What's a decent bush knife?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything by Cold Steel = Crap :angrysoapbox: I fell for their advertising years ago, and spent big money on quite a few of their knives. Most of them have since failed catastrophically under regular use, and Cold Steel refuses to honor the warranty on any of them. I have sent repeated emails, made phone calls, to no avail. They won't be getting any more of my money, ever.

Anything by Cold Steel = Crap :angrysoapbox: I fell for their advertising years ago, and spent big money on quite a few of their knives. Most of them have since failed catastrophically under regular use, and Cold Steel refuses to honor the warranty on any of them. I have sent repeated emails, made phone calls, to no avail. They won't be getting any more of my money, ever.

That sucks. I guess all their hype and no bs warranty doesn't account for much then. What kind of failures have you had, and with what knives? I sold a truck load of Cold Steel 15 years ago and never had one come back. Only reason I have a large collection of them. I don't beat on em like they do in the promotional vids they market, lol! Some of that is some hokey *&^%!
Then again, I've sold a ton of SpyderCo, Camillus, and Shrade/Old Timers too.

Yeah, Cold Steel is all hype and glam nowadays. Replica's and fast cash from uninformed consumers. The Nike of blades.

How did the knife fail, was it a fixed blade or folder..
I have found the Trail Master, Recon Scout, Recon Tanto and SRK to be solid knives, had them a long time, worked them hard too..

How did the knife fail, was it a fixed blade or folder..
I have found the Trail Master, Recon Scout, Recon Tanto and SRK to be solid knives, had them a long time, worked them hard too..

I'm betting folder.

I've had four different Cold Steel knives fail so far. And everyone has been a fixed blade so far. The first was a True-Flight throwing knife. The seventh throw I made with it , it snapped in half at the handle/blade transition. There was an obvious flaw in the steel where it broke, clearly visible. I took pics, and emailed them to Cold Steel several times, never got a response at all.

The second was a Carbon V Trailmaster Bowie, it developed a crack in the edge about a third of the way down the blade. The crack was about half an inch long, I'm sure the entire blade would have snapped had I continued using it. This knife never did anything harder than trim saplings about an inch thick . Again, no responses to warranty questions.

The next was a Carbon V Kukri, it had a quarter sized chip break out of the blade while chopping through a 3/4 rotten and punky spruce log, about 6 inches in diameter. Not very impressive, considering a $10 thrift store machete finished the job without missing a beat.

The last one that's failed was a Spike, it got dropped accidentally, and a full quarter inch of the tip just bent to a 45 degree angle. That's how soft the steel was , might was well have been mild steel.

Never once have I gotten a return email from Cold Steel about warranty, and even phone calls just end with promises that I will get a call back, and nothing happens. They'll never get any more of my money!

Bad business

mbbushman, that sounds like a raw deal on the CS knives. To have three different products fail shows a lack of quality control on the manufacturers part. The lack of customer service is just bad mojo all the way around, and in MHO, no way to do bidness. So far, I've not had to deal with any of the problems you've had.
Most all my dealings with CS were 13-15 years ago. :msp_confused: If this is how they do business now, I'll never sell or promote another CS product again.

I'd leave the knife at home and carry the water ;-)

If you haven't bought a knife, chances are you don't need one. You'd have bought one already otherwise. If you're going to get one, get one you'll carry everywhere. I'm guessing you're not going to carry a 2' machette down to the mall. Or even out of the truck. Actually, you probably won't carry anything that isn't a folder. A folder will slip into your pocket, and weighs nothing. You can carry it everywhere they don't have metal detectors, and nobody will notice. Get a spyderco. You can't cut a forest down with it, but I'm guessing you've got a chainsaw. I'd go for a delica, or a centofante. They both have the nice balance of being small and light enough to carry every day, large enough to be useful, and sharp enough to do everything form open a letter to dice a tomato to feature in a steven seagal movie. The price is about right too.

Shaun
I took the question as in addition to the folder that everyone should have in their pocket.
Wallet, keys, folder, XD. I have three folders I select from depending on what pants Im wearing.
My K-bar stays in my backpack that also has some other useful items. This backpack goes in the back of the vehicle Im in.

Great knives

For my money (which happens to be $20) you can't beat a laminated steel Mora. I must own a 1/2 dozen of these.
View attachment 273263

I got my son one similar to that for his birthday several years ago. Got them from Sportsmans Guide for $7.99 each. They work great for skinning deer, cleaning squirrels and fish. Soft rubber handle is perfect for wet slick work. Hold an edge pretty good too.

Bought this one several years ago, It is well made but heavy.

attachment.php

Blackjack

Went to the fun show today and swapped away my one token scary black thing, got a buncha cool stuff non scary looking, a decent wad 0 cash, plus one of these, an older but brand new apparently blackjack classic 1-7

Leather, brass, steel, nickel or silver??, and mine has the nut on the pommel, making me think it is an older one, its not pinned like the new ones on their website. Supposedly worth around 3 benjamins or so..Appears to be well made, but what do I know. I do know as soon as the fellow hoss trader keep adding to the pile for the swap, I grabbed that thing and said deal, man! Feels real good in the hand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Depends on the year it was made

Nice Blackjack Classic. I'll trade you a chainsaw for it....;)

Nice Blackjack Classic. I'll trade you a chainsaw for it....;)

*snort* wish I had a better picture, or could get one. I looked on their site and couldnt ind the exact variation on that model.

Balance point is about exactly right where the blade goes through the guard. Not in the middle of the guard, right at that transition point. I cant find anything small enough and square enough right now to get it to stay still, but it will almost balance right on a rolly inkpen barrel.

This is as close as I can get, the new swapped to me knife balancing on the new swapped to me big husky bar.

attachment.php

Swamp Rat Ratmandu. 5 inch blade, carbon steel, and maybe the most comfortable handle I've used. Great no questions asked warranty.

Latest posts

Back