What's it worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to sell my old 22 ton Husky splitter. It's got a lot of hours on it and the new car smell has long gone.
It starts first pull every time, and It's kinda rugged looking but it works just fine.
What should I ask for it? I'm wanting 400 to 500 but that may be wishful thinking.
What would you pay for a used splitter in this condition.

10mmtkg.jpg

66b32b.jpg

2z4abe1.jpg
I wish mine would start on the 1st pull. When it was new it was stupid easy to start but not so much now after ten or more years, especially in cold weather.
I see you've done some pluming on that one.
It's worth whatever someone's willing to give for it.

I wish mine would start on the 1st pull. When it was new it was stupid easy to start but not so much now after ten or more years, especially in cold weather.
I see you've done some pluming on that one.
It's worth whatever someone's willing to give for it.

Sometimes you have to pull it twice, but it starts very easy. I moved the return hose over a little because drop offs were cutting the hose at the fitting.

Sometimes you have to pull it twice, but it starts very easy. I moved the return hose over a little because drop offs were cutting the hose at the fitting.
I've replaced the return hose on mine a couple of times from splits dropping on it.
Putting it there along with no fuel shutoff is the biggest complaints I have with it.

I may have lowballed myself on this one. In less then 24 hours, I've had 5 offers near or at the price I am asking.
One guy is located a long way from me, so he wont compete with me on sales. He didn't even flinch at $550 so I told him I'd hold it far a few days. The roads have iced up so he can't get out today. I could pull the ad and wait a while and re post it at a higher price but 550 is good considering how much wood I have ran through it over the years.
My new splitter is so much better and faster, I doubt I'll ever want to use the old one again. I'll just put that money toward the new one when the bill comes in a week or two. I have the money set aside for the new one before I bought it. I used the card because it was easier.
It'll be like loosing an old friend.

Pulling the ad and raising the price is a scumbag move. If I was a potential buyer and a seller did that i'd lose interest quickly. No time to play games. You picked a price and someone is willing to pay it, so I think you should sell it for that price.

Meh, I see what you're saying, and I agree that as a buyer, I'd be peeved, but unless he's agreed to something already, it's still his splitter and he's welcome to do with it as he pleases. Pull the ad and relist is fair game. Just my .02

Pulling the ad and raising the price is a scumbag move. If I was a potential buyer and a seller did that i'd lose interest quickly. No time to play games. You picked a price and someone is willing to pay it, so I think you should sell it for that price.

The way I am reading his post, he is pulling the ad to give a buyer a chance to get there, considering the distance, and road conditions, and at the listed price. The way I read it, he is Standing up, and honoring his price, if the buyer, shows up and takes it.

If that deal falls through, and he relists it at a different price, I can see some people not being Happy, but if he didn't have any agreements with any of them, I don't think there is anything dishonorable about that, Just MY Opinion, YMMV,

Doug

Don' freak out. The splitter is still listed at 550. I did turn down the first low ball offer of 450. The roads are too bad for travel, but the first offer at the listed price gets the first chance, once the roads clear up. I started a list of the people that called in order in case the first guy ends up a no show. (witch happens a lot with cl ads)
It was only hind sight that I should have asked for more, because the response has been so fast. I've had 5 offers in 24 hours, witch tells me I should have asked for more, thats all.
I'm just surprised how quick people have been calling.
For those that say it's a crappy move, well maybe, but it's a dog eat dog world and no one ever gives me a break. I would however not sell to a local guy planning on competing with me for wood sales. Come on, get real people, that would be stupid.

The WILDLY POPULAR Amazon, adjusts prices constantly based on sales levels, I don't hear people criticizing Amazon.

I bought a couple Halibut Rods on Amazon using Amazon Gift Cards earned with Hotel points, when I went to order a couple more 2 weeks later, the Price had gone UP :surprised3:, should I have Bad Mouthed Amazon for raising the price on the identical item? They were EXACTLY, the same Rods that I had ordered a couple weeks earlier, they should have sold me the third and fourth rods at the same price they sold me the first and second, RIGHT?:omg:

I should have bought all 4 the first time, but I wanted to make SURE, that they were indeed the rods that Amazon listed, my very first Amazon purchase was a Truck Specific GPS, LISTED as NEW, in RETAIL Packaging, it showed up in a black and white Garmin box, without ANY paperwork, manuals or proper packaging, I would bet a Months mortgage payment, that despite how it was LISTED, it was a Factory Refurb, not NEW :angry:. I should have refused it, but was an Amazon nubie, and wanted the GPS, Now, I don't fully trust Amazon, until I actually have the item in my hands and can VERIFY, that I got what was Advertised/Bought.

Doug

A store raising a price is a little different than someone selling a used item on craigslist, getting interested parties and then pulling the ad to resist it for a higher price. I don't agree those changes are solely based on sales levels. Gas stations change prices often as does your local oil company, lumber yards, etc, etc. What they pay for the product and what it costs to get it to the customer change, so there price to you changes accordingly. I agree he has the RIGHT to pull the ad and jack up the price, and I understand he didn't actually do that. All I'm saying is that sort of stuff turns off a lot of buyers.

Anytime you can sell an item for full asking on CL where the buyer ACTUALLY shows up is a win. Out of those 5 offers, realize 3 or 4 would most likely never actually show up with the cash.

Cash offer...is there any other kind?
I am very good with the price, however, I am out of the country with my work. I will send a check for $700. Once it clears, my shipper will pick it up. Kindly pay him the extra $200. Will just need name and address and bank of deposit.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

A store raising a price is a little different than someone selling a used item on craigslist, getting interested parties and then pulling the ad to resist it for a higher price. I don't agree those changes are solely based on sales levels. Gas stations change prices often as does your local oil company, lumber yards, etc, etc. What they pay for the product and what it costs to get it to the customer change, so there price to you changes accordingly. I agree he has the RIGHT to pull the ad and jack up the price, and I understand he didn't actually do that. All I'm saying is that sort of stuff turns off a lot of buyers.

Unless they are following this thread, they would never know. I would simply wait 30 days before reposting and change the photo.
As for retail prices go, they raise the price on the same stock they paid less for all the time.
Lets say a gas station buys a truck load of fuel at x amount. They do raise the price on the same gas they paid less for, unless they ran out and had to re stock at a higher price. I call bull **** on all those that say they wouldn't consider raising the price, if they were in the same boat.
Get off your freakinh high horse people. You know damn well you would consider it as well.

I may have lowballed myself on this one. In less then 24 hours, I've had 5 offers near or at the price I am asking.
One guy is located a long way from me, so he wont compete with me on sales. He didn't even flinch at $550 so I told him I'd hold it far a few days. The roads have iced up so he can't get out today. I could pull the ad and wait a while and re post it at a higher price but 550 is good considering how much wood I have ran through it over the years.
My new splitter is so much better and faster, I doubt I'll ever want to use the old one again. I'll just put that money toward the new one when the bill comes in a week or two. I have the money set aside for the new one before I bought it. I used the card because it was easier.
It'll be like loosing an old friend.
The icey roads and bad weather can make getting there hard, but the bad weather could also be the reason you are getting so many offers in such a short time. Weather clears up and some of those buyers could disappear. When I sale something, first person with the cash buys it. If someone asks me to hold for a few days, I just tell them to call before they showup to make sure I havent already sold it. Pulling the ad and relisting could come back to bite you. Who thinks about buying a wood splitter two or three weeks after the big storm and the weather is now nice and warm.

Been thinking about selling my DHT splitter I bought a year and half ago. After splitting with my buddy last week and using his family's splitter I was amazed at how fast it was. He has one that a guy built for him that looks like a Timber wolf with the log lift, 4 way, and auto cycle. We split close to 4 cords and barely broke a sweat. With the action you got on your listing it's getting close to pushing me over the top.

Been thinking about selling my DHT splitter I bought a year and half ago. After splitting with my buddy last week and using his family's splitter I was amazed at how fast it was. He has one that a guy built for him that looks like a Timber wolf with the log lift, 4 way, and auto cycle. We split close to 4 cords and barely broke a sweat. With the action you got on your listing it's getting close to pushing me over the top.

Do it!

You're close enough that you could drive to Eau Claire and pick one up from @Wolfe Ridge. Save a mint over a Timberwolf.

The icey roads and bad weather can make getting there hard, but the bad weather could also be the reason you are getting so many offers in such a short time. Weather clears up and some of those buyers could disappear. When I sale something, first person with the cash buys it. If someone asks me to hold for a few days, I just tell them to call before they showup to make sure I havent already sold it. Pulling the ad and relisting could come back to bite you. Who thinks about buying a wood splitter two or three weeks after the big storm and the weather is now nice and warm.

Good point, I had also considered that as well.
I also don't raise my wood prices because of the weather. I know a lot of people do take advantage of any situation that favors them in any way.
I have sold out of fire wood this year. I'm turning down sales right and left.
I do have wood sitting on the yard split seasoned and ready to go. However the rodeo is just around the corner and cook off season. I just called the first guy that offered 550 and he said he still wanted it. I'll give him a day or two to make good, then it's on to the next offer.

Latest posts

Back