What's a fair price for this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a hit on Craigslist for a used Stihl 462 that according to the seller needs a new cylinder.

What's a fair offer for this considering the cylinder replacement, and whatever ancillary things that may come with that repair?
Well in my state a 462 will cost u 1400$.new if u can find one . New oem cylinder from dealer is about 269.00 with piston and rings .that being said , a little time and 269 mite b worth it .

It's a little too good to be true to be honest.
Stolen, perhaps. Hence the urgency to get it gone. I had a too good to be true deal last year and when I looked closely there were markings from a tree company on the plastics. I called the tree company and sure enough, stolen. Buyer beware. If your confident it’s not stolen, it seems like a good deal.

Stolen, perhaps. Hence the urgency to get it gone. I had a too good to be true deal last year and when I looked closely there were markings from a tree company on the plastics. I called the tree company and sure enough, stolen. Buyer beware. If your confident it’s not stolen, it seems like a good deal.
The thought definitely crossed my mind. Although he initially posted in over a week ago, and only sold 2 of the 3 saws. But I'll look closely over the saw before I pull the trigger.

So usually1/2 price is where u should be including part cost in my book . Anything that brings you up over half price , save up and just buy it new in my book

Met with the seller today. Young kid, said he bought the saw from his boss he worked for before starting his own tree service company. Says he was getting out of the business to join the coast guard and needed to unload quick due to going to MEPS soon. Didn't get a bad vibe from him, seemed honest and forthcoming with info. Saw had no previous company markings on it, only a sticker from the dealer he bought it from.

As for the saw, well it definitely needs a good cleaning and some work. Top cover was cracked, rear handle also, sprocket was junk. I only had a little bit of time to look at it, and it was covered in sawdust. Where it gets interesting is what he said when I asked what he thought was wrong it, his answer, "I stripped the spark plug threads". And sure enough, they're definitely stripped. But I was still curious about the state of the piston, took some pictures.
IMG20230331171921.jpgIMG20230331171945.jpgIMG20230331171959.jpg
IMG20230331172232.jpg
IMG20230331172259.jpgIMG20230331172305.jpg

That piston might, be still good, you have to do a top end teardown and check the cylinder, but at the first glance i’ll say you may get off with just some new rings. But that’s only a slim chance unfortunately
However i say you have a salvageable saw that you can use afterwards

Since I have done many of these insert repairs I will add that the inserts for a chainsaw should have a flat seat made for crush washer seat two stroke type sparkplugs, the most common inserts are made for taper seat automotive type sparkplugs. Ask the suppliers if the inserts are designed for two strokes if it is not included in the description of the inserts.

Since I have done many of these insert repairs I will add that the inserts for a chainsaw should have a flat seat made for crush washer seat two stroke type sparkplugs, the most common inserts are made for taper seat automotive type sparkplugs. Ask the suppliers if the inserts are designed for two strokes if it is not included in the description of the inserts.
I'm most likely going to be replacing the P+C, but thanks for the tip, it will be useful in the future.

I'm starting to slowly take pieces off and cleaning them, seeing what's damaged and may need replacing.

I pulled the clutch cover (captive nuts) and looked at the part number, 1140 648 0461. Which is odd because a quick Google search shows that p/n is the clutch cover for a 261/362.

The 462 IPL I got from @ray benson shows p/n 1142 640 1701 or 1705/1706.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Back