What years were the Stihl 084's produced?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PG Carver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering buying a used Stihl 084 AV on Craigslist. The seller says that the saw is only 5 years old, and I do not believe that. Does anyone know the production years of the Stihl 084 AV? My guess is that this saw is over 10 yeas old. Thanks for your time!
T.J.

According to Chain Saw Collectors Corner, the 084AVE was introduced in 1986. It doesn't say how many years it was in production.

According to Chain Saw Collectors Corner, the 084AVE was introduced in 1986. It doesn't say how many years it was in production.

I would think they discontinued when the 088 were introuduced in 1999. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
The 088 came along in 1999, so that's a run of well over a decade to choose from. What kind of price is the guy on C.L. asking, and what's the shape of the saw?

The dude is asking $650 for the saw, and say it runs well. From the looks of the picture, it has a lot of wear on it. What do you think I should offer the guy?

I don't know enough about the 084 to comment on whether it seems like a fair price. I can tell you that quite often, saws that look all scraped up are just cosmetically ugly and run like the ####ens. I've found a few of those over the years.

I asked about price and condition because I figured some of the longtime Stihl assassins on this board would chime in sooner or later on whether it seems like a good deal. Is it anywhere near you so you can go have a look at it and cut with it?

That's cheap for an 084 if it runs properly. Pull the plastic off of it if it is original it has a year stamped in it, also llo at the decal on the chainbrake if it is there it is dated. Not an exact science on the dating but a good guess if it all matches. Biggest problem is the pto side bearings and cases get wollered out. Check the compression and radial end play on the pto side, if they are ok your getting a good deal.

Hey it don't matter how old these old horses are they will work your butt off. I stole one that looks almost new and runs like a champ. The gentleman goes to our church and heard I was looking for a big saw. He said he couldn't run it anymore and his son in law was to sorry to. He asked me $500 and when I went to look at it I took the cash out of the safe and went to buy it. Got there fired it up and fell in love with it. He said since it was me he'd take $400 and I paid him so fast he didn't know what hit him. I took that thing and ran home like I stole it.

When I was pricing before this I had to check on the 088. Got 3 prices from 3 dealers. One was $1995, $1895 and $1795 all plus tax. So you are looking at almost 2 grand. I think what he is asking you is really in line if it check out ok. Be fore warned the parts for this old Monster are high and it won't take long to add up if it needs lots of work. They ain't fast but with the torque they just keep on digging. Saw on and Saw Safe.

The 084 was sold new in North America starting in March of '86, until August of '96. Some dealers had NOS 084s left over for many years though. I know of a dealer who still has a NOS one in his attic.

The 084 is one of the best big saws ever made. I'd snap it up.

I am considering buying a used Stihl 084 AV on Craigslist. The seller says that the saw is only 5 years old, and I do not believe that. Does anyone know the production years of the Stihl 084 AV? My guess is that this saw is over 10 yeas old. Thanks for your time!
T.J.
When I bought mine used ... about ten yrs ago it was in really good condition for 600$ in the Manuel was the original receipt 996$ it's a 1992

Back