What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know we always hear stories about bad things happening to other people who work in this business, maybe something bad has even happened to you. My question is, what would you do if something bad did happen to you? I have been having back pains for the past few days because of this cold or whatever it is that I have, plus also I have back injuries from a car accident. I was just pondering what I would do if heaven forbid I got into some kind of accident where I couldn't walk anymore (wheelchair bound). What would you guys do if that happened? I mean really a fall from any height can do that to you, if not worse. Let's hear some thoughts.

Being a disabled vetran I have to face this all the time. When will my physical problems become too much and not allow me to climb? My knees and back were in rough shape when I got out of the Corps in '92. My pention would cover groceries and a dingy apartment.

My family is always carping on me about this, sometimes I want to respond "Shoot myself!" but that would me pointless.

With a catastrofic injury I would probibly go to school full time and get a degree and try find soem research I could do, or maybe try to get a job with a NFP in the tree comunity.

Cant see doing phone woork for a large corp.

Maybe I would apply myself full time to wood working, people seem to like my silly bowls and stuff. I could make beer money form that.

Actually John Ive got 2 ideas for you..... The first you could start a 1-900-fix-tree For an information service from an arborist.

#2 You could Do Web research for Hire because i dont think ive ever seen someone that can find a link for So many Topics.

just a suggestion.

Me GOD forbid i'd Probably Suck up my long term disability insurance,My aflac and SS. and continue to engineer Punch press dies.
:blob2:

Hey JPS, if you happen to do a search that shows anything in Orlando, let me know! I can't seem to find anything here and my mortgage company wants $$ more than they want my house. :(

Start farmin yourself out like I do. It'l get you back in your game. You should have a few contacts in the area. Sell yourself as a highly skilled part time temporary or as a self ensured subcontrctor.

Up here the temp definition can save them on payroll and if you subing saves them on insurance and taxes. A day with this company, two with that. Negotiate an hourly or per job rate that you both can live with.

Be upfront, had these bad things that keep you from putting in a full week at this time, but have all the skills still working right.

I've only had one company react poorly to my disability. Funny thing is I know his father is a Vet with disabilities too. oh well.

Theres alot of people who work by themselves running their own business , I don't see how they do it. I got hurt pretty bad last summer when I wrecked my dirtbike and had knee surgery. I was out completely except for doing estimates for about 3 weeks and still hurting bad but I had to get back up the tree just to see that I could do it!!! I had other guys working so I didn't have to but I needed to. That leg is just now feeling normal again and I went and had another kinda bad wreck where i landed on my back about a month ago and couldn't do anything, luckily we were slow anyway and now that it's picking up I'm slowly working again.
If something came up where I had to lay off my guys and work by myself I would probably stop riding but for now I can't wait to get my parts I've been waiting for to get my bike back together and go riding:blob2:
I try not to take on too much work that my guys can't do without me there helping, they can handle most of it but I'l usually do the technical trimming/removals, landscaping or whatever.

So Todd? what are you saying? Dirt bikes are more dangerous than Tree climbing??????? :D

Twice in 1 year isn't bad considering I was riding almost every weekend, just got back into it last year. And yes it is more dangerous than climbing especially the way I ride! Badly:p

To go along with Treemans question, how many of you self employed guys carry Workmens Comp on yourself?

I carry Health insurance, Long term Disability,Short term and Aflac.No workmans comp.its to expensive.But Hmmmmm i have a Certificate that says i have it.that was an expensive piece of paper!

I looked into W/C for myself as sole employee/sole proprietor they wanted around 5600 for a 32K projected gross (thier minimum for computations). Not in my ball park yet. Thinking about looking at other option since it is one of the biggest sticking points in negotiations.

My bus. is Incorporated and me being an officer I don't have to have workers on my self, I think I was quoted around $1400 min. when I checked about 5 years ago??
I think the disability ins. is alot cheaper? Doesn't make any sense, I only have health ins. right now so I need to check into the disability stuff. How much of your income does it match and for how long?
What is Aflac??????

Mike, Im still considered a fulltime employee where i now work partime so Disability Ins is only
about 25.00 a month thats short and long term they
both cover about 60% of your income the short term
covers for 26 weeks the longterm picks up after that until age 70 and it continues even if you receive SS. To cobra that coverage if i should Quit would be 55.00 a month.

JPS, Call your Insurance Agent ask him about a certificate or Workmans comp You only have 1 employee yourself,Exclude yourself from the coverage Which wont show up on the Certificate And you have a 750.00 Piece of paper the shows you have workmans comp!

They told me about that play. I was uncomfortabel with it. I still might do it though, I've thought about it for other guys I bring in on jobs. They sub through me and are on my insurance. I get a small commision.

Latest posts

Back