What's on your bench? 9-15-2012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SL11A with oiler issues.

My 7-10A, got new rings so I had it tore down to replace them. Got it all put back together but it's not wanting to run. Looks like a weak spark. Not sure how, because it started before rebuild. But now it's weak, so I'll be converting to mega fire electronic ignition.

Stihl 044bb that sheared off the key for the fly wheel last night but got a new one today and a 031av that needs new av mounts that im to cheap to buy new for. Just got my pp365 off the bench after opening up the muffler a tad bit.

Last edited:
All too big to be on a bench but; 2 Seadoos 3 Mxzs and a fishing boat. Seasons are changing.:biggrin:

attachment.php
things handed to me in a box.

Not going to lie since my "Sled nest egg" was stolen, The D&D 720 bottom end has new bearings and that's about it. I guess to keep moving forward I did build a set of carbs identical to the ones already setup on my sled for the same motor.

Still fighting with Poulan 25 Super Deluxe. Ordered, received and installed complete NOS oil pump, lines and gasket, purchased from a guy who's mother should have named him Jesse James. Damn those hen's teeth are getting expensive. Having difficulties getting flywheel nut to screw on. First time I've run into this issue in over 35+ rebuilds. Likely happened when tapping off flywheel, instead of using a puller. Waiting on Monday to pick up a metric tap and die set to clean up threads, even though they look okay. The variety of nuts I got at Ace just won't turn more than a thread, or two. Dang the bad luck!

photobucket-4497-1344829468746.jpg

McCulloch Super 2-10A with a siezed DSP valve pin. The stamped steel spring seat that's staked onto the head of these valve pins is broken off. Recently received a good used replacement valve pin and other needed parts from a friend here. Now to get the damn old valve pin out.

Last weekend I soaked it with penetrant around the stem and through the DSP port that feeds into the muffler. Repeatedly heated the cylinder around the valve bore. Grabbed it with vice grips. Couldn't get it to budge. It's been sitting/soaking for a week, so hopefully it's in the mood to cooperate now. In the morning I'm going to use a dremel with a reinforced cutoff wheel to slot the tip of the valve pin so I can put some twist on it with a screwdriver.

I see the boogered "pin", lucky you. Curious, what does the DSP stand for?

DSP stands for "DeStroking Port". That was McCulloch's trade name for their compression release system. Opened a small port from the side of the cylinder to the muffler. Effectively raised the exhaust port and shortened the compression stroke to reduce compression during starting. Works very well. Newer McCulloch designs used the now common replaceable 'poppet' type comp release valves in the DSP systems. The first versions were like this one with the integral valve seat (in the steeel cylinder liner itself) and tapered valve pin.

The stem has staking on the end to retain the spring seat (which is broken off here). Between the staking and the mung that's still on the valve in the pic (shot right after removing the spring, bracket, and broken valve spring seat) it looks boogered. Other than the broken off spring seat (which has the center of it broken out), the valve pin itself has no visible damage. If I wasn't able to get a good used replacement valve pin from a friend, I would have probably made my own spring seat and staked it onto this stem.

I'm really hoping that the old valve pin comes out, and the cylinder's valve bore cleans up and allows the 'new' valve pin to seat and seal in it. The Shop Manual mentions lapping a replacement valve pin in the cylinder using valve grinding compound............so if I have to do that I'll be tearing most of the saw down. I hope to have this saw back up and running to take with me to the NorCal GTG in November. Got a few more saws to sort out still before then.

DSP stands for "DeStroking Port". That was McCulloch's trade name for their compression release system. Opened a small port from the side of the cylinder to the muffler. Effectively raised the exhaust port and shortened the compression stroke to reduce compression during starting. Works very well. Newer McCulloch designs used the now common replaceable 'poppet' type comp release valves in the DSP systems. The first versions were like this one with the integral valve seat (in the steeel cylinder liner itself) and tapered valve pin.

The stem has staking on the end to retain the spring seat (which is broken off here). Between the staking and the mung that's still on the valve in the pic (shot right after removing the spring, bracket, and broken valve spring seat) it looks boogered. Other than the broken off spring seat (which has the center of it broken out), the valve pin itself has no visible damage. If I wasn't able to get a good used replacement valve pin from a friend, I would have probably made my own spring seat and staked it onto this stem.

I'm really hoping that the old valve pin comes out, and the cylinder's valve bore cleans up and allows the 'new' valve pin to seat and seal in it. The Shop Manual mentions lapping a replacement valve pin in the cylinder using valve grinding compound............so if I have to do that I'll be tearing most of the saw down. I hope to have this saw back up and running to take with me to the NorCal GTG in November. Got a few more saws to sort out still before then.

wiener, lean on it some

wiener, lean on it some

Oh I will do so tomorrow Randy. I was out of cutoff discs for the dremel. Picked up some today. Just wasn't getting a grip on the little bastard with anything I had to turn or pull it. Don't want to bust the cylinder casting either. It's coming out tomorrow one way or the other. Also picked up a small slide hammer setup yesterday for pulling seals and such. That may get deployed here if needed.:D

Yeah, no ####.

Yep. BTDT. Last time we moved, I could only take a week off. The rest of the time, I was slaving away on my weekends and after work. That SUCKED. We moved my folks to their new place and us into the family homestead at the same time. A lotta crap just got boxed and crammed into places. We're still sorting through and throwing away stuff 3-4 years later. There's a box of Mac parts that I'm STILL looking for....

Latest posts

Back