What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044 and a 372XP. Hands down the two best saws I've had the pleasure of running and owning. To be honest, I could care less for power to weight ratio. I own plenty of RW and LW bars. If I'm climbing I'll slap a 24" B&C, no need lugging a 32" up the tree. Ripping rounds, a 28" works really good. Cutting, when I get to, both preform really well with 32" full comps. Yes I run an 8 pin, it works for me. Both have enough power to pull a 36" if I need too. Not all day, that would be brutal. And before someone starts nay saying about all the soft wood our here. Just remember, even the rainy/moldy states have hard wood. I burn madrone and oak to keep the house warm. And I've cut a lot of it in my life time.

I've got far too many saws to ever play by the rules of these "pick one saw" threads, so I'll continue the tradition and pick a few.

Fabulous 50's: I've got a 2150 with a 346NE top end that has been my "go to" small saw over the last couple years. Stock other than muff mod, and a real strong runner. Already a bit scuffed up, so I work the heck out of it without fussing over it. Then.........I got my first 550XP, and geez it's just about the perfect 50cc class saw. Power yes, but spectacular handling and smoothness. Fits like a glove.

Tweener: 254XP with just a muff mod. Ugly beat up saw that I brought back from the dead. Loves to work, and makes me wonder why there are 60cc saws.

60's: Well, since they make 'em........630 Super is a long time favorite. Unless you were in big wood it was hard to tell it wasn't a 70cc saw. Ideal balance with an 18" Windsor on it. Then.............I got into the 562 thing. Unreal smoothness, and plenty of power. Honestly, if I had to pick one saw, this would probably be it in the sense that it would split the 50cc/70cc power and weight thing better than anything else. I could work longer with it and be less likely to wish for something smaller OR larger than when running any other 60cc saw.

That 70's thing: I don't have to think to long on this one; 372 all the way, and I don't need to elaborate on what it can do. Going beyond my personal opinion, it's been my best seller for about 10 years, and it's continued endorsement by my pro customers speaks volumes. I also have a 670 Champ that I never seem to rotate out of the "on duty" fleet. It usually tags along as a backup, and always get a little trigger time.

80cc: I've always been smitten with my 930Super. Guys run it at GTGs and ask, "Is this thing really stock?". 288XP's have more durability to go with their power than most saws out there. They take lot's of abuse.

Ported: A 390XP from Randy that has "HOLY ****" power. Amazing how that thing holds RPMs in the cut. When people cut with it, I watch their faces and the eye brows go up followed by a big grin. The 562 that Terry did is the most popular saw at any GTG I take it to. Guys just don't want to set it down. I never even get it back until it runs out of gas. It's a saw I grab myself when I need to actually get some work done quick vs. "playing with my toys".

Vintage: 49SP and 70E. The "pure" Jonny's were ahead of their time when they were on the market. A little heavy perhaps, but you never feel that your running an older saw.

See..........told ya I couldn't pick just one saw. :tongue2:

Too hard to answer, cutting needs vary too much, I cut one onch to over 40 inches so far around here.

Twist my arm and insist on one saw..ehh, cant do it. Well, its hard, here ya go.

New school, one saw plan husky 365sp or echo cs600p, neither is ported, like to try both ported for final decision, for old school, my whammin jammin poulan 245A!!!!! I got bigger, I got smaller, but in the middle, there ya go.

Every time I run that 245 I want to buy some husky stock so I can go to the shareholders meetings, carry that sucker in, fire it up, cut a table in half and yell out WTF DID YOU ****S DO TO POULAN!!!

And if I owned like a 8500 I just might do it!

err..well...

Or one saw plan on the cheap, no huge wood, just firewooding and thining/clearing, poulan s25cva. I have a lot of small saws and that one kiks all their butt.

Work saw

We use MS460Rs for work saws almost exclusivly. A work saw that preforms as they should shows on the bottom line as profit. The 460s have been more profitable for us than any other saw on the market.

I mostly use a saw to cut saplings which are too stout for my electric weed eater. The 090 (A-V is for ####ies) with full comp .404 on the 60" bar with the 11 pin rim allows me to cut several at once

Last edited:
Yes, dumba$$ question!.......some work, yet some work to play. When playing, I prefer to work with the best!.........Hahahahahaha!

100MEDIAIMAG02532_zps6f6479f5.jpg

Tighten your chain Dennis! I should save this pic and show Harbor Saw what kind crap their name is on! :msp_biggrin:

Maybe they'll give me a good deal on some 288 parts I need for not showin it around :msp_rolleyes:

Seriously sick saw mang. Another one of TJ's?

I had a modded muffler on my 385 and absolutely hated it. It would make your ears ring through the best ear plugs. You could hear that saw on other side of the valley, 7-8 miles away. You could feel the sound waves reflecting back off the log you were bucking and hitting you in the chest.

Everybody hates being around my 385 except me

My go to saw is my 576at. It's stock, but it starts easy, runs great, doesn't always need refueling, cuts like a demon on the dry Aussie hardwood I get into that's usually a good size.... And AT keeps it from stalling or being fickle after a fair bit of work.

The chimp hacked 261 is fun, louder and great to noodle with but isn't my go to saw.

The 340 is just ignored, too slow in the cut and usually I have minimal limbing to do.

Yes, dumba$$ question!.......some work, yet some work to play. When playing, I prefer to work with the best!.........
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/500honda/100MEDIAIMAG02532_zps6f6479f5.jpg]

A Harbour freight import? :msp_w00t: :tongue2: does it go for long?

A muff modded 346 seems to be about the perfect saw for a firewood hack like me. Starts easy, lightweight and is super smooth to run.

If I get in to anything bigger, then it's the mooberized 372.......which also starts easy, is lightweight, smooth and runs like a mean mofo.

These saws are also easy to maintain and parts are available online.

I think a 372 would take care of most of a persons needs around this area for firewood, honestly a 550 probably would on most occasions. Its just nice to have more than enough saw for your needs rather than fighting all day with a saw that cant pull its own weight.

......really strong but damn that's a loud saw to be using for hours on end. I'm thinking of ways the mod a muffler that keep it quite but let it breathe.

OK, don't laugh.......would there be a material you could pack and empty housing with, or run a second open chamber? Us Dirt bike and ATV enthusiasts have been fighting noise for years, to keep tracks and trails open. Often resorting to simple things like a short peice of bicycle innertube on the tailpipe. H#!! I have observed some interesting contraptions trying to quiet the generators in the campgrounds. It is tough to have performance and quiet....

My buddy has put 90 degree elbows on the end of utility mufflers packed loosley with steel scouring pads (not steel wool) or steel shavings to quiet them for hunting. As well, we have run a second silencer using a flow through tractor muffler. Obviously not comparing apples to apples. I'm just drinkin coffee and thinkin out loud.....:dunno:

Tighten your chain Dennis! I should save this pic and show Harbor Saw what kind crap their name is on! :msp_biggrin:

Maybe they'll give me a good deal on some 288 parts I need for not showin it around :msp_rolleyes:

Seriously sick saw mang. Another one of TJ's?

I saw that and thought it was a Harbor Freight saw..........

Latest posts

Back