged through that forest and burned a few homes). I use to head into the woods with my ax and cut six footers and walk them back to the house. Then use the elctric saw to buck them. You might talk smack about an electric saw, but boy do they got torque. They never bog down and don't leave you smelling like 2-stroke farts.

I got an old double buck saw from a guy's garage who was moving out. Saw it (pun intended) leaning in the corner and he was already flustered with all the crap he needed to get rid of. I talked him up about the saw, telling him stories of my jogging team days. And before his last load he tells me the saw is mine. My girlfreind and I would head into the forest and buck six footers that we would then hump out of the woods back to the house to buck and split. Yes years later, the GF became my wife. Man how I miss that girld friend of mine. GFs are willing to do all kinds of cool stuff; wives: not so muich.

I currently also have my freinds grandfathers saw. IT is a mini MAC. Doesn't run though. One of the gas line fitting doesn't fit and leaks gas all over the place. I should really get that thing running again.

My dad had a crappy Peugeot electric chainsaw. Since, I got him a 026. I have the old Peugeot in my basement. Still runs but that thing is scary! Jumps to your face when you start it but barely cuts wood! When I was a kid, that chainsaw was a forbidden tool for me. 20 years later, I taught him lumbering and got him a decent chainsaw. That 026 gets plenty of use and works like new.

my grandfather bought a 076 super and a echo 452evl new when i was a kid. he used them to clear the farm i live on now. i still have them both. the 076 is old,ugly and tired,but runs good. the echo is near mint, and runs like new.

My great grandfather bought my great step grandmother a Power Mac 6 for their anniversary; she wanted out of the buzz saw business, and he still had the waste from the sawmill to cut up. My grandfather bought that saw on their auction, and thats what I learned to use at 11 to help him out. That way, Dad and I cut, and then got to pick everything up with help from grandma, mom, and my younger brother and sister. Grandpa spent more time in the cab of the tractor this way. My uncle bought it at his auction, it still ran, but hes probably thrown it away by now. The buzz saw may be a winter project, it mounted on a B John Deere. We would cut a lot of stuff to length, fill a hay rack and then handle it again with the buzz saw. I got fast enough with the PM6 that we didn't do much of that.
Fast enough meant I kept it out of the dirt so it still would cut. As long as it cut, I didn't have to pick the little stuff up.

Back