What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
Mr. Snelling. I'm looking at the Shindaiwa EB802RT. Did you install a Walbro WYK-33-1 carburetor to get a fully adjustable carburetor? I definitely want the ability to adjust both high and low sides on the carburetor if I decide to pull the trigger on this unit. Thanks again for this detailed write up.

So I am looking over the part numbers for the EBZ7500 and EBZ8500. I am not doing an exhaustive search but just checking points of interest on Partstree dot com. No plug intended, I am just doing research. The tubes are the same between the two blowers, as is the fan, crankcase and crankshaft. Shoot, the muffler is supposed to be the same too! But the end nozzle is different. The case around the fan is different on the 7500 and 8500. The Piston and cylinder are different. Carburetors are different. That really makes me wonder what is so different about the EBZ7500 that is supposed to give it that 30mph difference over the EBZ8500.

So I am looking over the part numbers for the EBZ7500 and EBZ8500. I am not doing an exhaustive search but just checking points of interest on Partstree dot com. No plug intended, I am just doing research. The tubes are the same between the two blowers, as is the fan, crankcase and crankshaft. Shoot, the muffler is supposed to be the same too! But the end nozzle is different. The case around the fan is different on the 7500 and 8500. The Piston and cylinder are different. Carburetors are different. That really makes me wonder what is so different about the EBZ7500 that is supposed to give it that 30mph difference over the EBZ8500.

I have looked over the parts diagrams like you, trying to see what is actually different. It looks like the different blower housing is what makes the difference. One housing is geared towards more cfm and the other is geared to more mph.

I was wondering what would happen if you put the blower housing from a 570 onto a 580? Would it be the best of both worlds since the 580 has a slightly bigger motor... maybe...???? Only one was to find out lol

Mr. Snelling. I'm looking at the Shindaiwa EB802RT. Did you install a Walbro WYK-33-1 carburetor to get a fully adjustable carburetor? I definitely want the ability to adjust both high and low sides on the carburetor if I decide to pull the trigger on this unit. Thanks again for this detailed write up.
I'm sorry, but I do not remember the model of the carb. You might find it in the thread I did on that blower.

I have looked over the parts diagrams like you, trying to see what is actually different. It looks like the different blower housing is what makes the difference. One housing is geared towards more cfm and the other is geared to more mph.

I was wondering what would happen if you put the blower housing from a 570 onto a 580? Would it be the best of both worlds since the 580 has a slightly bigger motor... maybe...???? Only one was to find out lol
Piston and cylinder might have a differance too.

The 570/7500 piston is noticeably smaller than the 580/8500 piston, therefore the different specs. I believe the 570 is 66cc while the 580 is 72cc.

Joe

Quick update:
I normally do city lots, but have that one large oak-surrounded property detailed in this thread. For city lots, the little Stihl is plenty. Here's the breakdown of the large property with a helper:

Stihl combi w/largest motor & blower: 1.5 days
Stihl + Redmax 8500 w/7500 nozzle (for more power): 4.5 hours
Stihl + 8500 w/1 extension tube and scraper nozle: 1.75 hrs

The helper uses the Still to gather as much as possible, the 8500 is used once the Stihl runs out of lift, so "the hard part."

City lots go about twice as fast. That's double the jobs per day...

That last setup is a killer on the arms, but time is money. Highly recommended.

Does the 7500 nozzle make the 8500 perform better? Ive red some posts where others say they dont notice a difference with the 7500 tip.

I dont like the flared out tip on the 580/8500. It seemed not be as controlled causing debris to come back towards the operator which means u have to take a few steps back to get the scattered debris.

What does the extra tube do for the scraper nozzle? Get the air flow lower to the ground to get under stuff?

Yea im sure they are different.

Max power rpm is 7200rpm for the 580 and 8100rpm for the 570. Yet they both use the same coil.

I would like to have a look inside a 8500 muffler. The 150BT I have had a kind of restrictive muffler, I bet it picked up some revs as I "cleaned" the muffler. I don't understand much about ports, timing and that kind of stuff. We do know that the 7500 and 8500 share a crankcase, and crank. At least according to the IPL I looked at. I assume that means the same stroke length. You say the same coil so there must be something in the porting and timing that controls this. Maybe there is room for porting?.......

Does the 7500 nozzle make the 8500 perform better? Ive red some posts where others say they dont notice a difference with the 7500 tip.

I dont like the flared out tip on the 580/8500. It seemed not be as controlled causing debris to come back towards the operator which means u have to take a few steps back to get the scattered debris.

What does the extra tube do for the scraper nozzle? Get the air flow lower to the ground to get under stuff?

When I was at the Redmax dealer, the tip for the 7500 was different from anything I have ever seen. It looks like it was designed to impart a deflection to the air. IDK.

EBZ7500 vs 8500 vs Stihl BR600 Magnum
HP: 4 / 4.5 (+10%) / 3.8
CFM: 750 / 900 / 712
MPH: 235 / 205 / 200

The 8500 nozzle has a flair at the end to create a wide blast and move a large amount of dry leaves and grass. The 8500 nozzle therefore sucks air from around the outside of the nozzle and adds it to the air inside the tube to create an even larger blast of air. I'd guess the 8500's blast has slightly more effective speed than the Stihl backpack, but with a lot more volume. The effective speed should be about the same as out of a 7500, but with more volume.

I say "effective speed" because the speed is measured in the end of the tube as a industry "standard" (because that's where the highest reading is, and that makes for better marketing literature), but what reaches the target is what we're really interested in. Real-world testing shows up a lot different than "in the tube."

The 7500 nozzle doesn't have the flair at the end (which the 8500 does), just a cone where the output is a bit "tighter." The 7500 nozzle therefore sucks air from around the outside of the nozzle and adds to a straight jet of air that is a bit stronger/faster for more distance at a slight cost in air volume. The end result of putting the 7500 nozzle on the 8500 is more "lift" and "throw" on wet debris, but has more of a tunnel effect than the wide wall from the 8500 nozzle.

The scraper head is like a Dyson hand dryer, a "knife edge" of air. Turn it sideways and it blows the nozzle to the left (or right), but it's really effective at ripping wet oak leaves out of long grass. Turn it flat and it has more lift, but "scrapes" far less area at a time and takes longer. This is where the 8500 shines, it puts the power down and pulls the leaves up. It's as much backpack as a person can reasonably manage, in my opinion.

The extra tube is used as an "extension" to get the nozzle closer to the ground (I'm 6'2"), and is much harder on the arm. I use my left hand under the tube to help guide it and take strain off the control handle. This plus the scraper peels the leaves out of the grass (and acorns, branches, shingles, candy wrappers, dog chocolate, etc.) for a clean, "fresh" looking lawn that outshines the neighbors service (huge selling point) at half the cost in time or less (about twice the income, plus the bump for "the best lawn guy ever!"). Find an opening in the brush and it'll jet them through. The trick is to have the helper do the fast stuff with a smaller blower, then use the 8500 to jet the mess into a huge row. Use the scraper turned flat to start 8" in from the closest edge of the pile at one side and kind of undercut the pile, meaning if you start on the left side the pile will want to blow further left because the leaves on the right act as kind of a wall. When you get to the far right, back up, and hit the 8" left over, and "scraping" the lawn clean at the same time.

I keep working that way until there are so many leaves I have to form a "U" shape to keep the debris in a more narrow path toward "the goal." Then I'll wind up with an outer protective U and an inner, huge U. I'll cut the inner U back and forth 3 or 4 times to get the huge pile moved, then attack the outer U, moving the "protective barrier" forward. Toward the end the helper and I form a "V" and keep the blow-back to a minimum. The 8500 will generally "lift and throw" while the smaller has a supporting stream to act as a barrier and keep the blow-back down. If that's not working the 8500 with one of the nozzles will work to form a huge air wall.

This is a lot of coordination and a hell of a lot of work and constant thinking, evaluating, and predicting. Because of the wind there's pre-planning and a game plan. However, the day goes extremely fast, there's no time to be bored, and we clear twice as many jobs in the same amount of time (travel and unload time doesn't get any faster, but the jobs go at least twice as fast). At the end of the day we're darn sore, there's no getting around that. Fuel consumption is down over-all, because of the time savings, but the gallons per hour is way up, so bring extra tanks and use two (or four) pumps at the station early in the morning.

This is not the luxury BR600. This is men's work, in a truck, not a latte-sipping electric car surf-my-important-facebook-profiles and tweet my sweater color at the coffee shop pillow-fluff day. They don't even have homes, they rent a box with 400 other rodents. This is not "hipster," this is trees and nature, oil-and-gas mix, the smell of sweat, leaves, and rugged.

When it's about doing an excellent job "putting brown down" and "green in the jeans," this setup works.

This is not the luxury BR600. This is men's work, in a truck, not a latte-sipping electric car surf-my-important-facebook-profiles and tweet my sweater color at the coffee shop pillow-fluff day. They don't even have homes, they rent a box with 400 other rodents. This is not "hipster," this is trees and nature, oil-and-gas mix, the smell of sweat, leaves, and rugged.
I think you forgot to grunt after the rant. Ol' Tim Taylor style :D

Anyone have recommendations on the best handheld blowers?
I have a Stihl BG55, rated for occasional use but during the mowing season mine gets used on 12 lawns a week. Bounces in the trailer and has never missed a beat. I don't use it much this time of year because I have the 420 Stihl and 580 husky but it moves light leaves, lawn clippings no problem. I've had mine for 5 years and have had 0 problems, also great size to dry off the vehicles after a wash

I have a Stihl BG55, rated for occasional use but during the mowing season mine gets used on 12 lawns a week. Bounces in the trailer and has never missed a beat. I don't use it much this time of year because I have the 420 Stihl and 580 husky but it moves light leaves, lawn clippings no problem. I've had mine for 5 years and have had 0 problems, also great size to dry off the vehicles after a wash
I just fixed a Stihl BG55 today and it was pretty impressive and had good build quality also. Ive been liking Echo trimmers from working on them and the build quality also

Anyone have recommendations on the best handheld blowers?

I like my Husky 125B but it can be uncomfortable at first without gloves. Husky put a seam right in the middle of the handle. I used to really bother me but I haven't noticed it in a long time. Nice n powerful with a muff mod.
Yea im sure they are different.

Max power rpm is 7200rpm for the 580 and 8100rpm for the 570. Yet they both use the same coil.

Can I ask where you found those numbers? I don't see the same numbers in the manual.

Muffler part numbers are different too.

Huh, parts tree list them as having the same muffler but Redmax's IPL says they are different.

Those numbers came right off of Husqvarna's website. Also they are in the manual as well. Page 25 Technical data, 3rd row down.

I looked at the p/n for both husky and redmax. Shows thats the numbers are different for the 570 and 580 mufflers. The odd part is that the 570 muffler is not available? Then you go to the redmax page, the 7500 and 8500 share the same muffler. Weird?

I have the following:
Stihl BG 85 handheld
Redmax 7500
Little wonder Optimax 8hp briggs.

As far as handhelds go the BG 85 is great. Got it for $80 in like new shape. needed a carb two years ago. $30 carb makes more sense to replace rather than fix.

Redmax 7500 is the best backpack I have ever used. reasonably light, and tons of power. Great ground scour as has been mentioned. I only see redmax blowers where I'm at, except for an occasional echo but RM really runs the commercial market. The machines take a beating and keep going and going and going. The only thing I've had to do is replace the fuel grommet in the tank due to ethanol.

When you have lots of leaves and big areas, there's no replacement for a walk behind blower. The 8 hp little wonder I have can move 3' deep leaves like they're not even there. It basically eliminates the tarping that I used to have to do--I can just push everything from one side of the property to the other.

With that said, we've had public campaigns and pressure from local munis to do more mulching in place and less collection of leaves. it certainly has its limits, and while some proponents will say you can mulch infinity leaves down to nothing, this is not the case. But early to mid fall, it is certainly possible to significantly reduce the leaf volume coming off the property by aggressively mulching. At the end of the season if I have time I will mulch up remaining leaves and then distribute this in selected beds -- a 2-3 inch leaf mulch of finely chopped leaves really does great things for the soil.

Latest posts

Back