What'd you do this weekend???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wellllll, I thought ya'll would get a kick out of how we spend out weekends. We're dorks, lmao... We're finishing up a BIG ole order for a dude...

attachment.php

attachment.php

The wifey did take a vid of a big ole ash we were cuttin'...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8478731576617774629

What a great weekend here in the north country!!! :clap:

Now what'd ya'll do??? :popcorn:

Sorry, just put some parts lists together for a bunch of saws. We're getting some pretty foul whether here in MN. And just when I was getting geared up to go cut. :cry:

On a positive note, I like your stacks you've got made up. Looks like some nice cutting there.

Last edited:
I cut down a maple in the yard of my next door house.

Not a big one, but there are two bigger ones to go yet.

There close to the house and I ran out of nerve, may need some professional help to get the tops out before they come down.

Freaking maples around here are not even fit for firewood, but there tearing up the septic so away they go....

Dropped an elm about 20" dbh Tree was about 10' from a house and all but dead, but solid. Branched off into about 7 - 8 smaller 12" stems. It had a good lean so I just dropped the whole thing perpendicular to the house. Hope to post the video when my nephew gets it done. The 361 had a great day.

Hacked on a 026 jug Im working on, set the clearance, cleaned things up. Mostly I finalized the firewood stacks for next year, and cleaned up the dreaded mess. Damn I hate it when the bugs are moving! Between the carpenter ants and the other borers and roaches, it gives me the willies.

Cleaned up the yard and squared off the new vegetable garden Im gonna till up and plant next weekend!!!

Zucchini, onions, radishes, tomatoes, and peppers!!

took down a cedar tree with a power line running through one side and cable and phone lines within 2 feet of the other side. oh yeah, it was also about 2 feet from a house

I worked in the burn again. Dropped some medium sized tan oaks (24"-32" dbh), bucked up some larger tan oak that has been on the ground since last July, and dropped some leaning redwoods. Here is a pic of a small redwood with of course a goosepen.

Running the 660 over my head is very tiring.

Pico3-21-09098.jpg

This pic is not posed, I was just walking away from the stump. You can see the goosepen I had to cut above.

Pico3-21-09102.jpg

This is my son Cody bucking up some logs that were at the bottom of the burn pile.
Pico3-21-09143.jpg

Sweet!!!!!!

We need more pics. That's what I was hopin for. I was also wondering if anyone was at a standstill, mud season and all. It's still down in the teens here at night so fortunately the ground hardens up really well. 2dogs, those are some beautiful trees there. What are tan oaks I was wondering???

Steve,
Most of the snow it gone, cept in the mountains they are still skiing. This is not too far from the lake, but the lake still has alot of ice on it. When I went to Mass on tues/wed they were ice fishing on lake champlain still... Still some snow in the woods and banks in my yard as well. Hopefully gone soon though...

:cheers: eh?

I got up at 6, flew on 3 different airplains on 3 hours of sleep, a swolen nose, 2 chipped teeth, and a WICKED rich & rare hangover.

Deffinently not the best way to fly.

Omg

I got up at 6, flew on 3 different airplains on 3 hours of sleep, a swolen nose, 2 chipped teeth, and a WICKED rich & rare hangover.

Deffinently not the best way to fly.

Well, that sux... Sounds like you had some fun for a little while though, hehehehehe...

Some of my best times I don't even remember. Sorry to hear dude...

I'd have cut wood.. but my shoulder is still Fubar.

So...I did a little wiring... Converted my lathe to 3 phase and installed a vfd. Made the control box from scrap last week on my mill... Everything except the crimp connectors on the wires is recycled.. even the vfd. The white box is an old ups power box.

DSC_8146Medium.jpg

DSC_8145Medium.jpg

DSC_8147Medium.jpg

DSC_8149Medium.jpg

DSC_8152Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Friday I disassembled, clean, and began reassembling a project 036 Pro. I got it running Saturday but still need more parts to finish it up.

I worked on a couple of Fatguys saws Saturday afternoon. Ordered a new piston and carb kit for his 026.

Spent most of Sunday in bed not feeling well:(

Intend to finish up a 029 Super rebuild this evening.

An 046 and MS460 will be next on the bench unless a couple port jobs show up. Then they take priority.

2dogs, those are some beautiful trees there. What are tan oaks I was wondering???

Tan oaks or more properly tanbark oaks are some of our more prevalent oaks in wetter areas here. They were used extensively years ago during the leather tanning process, the bark for its tanic acid and the wood for fuel. (Santa Cruz had one of the earliest tanneries on the west coast and operated until just a few years ago when shipping leather to China for shoe manufacturing became to expensive. China has no pollution laws so they can produce leather much cheaper. Where the Salz was paying over $20.00 an hour and full benefits Chaina was paying $0.28 (28 cents) an hour.)

Tan oaks make great fire wood tree because they are very straight and have minimal foilage compared to other oaks. The wood can also be sawn into flooring. Some of these trees are 3' dbh though there may be bigger tan oaks where it is wetter. Sometimes when cutting into the wood you will hit a water pocket that will bleed out bright red because of the tannin. The wood does not last long once it is on the ground. 2 years is the maximum before it rots but it is better to pick it up before the first winter.

I will follow this up next week with some pics.

Latest posts

Back