What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically a no impulse on a 350/346 and the like is the impulse nipple on the intake boot and or the partition has gotten hot and melted shut. Causes a lean condition and smokes the top end. Every 1 that I rebuilt last year was melted shut to some degree....

Attachments

• melted impulse.jpg
    melted impulse.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 0
Fired up the XL (again) cut the bush down that was in my yard and the only thing I noticed was it ran rather fat and I didn't have a screwdriver with me. I adjusted it about 1/4 turn after I got back to the garage; buzzing noise was still there, sounded like it was coming from the flywheel side as if it might be rubbing against the side cover. I'll look again when I get time. I'll also have to find something to cut to see if it still runs a little fat. Hard to tell just by revving it..

Given a Poulan 3314. Will this run without purge bulb? Muffler loaded up with fuel. Cleaned carb, 125lbs compression.Purge bulb red rubber piece is floating around.Anyone know adjustment screws where to start? This thing is new looking, just doesn't run (yet).

Given a Poulan 3314. Will this run without purge bulb? Muffler loaded up with fuel. Cleaned carb, 125lbs compression.Purge bulb red rubber piece is floating around.Anyone know adjustment screws where to start? This thing is new looking, just doesn't run (yet).
Will run without purge if you plug both lines.
Won't run well if that 125PSI is accurate... I'd be pulling the muffler & checking out the piston before putting any more time into it

Piston looks great, this thing was barely run.Bought a new carb gasket and purge bulb,and peeked in the carb again.The Thing runs.think I was 2 1/2 or 3 turns out on the high screw. Finicky little adjustment on this saw.Actually surprised how strong it is.Don't think its even broken-in yet from the cosmetics of it. 2014 model.

Well, I had the white top from my all original 1985 61 on her, but I didn’t wanna keep it on the this saw, so I did a thing, and chopped up the 266 orange top that came on this 61 so it fit the 272 top end I put on it
It don’t look horrible I suppose hahah, the top cover was cracked anyway so that’s why it didn’t bother me to chop it up, I’ll find a proper one somewhere but it’ll do for now 🤷🏻‍♂️51941DF0-066B-4199-8C96-8F59AA6AFEB0.jpeg787EDBE8-BEB8-48FC-8788-AB6FBC7BF09C.jpeg

Jred 630 resurrection. Got the full spa treatment. New crank seals, o-rings, x-ring, fuel hose, fuel filter, carb kit, OEM single ring piston, and other miscellaneous bits. Original piston gave up the ghost, not a scratch on the cylinder thankfully. Turned out pretty good in the end.
IMG_0239.jpegIMG_0240.jpegIMG_0241.jpegIMG_0238.jpeg

Did some un-painting on the SW-51 crankcase today. I remembered I had these 1/8" shank puffy sanding disk jobbies. Worked like a charm for most of the removal. Got a bag with various grits. I will try to link where I got them as they are perfect for this task.

https://www.amazon.com/Abrasive-Buffing-Polishing-Compound-Tools-1/dp/B09QS7497K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=BFJRQY4LIWDW&keywords=1/8+shank+buffing&qid=1687136065&sprefix=1/8+shank+buffing,aps,128&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

View attachment 1091298 View attachment 1091299 View attachment 1091300
Love those little things! Used a couple today cleaning 031 parts 😁

First on the bench today was a Stihl 028, piston is badly scored and the top fins on the cylinder are broken off where the top cover attaches so I've ordered a Hiway kit for it. This saw will see very little use so the Hiway should be fine.

Next up was this 562XP that was a victim of a vehicle crash resulting in the rear handle getting destroyed.

20230703_130851.jpg

I was able to buy a NOS handle/tank assembly off eBay so it should like again.

Last project underway for the day was a thorough cleaning of this Homelite 360 in preparation for adding it to the museum display.

20230703_152956.jpg

As per usual, the flange on the intake manifold is chipped but I happened to have a spare manifold and gasket on hand.

20230703_172634.jpg

20230703_172630.jpg

Mark

So... let's up the ante as they say....

What's on the side of your bench???? THAT portable bench you ask? Why it is an air cooled 4 stroke Honda outboard motor for a friends kayak!

Complaint was not idling well and had low power. When the owner tilted the unit up while running to cross over log jams or rocks and such in the river, she would die. Never did that since he bought it new.

Fuel flow from tank was perfect, he is using canned/engineered 4 stroke fuel. Spark plug was a bit black from the owner try to run the choke to keep it going. Rich mixture. Tore carb off and apart only to find it was almost spotless... Some minor brown crusties just starting to form on the brass parts and a chunk of what I thought was a green gasket piece.

Looking closer revealed that chunk was a little green bug with 2 black eyes looking at me! Now, how it got between the main jet and emulsion tube is beyond me!

Anyways, fixed. She starts and runs like a Honda should with plenty of power and will idle for weeks

1688693790707.png 1688693963111.png 1688693997496.png 1688694021554.png

Sure is! I remember when he talked about buying it last summer. Can't have but a few tanks of fuel through it. The air filter is poor at best but you don't get much dust or particulate out on the water! The air filter consist of large diamond stainless mesh. As in 3/16" hole gaps.

Little green bugger made it past the mesh alive, somehow got in the bowl and died from fuel and then past the main jet just to rest at the inlet of the emulsion tube.... what a strange trip!

On my bench unfortunately is a Stihl MS251 which has had a bunch of work done to it (by someone else) and we can't figure out why it won't run right. I tried to start it and it wouldn't do anything. I didn't check to see if it had any fuel in it. I'll do that next. I did take the muffler off and saw very minor scarring, maybe two or three small scratches and no stuck rings. It's supposedly had the carb rebuilt, new fuel filter, new spark plug and coil so it looks like my work is cut out for me... As usual, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Went out to the garage a minute ago to check the MS251 for fuel and compression. It had about a half tank or more of fuel. I couldn't check the compression with my gauge because the 251 has the small spark plugs and I didn't have an adapter for the threads. I checked for spark and it did have some so I put a small amount of fuel down in the sparkplug hole and tried to start it and it wouldn't start that way either. I'm guessing now that the flywheel key is sheared, leaving it out of time or the coil is bad, sparking at the wrong time. I'll check the flywheel tomorrow, might check the part numbers also to make sure the right parts are used..
I guess it's possible the fuel is bad also..

Back