Whats the best saw under 8 lbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBox

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a super lightweight saw just for brush work. Whats the best saw under 8 lbs?

Edit: I have a stihl ms250 that weighs 10.1 lbs 45cc that I use now for brush work.. A 9 lb saw isn't enuf lighter to make a difference. I'm thinking of building a trail pretty much straight down (30-70% grades and sidehill along that grade) into a canyon 1/2 to 3/4 mile long thru very thick manzanita I want to pack back and forth and use on the steep sidehill slopes the smallest saw possible to brush the trail.

Last edited:
I think my 192 weighs under 8lbs and if it's tuned right cuts really good for a 31cc saw. Every one i've seen has been pig rich out of the box to the point they had no rpm's or power. pulled the spark arrestor and leaned it out till it cut and it takes a lickin and keeps on cutting. If your afraid of the top handle then the 211 is another great saw that cuts way above it's rating and weighs a lb more , big whoop, you can still one hand it if you got the nards.

I think my 192 weighs under 8lbs and if it's tuned right cuts really good for a 31cc saw. Every one i've seen has been pig rich out of the box to the point they had no rpm's or power. pulled the spark arrestor and leaned it out till it cut and it takes a lickin and keeps on cutting. If your afraid of the top handle then the 211 is another great saw that cuts way above it's rating and weighs a lb more , big whoop, you can still one hand it if you got the nards.

I was hoping to find something with more power then the 192. 211 is too heavy, I could just take my ms250 as its the same weight and more power. I'm thinking of building a trail about 1/2 mile long thru THICK manzanita with about 800 feet of elevation change, I want the lightest saw I can find that still has decent power to cut up 6+" manzanita trunks.

All the good lightweight baby saw models are gone now. Most have been replaced with heavier 2010 EPA compliant models. Probably one of the best was the Dolmar/Makita 400/401/410/411. It weighed 8.8 lb, and had 2.3 HP. It was cheap too, about $200. The newer PS 350 is 10.5 lb. and 2.2 HP. The PS 420 is 10.6 lb and 2.9 HP.

The new baby Stihls are heavier, with the one exception of the 211 which is lighter than the 210 was. The 211 is 9.5 Ib. and has 2.3 HP. Compare that to the 210 which is 9.7 lb and has 2.0 HP. The Stihl 192 is a featherweight 7.4 lb. with 1.7 HP. The Stihl 200 is 8.4 lb. and 2.1 HP. But they are expensive ($500 or so). The 192T is 6.9 lb. and 1.7 HP, and the 200T is 7.7 lb and 2.1 HP.

The Stihl 192, 192T and 200T qualify at under 8 pounds. The 192 is fairly underpowered though. I had a 210 and I called it the 'wood massager.' The 211 has a nice bump in HP with the drop in weight. Maybe there are Husky models in there but I do not know that much about them. There are also light the Echo models, like the CS-300, but from my experience using them, they do not hold up over long periods of time. I would rather have a beat up Stihl 210 than a moderately used Echo CS-300 any day.

Last edited:
I was hoping to find something with more power then the 192. 211 is too heavy, I could just take my ms250 as its the same weight and more power. I'm thinking of building a trail about 1/2 mile long thru THICK manzanita with about 800 feet of elevation change, I want the lightest saw I can find that still has decent power to cut up 6+" manzanita trunks.

Stihl 211= 9.5 lbs
stihl 250= 10.1 lbs
Not to mention smaller tanks on the 211 and better fuel efficiency with a 14" bar is as light as anything out there especially if you want a saw that cuts. I don't know that you'll find anything lighter? Maybe an echo 306 which I wouldn't give a squirt of pi$$ for, I can cut faster with a hatchet. Get a 395 or 660 and run that for a few days and you'll be using a 310 like a top handle.

Stihl 211= 9.5 lbs
stihl 250= 10.1 lbs
Not to mention smaller tanks on the 211 and better fuel efficiency with a 14" bar is as light as anything out there especially if you want a saw that cuts. I don't know that you'll find anything lighter? Maybe an echo 306 which I wouldn't give a squirt of pi$$ for, I can cut faster with a hatchet. Get a 395 or 660 and run that for a few days and you'll be using a 310 like a top handle.

I think I need to put a sig up, I have a solo 681, pioneer 650 and jonsered 2094 there all big heavy saws and no I don't use smaller saws like a top handle after I use them. I prefer 2 hands.

Latest posts

Back