What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burn Time !

I get a 4 day burn time in the winter unless it goes into single digits then its a 3 day burn. This is with mixed hardwoods mostly beech and maple, when I get the locust,Oak,hickory burning add 25% to the burn time. In the summer I get 2 to 2 1/2 weeks burn time while using it for hot water only. This wood boiler has been the best investment I have ever made, now I am worried that my oil tank will rust because I havn't filled it in 4 years !

what wood stove

I have an Englander 28-3500 wood furnace. I had an oil fired hot water baseboard system but with the price of oil and the age of my furnace I decided to go with this setup. I live in a small rancher with an unfinished basement and thought this would be the perfect setup. All I did was run ducts to where they were needed, cut a couple holes in the floor, added floor grills and built a chimney. It's not so hard if you know a few masonry basics. Anyway this thing works great. I bought it at Home Depot for half price in the spring ($500) and it heats my 1300 square foot home very well. I don't even have backup oil heat.
You guys out there looking for a great heating system, the best time to look is spring. Home depot always has one or to of these units for a great price.
Happy heating
Greg

cleaning glass

Just one more thought.
I tried glass cleaner, water, dow bathroom cleaner (which by the way works pretty well) cleaning the glass on my wood stove. A couple of weeks ago I discovered while loading up with wood a cheap alternative. I spilled my beer in the process of throwing in another log and decided to mop it up with a piece of newspaper, thought what the heck and rubbed it on the front glass of the wood furnace and WOW it took off all the soot and creosote after a couple of rubs. What the he!! I don't buy glass cleaner any more. Figure I'll be drinking anyway and this is practically free. I'ts all I use.
Stay Practical
Greg

Quadrafire Insert 3100I

We have had this insert stove for 7 years. My house is a 5 bedroom farm ranch with 2800sqft. The stove is located on the first floor in the den, it heats up the adjacent kitchen and dining room. It also heats up the upstairs two bedrooms and 1 bathroom. I use doorframe fans to move the air from the den to the kitchen, and from the kitchen to the hallway where the hot air rises to the upstairs bedrooms.

I can fit 6 6"x17" logs and they last 8 hours where after 8 hours there are some red coals left at the bottom just enough to start another fire. At this point the stove is just warm. I have the dual blowers and use them 24/7 with the stove 24/7. We have 3 more bedrooms on the first floor and I keep the thermostat there at a constant 62°F ( a little cold but we got used to it fast). We have a 3 zone oil heating system, one for the upstairs and two for the first floor so as long as the outside temperature does not drop much below 30°F, only the first floor bedrooms zone is on only once in a while.

The Quadrafire has two levers, one for the flue and one for the air intake. When I first load the wood I leave the door a crack open (with the door handle down) for about 20 to 30 minuets to let the fire catch, then I close the door and let it run for another 5 to 10 minuets. Then I close the flue lever all the way and close the air intake ½ to 2/3 of the way, depending how cold the house is. For the first 45 minuets I run the blower ¼ speed and after the 45 minuets 2/3 to ¾ speed again depending on how cold the house is.

One interesting observation, I have a two zone central air system so I experimented with running the central air fans to move the warm air to the rest of the house. To my disappointment after 1 hour the temperature on the first floor bedrooms actually dropped one degree! I do not understand why but that is what happened.

I tried to give as much information as possible for any new woodstove users to get a feel on what is involved, I hope that helps.

TSC King stove and it sucks! The glass falls out,the deflector falls down,and it has a three hour burn time max..... Why am I still happy?.......no PROPANE.....:greenchainsaw: We purchased it for $100 with a blower to see if it affected the kids's asthma...so far so good. Will have to upgrade next year.

We moved last summer into a house that was heated with a propane stove. Yuk! I knew what that would cost to heat, so out it went. We built a new hearth and put a Quadrafire Cumberland Gap in. I like it so far. We loved the Quadrafire 2100 in our old house, so we stuck with a brand we knew. I did look at the Harmon, but it required a huge hearth.
Brad

I have a Vermont Castings douche west in my 1200 sq ft two story shop. 2 cords a year from Oct thru April. Also a Charmaster wood furnace in my house, this beast consumes 8 cords a year. I wish i had the freestanding job in the house, but the old lady says no

The stove is a Citation by the Salvo Machinery Corp. It was apparently built in 1980 so needless to say it is a relic. But it still does the job.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If anybody know anything about these stove I would greatly appreciate any info. :cheers:

Ashling Wateford here. I like some aspects, hate others. It is a wood miser, however.... if ya can't put enough in the tiny little firebox to burn all night, of course it does not use much. Oh yeah... parts are no longer available in the USA. Boy that is really handy as I NEED some. I will be losing this one for a new one. Any suggestions on a stove that can handle the heavy ash load from cottonwood? It must have a reasonably large fire box as well. Thanks

I get a 4 day burn time in the winter unless it goes into single digits then its a 3 day burn. This is with mixed hardwoods mostly beech and maple, when I get the locust,Oak,hickory burning add 25% to the burn time. In the summer I get 2 to 2 1/2 weeks burn time while using it for hot water only. This wood boiler has been the best investment I have ever made, now I am worried that my oil tank will rust because I havn't filled it in 4 years !

Those are some very impressive numbers! I live like 20 minutes from you BTW. The excavators that worked with me on my recent construction project live in Concordville. Nice area. PM me sometime if you'd be willing to show me the OWB.

I have a Lopi Endeaver and love it. Drafts great, very little creosote and makes a bunch of heat. Highly recommend the stove.
I was burning an old earth stove prior to the Lopi and it left a lot of creosote in the top 3ft of chimney. Especially when I burned alder. A good stove in its day.

I'll take two please

I have an old Hot Shot wood furnace made in Mason City, Iowa that is more than 20 years old and works very nicely to heat my century old two story 1800 Ft² home. I also have an F20 Woodland stove that is also 20+ years old to provide supplemental heat in the addition, enough to keep the whole house comfortable when it's above freezing outside.

I just picked up a Pacific Energy 'Pacific Insert'. I'm really excited to see how this thing performs.

Kirk

I have an old Ashley glass front side loader. Can take 24'' log. Great stove, was here when I bought the house.

I just picked up a Pacific Energy 'Pacific Insert'. I'm really excited to see how this thing performs.

Kirk

I have found the Pacific Energy product we have does not have to be stuffed with wood to really put out the heat. Does a nice job with just a couple of sticks at a time. For night or extended burns, I still fill er up, though.

save the beer...

Just one more thought.
I tried glass cleaner, water, dow bathroom cleaner (which by the way works pretty well) cleaning the glass on my wood stove. A couple of weeks ago I discovered while loading up with wood a cheap alternative. I spilled my beer in the process of throwing in another log and decided to mop it up with a piece of newspaper, thought what the heck and rubbed it on the front glass of the wood furnace and WOW it took off all the soot and creosote after a couple of rubs. What the he!! I don't buy glass cleaner any more. Figure I'll be drinking anyway and this is practically free. I'ts all I use.
Stay Practical
Greg

We have a Regency stove with a glass front door. The stove is great, clean burning, and heats our 1300 sq ft bungalow well, even down to -30°C and colder.

I use a wet paper towel to clean the glass and when the staining is real bad I just dip the wet paper towel into some ashes and use that. It makes a thin paste that is abrasive enough to remove the stains but not scartch the glass. That's what they told us to do at the place we bought the stove and it works great... save your beer for your belly and give this a try!!
:cheers:

Lopi Freedom Insert

I bought a Lopi Freedom Insert and it heats our 2 level 2000ft 1970s built house well on 4-5 chords of pine/fir. It's 3 years old. A few small complaints about it are paint on door is peeling and the reburn bars keep losing cotter pins. But overall, it's great. The heat sensative blowers are absolutely essential or it would just heat the one room.

Darrin
in MT

Latest posts

Back