What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna 359 my tree service friend from the neighborhood brought me to look at. Did an ultrasonic carb clean before looking at anything else, then found it only had 80 psi was the problem. A look at the piston told me all I needed to know and pulled the jug. Initial thought was jug was too far gone to clean up, but am reluctant to buy a cheap Chinese cylinder and the Hyway kits are about 3 times the cost of the cheap crap kits, and the OEM about 6 times. Kinda depended whether he wanted to give me his dead 359 and some money for one of my nice running 455 Ranchers I want to get rid of, or he wanted me to fix it for him, cause I warned him he'd probably be in it for at least $200. No reply from him yet, so I had a second go with muriatic acid to clean the transfer and went at it with 600 grit. In the end I got it really nice below the exhaust port but for one tiny spot and a couple of scratches above the port. Not my ideal jug, but should work okay. Ordered a Meteor piston kit for it, so should be able to get it running decent for $40 in parts. If it's for him, he'll probably figure out how to fry it in short order again so no need to fix it up too nice, and if it's for me, I have a way lighter MS361 I rebuilt I'd use any day over it so I don't want to put much in it. I think it was probably an already abused pawn shop saw he picked up, but will check for seal leaks if I keep it for myself. Second pic is cleaned up cylinder. Don’t like that ugly big main scratch above the port but understand from seeing others with about the same scratch that people cleaned up, will just lose a little compression but should run fine.
I use 220 rather than 600 to remove transfer along with light application of the acid. 600 would take me days, lol.
If really bad I start with 120 and a light touch. Polish with green Scotch bright on a mandrel on the Fordum.

Id take the 359 over the 455 any day :p

I use 220 rather than 600 to remove transfer along with light application of the acid. 600 would take me days, lol.
If really bad I start with 120 and a light touch. Polish with green Scotch bright on a mandrel on the Fordum.

Id take the 359 over the 455 any day :p
Good call on the 220, I've seen that from other people. The acid has done the bulk of the work both times I've used it. No problem getting the transfer off the 359, just couldn't do anything about the one deep scratch. But runs quite good now. Definitely will take it over the 455. Just have to get the guy squared away on the 455 I'm selling him so I can get paid for it, gave him an uneven chain that was binding up on him so he wasn't able to test it much, plus I think it's tuned a little too rich so it's bogging a bit.

Of the four repairs dropped off Saturday evening, have them all diagnosed and one going again. Husky 460 just needed a new primer bulb borrowed off one my Ranchers, throttle linkage reconnected and a fuel hose end trimmed so it was tighter. Husky 435 needs a new starter pulley which will get here tomorrow. MS171 needs handle molding and throttle trigger assembly, and the HT131 pole saw needs a new 18" driveshaft section. As usual, my largest local Stihl dealer has nothing so ordering the parts from Baileys. I'd look around more for a Stihl dealer that maybe could get parts in a timely fashion, but the tree guy bringing me these saws assures me everyone he's been to around here takes weeks. Kinda surprised that the largest Stihl dealer in a major city where the largest pro tree service demand is for pole saws, would not have driveshafts in stock for every one of the HT131/33/35's. It's the most common thing to break, and those saws are the bread and butter of every tree trimming service. Got the Husky 435 done too. Just have to wait on the driveshaft for the pole saw from Baileys and the handle molding for the 171, and see if the guy still has some of his trigger assembly for the 171. Took back the 455 Rancher I was going to sell him because I fixed the 460, but got to keep the 359 he brought me that I rebuilt because it was more than he wanted to spend on it.

bought a 6" Kurt milling machine vise today from a Marketplace post. 100.00 for a vise that is north of 600.00 new. and the condition is awesome. while I was there, they had a few other things. this 010AV was 10 bucks. the tanks were dry and clean like it was put to bed a while back. fueled it and it fired and ran for a few seconds on about the 9th pull. fires easily but won't run, I'm sure it needs a carb kit at the least. the air filter was clean as well as the filter cover. don't know anything about these, I'm sure it has points by it's age.

4-3-24.jpgPXL_20240403_210520851.MP.jpgPXL_20240403_201543276.MP.jpg

Shindaiwa 577. Hasn't been run in decades. Dirty on the outside, near new on the inside. Fuel line was in great shape but had shrunk so leaked at the tank. Tried grommet and fuel line but need a slightly smaller grommet. Canibalized the oe breather and made a new one.
Got it running...sounds great! :D
1000003697.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003696.jpg
    1000003696.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000003698.jpg
    1000003698.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 0
Off the bench - HT131 pole saw (broken driveshaft and broken motor to shaft clamp), MS194T (carb cleaning and fuel filter), MS171 (handle moulding and trigger assembly). Made the mistake of reading similar but not same part #'s for 171 and thought trigger assembly was same as 170 but it's 1139 not 1130. Bought an $8 kit of wrong parts but was able to use spring from it at least. AM parts for the 170, only Stihl parts for the 171. Went down to the biggest Stihl dealer downtown and they happily had the two trigger parts I needed for $14 out the door. I'd stopped bothering checking with them because they never had the pole saw parts I needed in stock but seems like a good shop otherwise.

Gifted an MS251 because repair cost is more than its worth, but worth it for me to rebuild. Broken starter recoil and partially seized piston. MS251 is my first clamshell, my new least favorite design. Whole crankcase comes off with the jug, then you take it apart. Only non-running saw in the shop right now.

It is the only exception in the line that I know of and was a short production run. 240 was rare. 024S was also. The 024S is an 026 in terms of cc.

If that were the case- why call it an 024 Super and not just label it an 026?
It has the STROKE of the 026, BORE of the 024.

024= 42mm bore 30mm stroke and around 41.5cc
024S= 42mm 32mm 44.3cc
026= 44mm 32mm 48.7cc.

If that were the case- why call it an 024 Super and not just label it an 026?
It has the STROKE of the 026, BORE of the 024.

024= 42mm bore 30mm stroke and around 41.5cc
024S= 42mm 32mm 44.3cc
026= 44mm 32mm 48.7cc.
Guess S models I've seen were already updated and cooked again. Never seen a 42mm 024S myself.

Couldn't make a lot of sense on the 251 out of the extreme stickiness of the starter pull, put a rebuilt OEM starter recoil on it, and plug out it would pull easy and smooth but plug in and it would just stick in the pull awfully bad. Wire off so not premature ignition. More I looked at the piston through the exhaust, more it seemed like it didn't need a P&C. Took flywheel off and clutch off to make sure everything was okay. Clutch side was a mess, broken chain brake, didn't even HAVE a needle bearing, worm gear face slightly mangled. Still a sticky pull with everything removed. Spun it a lot with a drill on the flywheel nut with plug out and a bit with plug in, tapped on the cranks a bit, reassembled, and at some point in all that it loosened up a little and was able to pull start it okay with lots of compression. Finally got it started after flooding it, and once it got going it ran great. Ordered a needle bearing w cheap sprocket kit to convert from .325 to 3/8LP, and a new worm gear. Much cheaper repair than I expected. This guy who brings me saws to repair manages to break all his gear on a regular basis but doesn't actually burn up engines all that often. Just cakes them with oil and dirt and never cleans them and throws them around til something jams up and breaks. He'd already written this one off completely and just gave it to me.

Did top ends on three 024S all 44mm OEM cylinders but burnt years ago like decades.
Last one was a pile of homeowner half done with a Meteor kit to "fix" it. Never again.

The 44mm cylinders might have been OEM Stihl cylinders- but were not OEM 024 Super cylinders- they had already been dicked with by someone before you got them, so not true supers no more- but upgrades to 026 spec.
Or someone broke a top cover and was able to find one with an 024S tag to replace it on what was already an 026.

Latest posts

Back