What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
Do you really think you need the power (and weight) of the redmax 8050 or wahtever they're calling it now? I have the 7001 and it's a bit lighter and less bulky than the 8000. Most of the pro landscapers in my area run the 7001 even for cleanups, they've proven themselves to be more durable and reliable than the 8000s, at least from what I've heard.

The redmax is really nice to work with:

YouTube - ‪Redmax EBZ 7001 Moving heavy leaves‬‏

I wouldn't go echo; I haven't seen a pro running one in years. My university uses them (751s) and they look beat and sound pretty tired even though they're new, get good mix and don't get used much.

Do you really think you need the power (and weight) of the redmax 8050 or wahtever they're calling it now?
Absolutely not:) A few days ago I ran a friends BR600 and fell in love with the CFMs. That's what started me thinking. I can put it to good use, but I certainly don't need it. I only own one acre and mulch all my leaves. I suppose I could help the neighbors clean up theirs now:clap:

Video on the way.

Last edited:
Absolutely not:) A few days agi I ran a friends BR600 and fell in love with the CFMs. That's what started me thinking. I can put it to good use, but I certainly don't need it. I only own one acre and mulch all my leaves. I suppose I could help the neighbors clean up theirs now:clap:

Video on the way.

I ran a BR 600 for a while against the 7001. It has more CFMs but to me they really only have value in wide area sweeping, and if you're mulching, I dont know how much of that you're going to do. I wouldn't trade the 7001 for an 8001 if prices were equal, the 7001 is a beast as it is.

Have you given thought to tube vs hip throttle? Sorry if this was already mentioned.

I bought the Shindaiwa EB802. Here's my final purchasing logic.

The Redmax 8050 is getting mixed reviews, saying it's not as strong as it's predecessor, the 8001. This is coming from guys that bought both models at the same time, so was not a break-in issue. I can't explain it, but there are a lot of reports suggesting it's not as strong. It might be as simple as a muffler change, but I don't know. They're also said to be cold-blooded.

The Echo is new and getting mixed to reviews. Some say it's stronger, some say it's no stronger than the BR600. I also didn't feel it's build quality was up with that of the Shindaiwa.

The Shindaiwa EB802 is in it's 3rd year of productions and I don't think I read one bad review about it. It's a bullet proof model. It's specs are higher than that of the BR600, and it's a simple engine. It also has the largest engine at 79cc. Is that needed? Maybe not, but it sure doesn't hurt. I also felt the build quality was superior to that of the Echo. And finally, my dealer gave me a great cash deal on it, about $40 less than I could get the Redmax for. Not a deal maker, but nice none the less.

Brand new out of the box, it popped on the 3rd pull, and started on the next. It wasn't cold blooded in the least. Throttle response is great, even on a brand new engine.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8uwSWWemAI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Never used a shindaiwa blower, But I cant say nothing bad about there weedeaters. I've got 2 that has been beat,and I mean beat, that just keeps going. Fires on second pull every time, guaranteed. But thats another story.

I think Im going to get a backpack this year as well,,, or cut down a few trees. I havent looked at none of them yet,,,,sounds like you did my homework for me LOL. Give us a review after you get some use on it...If you dont care. :)

BTW, I found a Kawasaki KRB750B I could probably pick up for $200. It only has 10-12 hours on it and is very nice. I'm tempted to pick it up just for a comparison. I'm sure I'd have no trouble selling it to a landscaper.

So the next question is, When ya gonna port it?:hmm3grin2orange: Lets see how far it will blow a brick before and after.lol

I bought the Shindaiwa EB802. Here's my final purchasing logic.

The Redmax 8050 is getting mixed reviews, saying it's not as strong as it's predecessor, the 8001. This is coming from guys that bought both models at the same time, so was not a break-in issue. I can't explain it, but there are a lot of reports suggesting it's not as strong. It might be as simple as a muffler change, but I don't know. They're also said to be cold-blooded.

The Echo is new and getting mixed to reviews. Some say it's stronger, some say it's no stronger than the BR600. I also didn't feel it's build quality was up with that of the Shindaiwa.

The Shindaiwa EB802 is in it's 3rd year of productions and I don't think I read one bad review about it. It's a bullet proof model. It's specs are higher than that of the BR600, and it's a simple engine. It also has the largest engine at 79cc. Is that needed? Maybe not, but it sure doesn't hurt. I also felt the build quality was superior to that of the Echo. And finally, my dealer gave me a great cash deal on it, about $40 less than I could get the Redmax for. Not a deal maker, but nice none the less.

Brand new out of the box, it popped on the 3rd pull, and started on the next. It wasn't cold blooded in the least. Throttle response is great, even on a brand new engine.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u8uwSWWemAI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The overall construction of that blower is the same as mine, and as you said they're very well built. From the look of it I think it will out blow my 8510, not that it matters lol. I think you did well with this one.:clap:

Does a rotary carb automatically compensate for the RPM increase? The carb has no adjustments.

I have no idea Brad. The older weedwacker I have has adjustment screws, but the newer one dont. Im not sure how all that works to be honest with ya.

Does a rotary carb automatically compensate for the RPM increase? The carb has no adjustments.

It has a fixed hi speed jet, the low speed jet is adjustable. Notice the round hole on top of the air filter cover. The adjustment is located in a recessed area of the carburetor barrel, accessible through that hole. It is a miniature D type.

It has a fixed hi speed jet, the low speed jet is adjustable. Notice the round hole on top of the air filter cover. The adjustment is located in a recessed area of the carburetor barrel, accessible through that hole. It is a miniature D type.

Thanks Kyle. I've heard that there is an adjustable carb for it, but don't have the PN yet.

Thanks Kyle. I've heard that there is an adjustable carb for it, but don't have the PN yet.

Since a blower is loaded at rpm as a saw is in the cut, how do you know what rpm to set it at on an adjustable carb?

Also, you going to post up the part number of the adjustable carb? Thanks.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back