What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ported 70 or 90 usually with a 50 cc thrown in occasionally.

Yes, dumba$$ question!.......some work, yet some work to play. When playing, I prefer to work with the best!.........Hahahahahaha!

100MEDIAIMAG02532_zps6f6479f5.jpg

If you rub a little wd-40 on that bar it will keep all those rivets from rusting. :dizzy:

Ok....so far most of the guys want a saw that starts easily, idles without loading up.....and in Scott's case is light.

I use a bunch of different saws.....most of the time they are one's I've just built and need to put some fuel through them for testing. Yesterday I dropped a 36" oak and bucked it up with a modded 385XP......really strong but damn that's a loud saw to be using for hours on end. I'm thinking of ways the mod a muffler that keep it quite but let it breathe.

animal%20ear%20muffs%20web.jpg

My first grab saw is the 346xp OE as weight is typically a concern, most of my sawing is trail work and clean up.

The cause of this thread makes me smile.

i think this question is not gonna get answered correctly ,the guys that use their saws are at work using them ............

I can get a lot of work done with a solid 50cc saw running 16" 3/8". 346xpNE, 5100s are the usual suspects. They don't tire me out and are productive enough, and they are the saws I go to for most firewood and felling of normal-sized trees. Mufflers are opened a touch, but saws aren't ported. Not loud, not finicky, run and stop and start when you ask 'em to.

Smaller stuff and pruning, 238se/13" is the best setup I've run, so I'm always on the lookout for more 238/242, and I'm really hoping for the 543xp to show up over here soon, especially if they'll offer an xpg version.

Bigger stuff, my early red-top 7900/28" feels best to me. Anything that needs a saw bigger than that I don't care to cut anymore, it's more work than it's worth to me.

372xp with a 24" bar, its my only saw but i dont feel a need for another. It does everything i ask, from big to small. It does get a little heavy at the end of a day but its not too bad. Looking into getting a small top handle for the small stuff and a atv trail clearing saw at some point.

One that starts on the first or second pull runs at all angles and idel after its ran hard and someone else is running it while I'm out digging One that is called upon in a moment notice

Latest posts

Back