What's a decent bush knife?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of the country are you in, and were do you intend on going with knives in tow.
Potential intentions for use?

99.9% of the time a simple blade under 3" will suit you, be it a folder or a fixed blade, then another...........tool to achieve your objectives.

Have traveled in the wilderness in points all accross Canada, handiest tools apart from a pocket knife have been an chopping axe, snowknife (or serated machete), and a DH Russell Jump Knife.

Many time certain tools are more detrimental to the user if they do not know how to use them or apply them to the task at hand.

What part of the country are you in, and were do you intend on going with knives in tow.
Potential intentions for use?

99.9% of the time a simple blade under 3" will suit you, be it a folder or a fixed blade, then another...........tool to achieve your objectives.

Have traveled in the wilderness in points all accross Canada, handiest tools apart from a pocket knife have been an chopping axe, snowknife (or serated machete), and a DH Russell Jump Knife.

Many time certain tools are more detrimental to the user if they do not know how to use them or apply them to the task at hand.
thats pretty much my theory... I do like a bit larger of a knife for cooking use over a smaller folder. A knife isn't the tool for chopping or slashing, you can cut some small stuff, but there are better tools for the job.

Either of these would be more than sufficient.

Cold Steel Recon Tanto... I've done a lot of testing with this around the house, and it is a very strong knife, and holds an edge well. Still doesn't need to be sharpened after doing everything from peeling bark to chopping 3/4" branches off of trees. Spine is 1/4" thick.

Case Bowie... This is sharp enough to shave with... and also holds an edge well. It'll take 3/4" branches off of trees no problem.

attachment.php

I have my Paraframe II with me nearly 100% of the time. However, I finally lost the first one I had... can't find the dang thing. New one was 20 bucks.

Last edited:
I wish I could. I can tell you though, it always goes with me into the woods. It's nice for hacking small limbs and skinning off loose bark.

As a knife purist, I cringe. Knives are for slicing and very rarely stabbing. Anything else in the woods should be done with the appropriate tool: machete, frisky bush hook, or hatchet. Take care of your tools, and your tools will take care of you.

As a knife purist, I cringe. Knives are for slicing and very rarely stabbing. Anything else in the woods should be done with the appropriate tool: machete, frisky bush hook, or hatchet. Take care of your tools, and your tools will take care of you.

Hmm. Not sure I understand your concern, is it the hacking limbs part? If so, i'm talking limbs not much bigger than pencils, small stuff in the way when i'm humping rounds out to my truck. My edge is thinned out to 24 degrees inclusive and can still take a severe beating. 52100 is some tuff stuff, and will keep our a descent edge.

Hmm. Not sure I understand your concern, is it the hacking limbs part? If so, i'm talking limbs not much bigger than pencils, small stuff in the way when i'm humping rounds out to my truck. My edge is thinned out to 24 degrees inclusive and can still take a severe beating. 52100 is some tuff stuff, and will keep our a descent edge.

Must have compiled you with the guys who said they used their knives to hack branches off. I envisioned thumb sized, and larger, stems being battered by formerly sharp tools, not little twigs being clipped adroitly off.

I usually have three knives on my person at all times. The left front pocket is a folding utility knife with disposable blade I call the "hard use knife". Right front pocket is a tiny folding Gerber (currently misplaced) exclusively for cleaning my nails and a small, two blade one-armed-jack razor. In the right leg rule pocket is a Benchmade Griptilian, arguably the best folding knife I have ever had. In the truck, under the seat is some hardware made by Ruger, and in the glove box is a Cold Steel Black Bear Classic that my brother gave me and that I choked over when I saw how much it cost. When I was kid I used to wear a Buck 119 into the woods but Bucks couldn't hold an edge if they had four hands and each was covered in glue.
View attachment 273726
View attachment 273727
View attachment 273728

For the woods around here (spruce/fir/maple/birch/poplar/pin cherry) the type of slashing cuts some of you are describing doing with big blade bowie style knives is done really well with a Swedish Brush Axe. I carry one of these when I'm doing trail maintenance/cleanup. Works dandy, even on scrub like dogwood and raspberries.
View attachment 273780

Must have compiled you with the guys who said they used their knives to hack branches off. I envisioned thumb sized, and larger, stems being battered by formerly sharp tools, not little twigs being clipped adroitly off.

The Recon Tanto isn't sharp enough to shave with and didn't come from the factory ready to shave either, but the edge really hasn't worn down at all. One very, very ,very tiny ding in the edge. As in a light sharpening would take it right out.

As for the Case, I only did one 3/4" limb. Took it no problem, cleaved it right off. Most of the 'hacking' is on twigs that could be taken off with a gentle slide along the bark.

The angles on both of these knives are good for the heavier abuse... they are not that super thin honed edge like you would see on a straight razor or anything like that.

Latest posts

Back