What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I might be right about the carb, or I'm getting a weird issue when warm. Tore the saw down to check the seals again and and made sure everything was right. Ran the saw, still the same issues but this time when I shut it off it was severely flooded. Almost an ounce of fuel came out the exhaust when I went to tear it back down. Ill have to rip the carb back apart...

Metering level might be a bit off.
Don't think that new rubber means that can't be the issue either... even OEM stuff isn’t always perfect & there are plenty of cheap knock off's being sold as OEM too.
The 385 I had that leaked into the oil tank only showed up when it was warm & I only found it by dunking the saw in hot water

I was going to check the metering lever and go over all the rubber bits. I’d hope they are all OEM as I got them from a Stihl dealer lol. This is why I have work saws and project saws :p

Just went through dads bought new in 1994 54cc poulan. Rode hard and put up wet from farm land use over the years.

I cleaned it and shelved it awhile back.

Last I went through it was in 2014 for him. Intake boot, lines, af, av's and bufflers.

Topend bare bore chromed piston still like new.

Still had my favorite plug in it. Bosch German made.

This time around all new lines with echo oem 3x5 and 3x6.

p3300ddddddd.jpgp3300dddddddddddd.jpgp3300dddddddddd.jpgp3300ddddddddd.jpgp3300dddddddd.jpgp3300dddddddddddddd.jpgp3300ddddddddddddd.jpgp3300dd.jpgp3300ddddddddddddddd.jpg

My 044 project has been giving me some issues. Saw seems to have an intermittent idle issue, as it its fine and then when I turn the saw on the side it will rise and then go back down after a bit. Pressure tested the carb and it was o.k. Pressure and vac on the crankcase was good, only lost 1 inHg over 30seconds. (Unless thats a fail but I see it as a pass). Carb suspect?? Not sure what to look at now other than clean the carb better.View attachment 1155932
There were (fuel puddleling ) issues with the older style intake boots.
a new style eliminates it and it most likely is your problem
it was mentioned in a ( technical service bulletin )

Next victim is an MS360 which looks like it was run hard and maintained little. I don't know how people get so much dirt on their saws; not sawdust with bar oil on it but dirt like is in your garden! This thing looks to have about a 2 1/2 foot bar and dull chain on it which is probably why the piston and cylinder are shot.

There were (fuel puddleling ) issues with the older style intake boots.
a new style eliminates it and it most likely is your problem
it was mentioned in a ( technical service bulletin )
Good to know, I'm appreciating all the help! I changed out the intake and also found that my welch plug was leaking in the carb (C3M Zama) so i gave it a tap and it held fine after that. Might have a very very slightly corroded valve seat in the carb but it only loses about 1 psi in 30 seconds so I'm hoping its alright. Re checked vac on crank case and its holding about 20inHg continuous. Fingers crossed its good.

Frank - Jonsereds 621 was the first new saw I ever bought (1981) and ran it hard as my primary firewood saw for 25+ years. I had a 16" bar with 8T sprocket, and 24" bar with 7T sprocket. I remember it being 56cc. Extremely well made and had features/concepts other copied for years.

I've been cleaning up the 26LCS preparing it for the display.

20240226_172715.jpg

20240226_172721.jpg

20240226_172725.jpg

20240226_172745.jpg

20240226_172757.jpg

Float style carburetor rotates to keep it horizontal when making a felling cut.

20240226_172818.jpg

Mark

Staying with saws now but on to a different brand, which is now dead in terms a company. But their products live on to cut. I’m fitting a 21 inch Oregon Armor (solid tip) bar on this Olympyk 480 Super. I’ll soon be getting into a lot of dirty wood that is on the ground so this bar should be more resistant to degradation. I’ll be looping 75DPX semi chisel chain on it.

Attachments

• IMG_7616.jpeg
    IMG_7616.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The mounting slot on that bar had to be widened just a wee bit for the studs. This set up worked well for that. The small machinists vice allowed me to center the cutter and slowly feed it straight thru the slot.

Attachments

• IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Had the misfortune of a customer crunching a MS400. Fuel tank, starter, clutch side crankcase. Parts saw now. He bought a new one. Those extensions under the carburetor actually cracked the case above the clutch near the chain brake spring rear mount. Little too much leverage in a crunch. Probably not best to crunch a saw in the first place.

Back