What's is there to like about wrap handles anyway?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydozenfarm

THE MAN OF STIHL
Reaction score
so I've been working on a saw that I came across recently: an 066 with a full wrap handle. The saw was in decent shape but cosmetically it was a bomb.
I've never owned or worked with a saw with a wrap handle before this one and I have to say I'm not seeing the appeal.
I mean seriously, its right in the way of the clutch cover and makes switching out bars and chains an even bigger PITA in the field.
Do you guys really hold on to the saw on that part of the handle? I have always been leary of keeping any body parts on the eastern half of a saw. I'm assuming it's mainly used for felling large trees, but why not lay the saw the other way? I don't know, maybe I'm missing the boat on this one.

If you havent had ro fall a large tree that requires making a cut from.both sides, you probably won't know the answer to your question. Yes it makes it a lot easier and safer rather than trying to hold and use the saw cutting with the top of the bar.tru holdong it that way for yourself and make a big cut. Its much preffered to use the bottom.of the bar. Now on the up side, when stumping, the non wrap version can get much closer to the ground when trying to save as much wood as possible.

more of a personal preferance thing and what you are using the saw for ,if doing a lot of felling ,it makes it easier to make all cuts from one side of the tree ,once i start cutting i do not like walking under or behind a tree myself

Honestly, I think it's preference. I've been putting them on mine, and to me the saw feels much lighter (even tho it's heavier) as I'm not having to "lift" the saw into a falling position, merely allowing my left hand to stay basically in the same position while rotating the powerhead.
Here's a video. Ignore for a moment my general awkwardness...
For a variety of reasons, this was the only side of the tree I could safely stand on. With a half wrap I would have had to use a lot more muscle to either "lift" the powerhead into cutting position from the top, or back barred (which I feel is totally fine, just a lot harder to "dog in" and hit your corners (at least for me).

The first and last i ever owned with a full wrap handle was a Stihl 038 magnum.Just seemed awkward and of course cutting stumps as low as possible was impossible.My logging consist of pulling 10-20" trees through the woods with a 50 horse power farm tractor ,so low stumps are a must.Im sure out west with the yarders and grapple skidders it aint as important.I can see the advantage of full wrap with cutting a notch though

I definitely don't know a whole lot about the different kinds of felling techniques. I usually just do the standard face cut and back cut hinge. If I absolutely have to drop them onto a dime, I will usually get a ladder and hook up a winch line midway up the tree. Then face cut/back cut slowly and pull a little with the winch until it falls. I don't know, the handle on this saw needs to be changed anyway because the rubber is coming off, I may just go with a standard handle back on it.
I can't say I feel very comfortable holding onto a saw that close to the chain.

the handle on this saw needs to be changed anyway because the rubber is coming off, I may just go with a standard handle back on it.

You might find someone here on A.S. willing to swap you on the Trading Post. Wrap handles are very desirable to some guys.

Philbert

Honestly, I think it's preference. I've been putting them on mine, and to me the saw feels much lighter (even tho it's heavier) as I'm not having to "lift" the saw into a falling position, merely allowing my left hand to stay basically in the same position while rotating the powerhead.
Here's a video. Ignore for a moment my general awkwardness...
For a variety of reasons, this was the only side of the tree I could safely stand on. With a half wrap I would have had to use a lot more muscle to either "lift" the powerhead into cutting position from the top, or back barred (which I feel is totally fine, just a lot harder to "dog in" and hit your corners (at least for me).

Nice vid Husk!

Back