What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
I did hours of reading last summer and came away thinking the eb802rt is what I would get......

But I have not gotten one yet. Pretty sure that is the one I would still get though.

Waylan

Can you please expound on how/why you came to that decision? I'm rulling out the 8520 and 600 simply because I want a simple 2-stroke. I don't mind a strato though. That leaves me with the 802, 8050, and 770.

I'm pretty sure the echo 770 has a cat. The redmax is strato. I was looking into one myself last year. My friend has a 600 new 3 years ago, no problems yet. The echo is supposed to be a better blower, but not crazy about the cat.

I have one of the first BR600s when they came out and it has been flawless and has great power. If I were to buy another blower it would be a BR420 Magnum though. It is a simple 2 stroke and has excellent power. I would not think of anything other than Stihl myself with what they have to offer.

Mac

Can you please expound on how/why you came to that decision? I'm rulling out the 8520 and 600 simply because I want a simple 2-stroke. I don't mind a strato though. That leaves me with the 802, 8050, and 770.

I think for the same reasons you are considering one as well.

For one less moving parts.....the 600 does have a scheduled maintenance from what I read......valves to adjust, head to decarbon, etc. Plus the problems the 600 had when it was introduced.

Second, it appeared as though both had near the same power and near the same weight......I don't know that I could detect the weight difference. Shindaiwa has always gotten a reputation for being bulletproof, but at the expense of added weight. But this one is competitive with weight even with a higher displacement.

Third, I kept reading about how the stihl would run out of gas with fuel left in the tank. Whether this is true or not I don't know.....just read about it a few times.

Plus, 4 strokes is 2 too many!

Just my thoughts/opinion.

Let us know what you end up with...............

Waylan

Thanks for chiming in Steve. I was actually going to call you tomorrow and ask you that very question. BTW, have you run the Shiny 802? It seems to always get great reviews as well.

Haven't run the 802.

The Echo / Shindaiwa demo trailer was here last fall and we had a ton of leaves on the ground. I asked them to let me run the biggest blowers they had and thats what they gave me.

Echo & Shindaiwa want us as a dealer but I don't need any more product lines.

Steve

The more I read, the more positives I read on the Shiny 802. It's in it's thrid year of production and is said to be bullet proof. I also understand the they're undertuned from the factory, and have a restrictive muffler that's easily modded, that gets it closer to is peak performance RPMs.

The Redmax 8001 was reguarded by many as the best. Many are trying to say that the 8050 has all these restrictive EPA changes, and that's simply not true. All I can figure is that they're conpairing well worn in 8001s to unbroken in 8050s. The blowers are the same.

The Echo 770 has great specs, but many say they are exaggerated and are no stronger than the competition.

I'm heavily leaning at this point towards the 8050 or 802. I can buy the 802 at my Stihl dealer, but have no where to look at the 8050. Not a big deal, but would like to check one out first.

Four brand new EBZ8050's idling.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3S5AeR_fLVk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xlmm9E2Pm4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's that green stuff?

Not a back pack but I have had an Echo blower for 14 years and I bought it used. Never a lick of trouble and it mostly gets the gas i dump out of my saws.

What's that green stuff?

Not a back pack but I have had an Echo blower for 14 years and I bought it used. Never a lick of trouble and it mostly gets the gas i dump out of my saws.

LOL. I have a little handheld Echo blower that I bought in 98 that runs like a top, never an issue.

Steve the idling blowers sound sweeeeet!

4 mix is a thing of beauty. I don't care if it was to make epa happy or not, it works very well. The thing with valves is that they give you torque in spades at lower rpms than 2 strokes. I'd pick the 600 because it is a 4 mix. Less vibes, less noise, less fumes. Adjusting valves is a walk in the park and if you run ultra there ain't no carbon issues.

Back