What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1/4” setup. Smoother but cut time was a second slower. Not sure it’s worth the cost to run that chain size. At least on a ported saw

Brought a real interesting one home this time. It's a Whiz model 44N made by Root Manufacturing co. It's missing the clutch and drum but is otherwise complete and I also got it to fire. It wouldn't stay running though, carburetor is extremely goobered up. From what I've been able to figure out so far these were manufactured from the 50's to early 70's. Root made caps for armor piercing rounds during WWII and then afterwards made a variety of lawn and garden power equipment. Theres a few different models of these Whiz saws and most are rates at 77cc's but this one appears to be the smaller homeowner variant. Haven't been able to find out anything else about this thing, not sure what year it was made. Any of you folks know more about these things?
5b4e04c912816c26d90d7c94d1f8f95c.jpg
03e51ccddb6a8fe1e7b58208236beb03.jpg
ec89365b3adf66602ac39e6197c1a24e.jpg
5b409aff60bd038e5d88fea723b557fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

First porting attempts: Cheap China cylinder.
port 1.jpg port 2.jpg port 3.jpg
I know the ports look rough but the edges are smooth and straight, I dressed all the edges down using a pencil eraser or my finger and 2000 grit. Last pic is where I am still only using a dremel straight to do this and I know it would be about 1K times easier if I would just buy a angle head, there is a pic of what I used to do the upper transfers and it took over an hour having to do it the hard way.

Don't worry Yota, I had to hunt around for a while but I finally felt a set :D, I went back in and got 118 on the transfers. There was no way I would have gotten the intake if this cylinder would have been taken down to give me .020 squish, I would have had to modify the piston to have gotten all the numbers to come together. It's a learning cylinder so I can live with the .038 squish.

Those upper transfers where tiny compared to the mahle cylinder I have but they opened up nicely. I also put the rings on and put the cylinder on and found some drag on the upper part of the exhaust port so I had to go back in and put just a bit more bevel on it and it's working nice now.

Looks good. Next time try to make the floor of the intake flatter. Let more air in at once instead of gradually. Also when you do the oem cylinder or if that’s the next plan let me do the machine work. Then you can do the porting. You won’t have to enlarge the intake all that much. If we did a pop up that would require even less grinding than doing the squish band, but I couldn’t take as much off.

Also when you do the oem cylinder or if that’s the next plan let me do the machine work. Then you can do the porting. You won’t have to enlarge the intake all that much. If we did a pop up that would require even less grinding than doing the squish band, but I couldn’t take as much off.

No, I plan to just let you have all of the OEM work, the AM is for me to play. I figure about a month from now I should be sending it your way if everything stays on track.

Do the single cuts seem like they grab more to you? I'm trying to find 1/8 long shank burrs.

Do the single cuts seem like they grab more to you? I'm trying to find 1/8 long shank burrs.
I have yet to use single cut burrs. Bought them to try out. I’ll report back after I do. You won’t find long 1/8 burrs. Originally I thought I needed them too but it’s a non issue for me now.

I have yet to use single cut burrs. Bought them to try out. I’ll report back after I do. You won’t find long 1/8 burrs. Originally I thought I needed them too but it’s a non issue for me now.
With an angle head I could see not needing them.

What situation do you need it?
Where I don't have the angle head it allows me to reach all the way through the intake and exhaust ports without having to worry about the chuck hitting the work area.

Where I don't have the angle head it allows me to reach all the way through the intake and exhaust ports without having to worry about the chuck hitting the work area.

hmm the only time I use the right hand piece is when doing the upper transfers. Otherwise when widening port I lay the jug down and come in through the bottom. I also only stick the burr in enough to get a good clamp on it.

hmm the only time I use the right hand piece is when doing the upper transfers. Otherwise when widening port I lay the jug down and come in through the bottom. I also only stick the burr in enough to get a good clamp on it.
When looking at the burr set you have I believe the shafts are longer than the ones I have. I am going to order a set and see. If I could get some that are a 1/4" longer than the ones I have then it would make it easier on me.
burr.jpg

My dad came over for dinner today and dropped off some more 10-10 Mccullochs. One running Pro Mac 10-10s, and two Pro Mac 10-10's, both had electronic ignition. One of the Pro Macs has been a little cannibalized for some parts, but the other seems complete minus bar and chain. If it has spark i bet it will run.

Attachments

• 20191225_200754.jpg
    20191225_200754.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20191225_200743.jpg
    20191225_200743.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20191225_200739.jpg
    20191225_200739.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back