what was your worst work prank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i took a hand full of poison ivy and wiped it all over a coworkers lunchbox and stuck it in his lunchbox. he didn't know how to id poison ivy...haha!

LMAO at the wind testing!!!!!!!! I will tell one. It was pulled on me first then by me on several others. Wait until a climber is about ten feet from the ground ( while hanging from a rope) . They need to be out from the tree a little so they wont hit anything as you spin them. You take the rope and hook thier feet and pull, you have to time it right so you catch thier feet with each revolution. You have never ridden a carnival ride like this I promise. You or whoever is spinning will be laying flat out with all the blood to the head. I was sick for the rest of the day.:mad:

If ya clap your hands and startle a possum, quite often they will play dead long enough to be handled a bit.

Lets just say that a certain Govt. beaurocrat jackass co-worker, is still wondering how it came to be that 3 Possums ended up in his BMW.That one stirred all manner of investigations....but it seemed to be the proper thing to do at the time....oops! He didn't like folks farting in his cube as they passed either. Strange fella.

A certain Navy Captain and Commanding officer of a itty bitty litle island I was stationed on, had an annoying habit of using the term "Boloney" when making unpopular proclomations. He was NOT liked for his lack of integrity, and complete lack of a Military presence is not an endearing trait to Marines.

The dork got drunk as hell and managed to pass out between the O club and his billet one fair Friday night, where he was discovered by one of our own Marine officers.

The matter was phoned into us as a "Concern" for the good Captains safety, so he was quickly dressed in a Gals party dress borrowed from a Royal Navy officer(Never ask a brit sailor why they have womens clothes handy...) and loaded into his Staff car along with several packages of Bologna slices.
In addition the Car was covered with several dozen slices of Bologna, and all the mustard one could squeeze out of a box of packets.

The Staff Car was parked next to Island HQ and within several yards of the flag pole. Lets just say Sat. Morning all hands Mast was interesting,and the LAST ordered by that #######.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Me likey!!! It reminds me of one time when...............nevermind, check fire.

LMAO at the wind testing!!!!!!!! I will tell one. It was pulled on me first then by me on several others. Wait until a climber is about ten feet from the ground ( while hanging from a rope) . They need to be out from the tree a little so they wont hit anything as you spin them. You take the rope and hook thier feet and pull, you have to time it right so you catch thier feet with each revolution. You have never ridden a carnival ride like this I promise. You or whoever is spinning will be laying flat out with all the blood to the head. I was sick for the rest of the day.:mad:

Do that working for my and you would be unemployed. Do that to me and I will take you to jail for assault! If the cops don't act on it, I would guarantee that someone would be sporting some injuries to document the fight. That sounds pretty dangerous, and I would be exceedingly cranky afterwards.

It does sound like a pretty funny prank to pull though. Just not funny at all to be the victim of, and not safe in the workplace. This definitely qualifies for a very high status in this "worst prank" thread.

Been in the Navy for 10 years, sailors while deployed will always have jokes. Shaving cream in yer buddies boots, blow-up dolls in their racks for when they get off watch in the middle of the night, one of my favorite is to take the heat pack out of an MRE and put it in a plastic coke bottle with some water and toss it in the trash can down in the engine room , if the guy on watch is passed out , when that thing goes he'll usually loose it scramblin thinkin he just lost an engine or something, teachem not to sleep on watch at least.

Flipped chain around while the GF was working on his saw and watched he looked around and finally went to his truck and brought back break and spinner. I walked up and asked what ya doing he said his chain somehow is inside out and I picked it up and flipped it in front of him lol. Then there is the draggin bowline and two man sheet bend:laugh:

Most of the stuff I used to pull at work was fairly tame, like disconnecting the spark plug wire on someone's saw or tying the end of their climbing line off to something.
Worst prank I know of... was when my crew was doing some power line clearance through a regional park. Two guys on the crew had been arguing all morning. On a break one of them grabbed the other's hoody, turned it inside out, then took some large poison oak vines we had cut earlier and smeared the sap all over it. He turned it right side out and put it back. No one said anything cuz we all thought they were both jerks anyway. The other guy puts the thing back on a little later and went back to work. By the end of the day he was itching like crazy, and by the time we got back to the yard his eyes were nearly swollen shut. He ended up missing about a week of work. It actually scarred him in a couple of spots. Started out pretty funny... ended up pretty bad.

take the chain off a saw on the sly, walk up behind someone, rev it up and run the bar up their crotch. (from behind):hmm3grin2orange:

then be prepared to start swinging. :cheers:

do this to a cranky boss and the world doesnt seem so bad anymore

The one time I hollowed out an m80 and soaked it in water then shoved it under the bathroom door. I didn't hear the scampering I had expected to hear from in there so I open the door. The guy was sitting on the pot with his fingers in his ears. Wish i had a camera back then.
After that I switch to bottle rockets, they did the trick.

now on a side note for some fun:
Take one of those dome shaped Weber grill lids and toss a m80 under it real quick on the pavemet.
m-80 under the bar stool um not hollowed out

moocher at the break room table, everyone took turns on buying cakes or dougnuts except grabby, we had enough and got the dunky donuts box and took the choclate creme donut gently squeezed out the creme, and filled and replaced with grease from the grease gun nice and fluffy plump, replace in box with other non tainted donuts and wait fer selfish, yeah he grabbed it and took a bite the rest is a blur because i laughed so hard i almost passed out

Do that working for my and you would be unemployed. Do that to me and I will take you to jail for assault! If the cops don't act on it, I would guarantee that someone would be sporting some injuries to document the fight. That sounds pretty dangerous, and I would be exceedingly cranky afterwards.

It does sound like a pretty funny prank to pull though. Just not funny at all to be the victim of, and not safe in the workplace. This definitely qualifies for a very high status in this "worst prank" thread.

To be honest I laughed when they did it to me,, I laughed when I did it to others. I worked with a rough bunch. If that would have upset you that bad you would have been in trouble quick with that bunch because that was mild compared to some stuff I've seen.. (Who knows what they were put through). After I was put in charge the grab-ass stopped all together. It never ends well, someone either gets hurt or a fight happens. Of course all those guys were gone then. Also when I say I did it to others, I did it to the guys who got me, I also got my brother who actualy enjoyed it :confused:.

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with me having no sense of humor. I pay the worker's comp bills, and that sounds like an excellent way to bash somebody's head on a tree. Besides, the climber MUST be able to trust the groundmen, at least to not do something mean and dangerous on purpose.

I have a low tolerance on the job for stupid pranks that might hurt somebody. Off the job...that's another story.

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with me having no sense of humor. I pay the worker's comp bills, and that sounds like an excellent way to bash somebody's head on a tree. Besides, the climber MUST be able to trust the groundmen, at least to not do something mean and dangerous on purpose.

I have a low tolerance on the job for stupid pranks that might hurt somebody. Off the job...that's another story.

Oh believe me if I had caught anyone doing that crap that worked for me they would have been gone . I paid my comp bills also. But when your young you do dumb things . I see it the same way now but I am also telling you that is tame to some things I have seen. Saw a fellow on another crew hooked himself in the calf when he got down his guys held him down and poured rubbing alcohol and rubbed salt on the cut. I would have shot the bastards if it had been me. It may be different now but there used to be some very rough crews

I worked with a bunch of Amish guys and if one of the young guys was getting married the next day (always on a Thursday) the other Amish guys in the crew would hold them and squirt industrial stamping ink on their "business". I saw some guys fight it pretty hard but I never saw anyone escape the "treatment".
Phil

I almost forgot this one. At a big evil company I worked for years ago, the boss would get all magnanimous at Christmas time and give everyone a can of peanuts. The landscape forman peed in his own can of nuts, spread them out to dry, then put them back in the can and put the can on the edge of his desk. The boss would periodically eat a handfull of whoever's peanuts were left out. Most all the other employees knew what was happening, it was funny waiting for the day when he took from the wrong can. He didn't seem to notice.

I had a couple guys working with me. It was April 1. I went to the grocery store early, before work started, bought a big cut of cheap flank steak. Somewhere mid afternoon they were nearby doing their thing, I was chipping brush. I slipped one arm inside my short-sleeve shirt, just the fingers sticking out enough to grip the slab of meat. I leaned my left side into the chipper box, then started screaming and jerking violently. :cry: When they started running towards me I stepped back away from the machine with this slab of meat wiggling and hanging out of my shirt sleeve, fell to the ground and started flopping like a fish out of water. I still chuckle thinking of that one.

That's what I call an employee meating.

Can work for tree work as well

My first year as an apprentice doing electrical.The journeyman running the job told me to go grab the bottle of ( id 10 t ) told me it was something you put on the end of aluminum wires when making up the breaker panel.When I came back after looking for it for 20 minutes not wanting to disappoint him, he was holding a piece of cardboard with the letters I D 1 0 T .Needless to say I felt like a pretty big idiot:)

Most of the pranks that I did were when I was a professional timber faller.

Most of them were on my Brother-in-law who I was usually partnered up with.

The worst one was when I snuck up and waited for him to fall a big limby Red Cedar (southeast Alaska)...anyhow he fell it and started limbing and I snuck around towards the top and crawled underneath it and played dead...I kinda felt bad as it scared the hell out of him, but we were always trying to one-up each other and I got him good with that one!

Another time I snuck up to his packsack (where fallers keep spare sharp chains, lunch, a few extra saw parts etc) I climbed the tree that his pack was sitting next to, with his pack on my back...climbed about 20 feet up and hung his pack on a limb, and climbed back down and hid and watched. He ran out of gas and came up to where his gas jugs and his now missing pack was...he needed a sharp chain, and it was hilarious to watch him scratching his head wondering where he left his pack, cuz he was always misplacing it...after a few minutes he starts to throw a massive riggin fit (loggers temper tantrum) cuz he thinks he buried his pack with a tree, I came out of my hiding spot laughing and told him to look up in the tree...after calling me a few choice words, he laughed and told me "good one".

I could go on and on, but those were my best pranks. My Dad and Uncle were both loggers and played some good ones on each other and other people...best one my Dad had was one day he was changing a chain on his saw and the woods boss from the lumber mill comes driving up and Dad hurries up and mounts his bar only (minus the chain) (36" bar on a husky 2100)...woods boss gets out of his pickup and comes walking up to Dad in time for Dad to fire up his saw and yell "I am sick of you showin up on our job" and revs his saw and proceeds to stick the bare, vibrating bar between woods bosses legs:jawdrop: I guess that woods boss was in shock for a while over that one, but he later laughed about it.

Gotta keep it fun, but be safe about it!

Chain on backwards on a green saw user is always a good laugh...

The only person I ever felt a need to really mess with was a manager I used to work for at a steakhouse. This was the type of guy who could mess with anyone with a straight face and then DARE you to do something about it.
I made a long term project out of him, and the truck he was so proud of.

Fish fillets in the wheels and bumpers only went so far...and it got a bit dangerous when it rained, he would turn on the wipers and the lard on them would cloud the entire windshield...
The best was when I found out how homophobic he was...

I went to a hippie store and bought a box of about 50 rainbow stickers...they would appear on his truck, in different places, different times and in lots of varieties. Some he would find right away, but those were usually the "diversion" stickers. He finally figured out who was doing all this stuff to his truck, after a few years. Never tried to retaliate...a month or so later he actually gave me a different job that included a raise, $40-$80 in tips a day, and only 12 hours a week. Made more money on weekend mornings than I had working all week in the kitchen.

I don't play pranks with the current boss...not intentionally anyway. Occasionally I will not tighten the oil or gas caps, though that hasn't been a prank, and if it were, I have been the only victim of the caper.

Just don't ever drop a big rock into a fresh cow-pie around him...saw it happen...now THAT is not a fun sight to witness.

Back