What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were selling one of the red 6421 rentals at the local HD for $322.

But that’s a BIG saw.

And I saw a blue one a couple of weeks ago without all the HD markings and engravings, and in better shape for $350. It looked real nice.
Still a BIG saw for me. I guess good if you got enough use for it. Certainly looked very well made.

Think I’d rather upjug the 3400. But would like a better option for the air filter.
The 64xx-79xx dolmars always make me think of the 3400-4000 poulans. Same idea just more modern. Same case just using different P/C.

For me it's my MS261 that has an 18" bar. At under 11lbs and making almost 4hp I could use the thing all day and not get tired! It rips no matter what I throw at it.
97e4095149c306d795a71ba09f964ae2.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

The 64xx-79xx dolmars always make me think of the 3400-4000 poulans. Same idea just more modern. Same case just using different P/C.
Yeah, and both have the feel of a tank.

Although the Makita somehow has a bigger, meaner look.
Maybe the giant dogs...or the big round filter cover.

For the relatively small soft wood I see in the pictures, believe a MS260, or 346XP would be optimal. The MS210 you have would probably more than get the job done for most of it, at considerable weight savings.

For the relatively small soft wood I see in the pictures, believe a MS260, or 346XP would be optimal. The MS210 you have would probably more than get the job done for most of it, at considerable weight savings.
Ive not used that saw in a while. I used to use it to trim limbs. Its very light

Had my new 35cc saw, 361P, out today.
I tell ya it cuts pretty fast if ya let it go at it's own pace. But if you try and push it'll bog down. First time cutting with it and it probably needs a few tanks through it...and the cat needs to go eventually, or a 355T muff.
But I do like using that little saw. For break-in I cut some mostly 4-5 inch ash and buried the bar in cedar a few times. Like I say, if you let it spin it'll rip pretty good.

I do need to try a 16" b&c on the CS490. And maybe try my hand at a mild port job....To hold off the urge for a 241 or 261 at least until the next dealer days.

I tell ya it cuts pretty fast if ya let it go at it's own pace. But if you try and push it'll bog down. First time cutting with it and it probably needs a few tanks through it...and the cat needs to go eventually, or a 355T muff.
But I do like using that little saw. For break-in I cut some mostly 4-5 inch ash and buried the bar in cedar a few times. Like I say, if you let it spin it'll rip pretty good.

I do need to try a 16" b&c on the CS490. And maybe try my hand at a mild port job....To hold off the urge for a 241 or 261 at least until the next dealer days.
That's how the ms210 is. you cant force it to cut faster

It should pick up a good bit after 10 tanks or so. My 355 seemed kind of doggy till then. After that it woke up. I didnt know the rear handle version had a cat muff. I'd ditch it for the empty can on the 355.

It should pick up a good bit after 10 tanks or so. My 355 seemed kind of doggy till then. After that it woke up. I didnt know the rear handle version had a cat muff. I'd ditch it for the empty can on the 355.
Yeah, I didn't know it had a cat either until I got it home.
Maybe the tuned port/velocity stack looking intake caused it to need some extra tuning down on the other end compared to the 355.
Also, no caps on the H and L screws. Although I haven't picked up the special carb tool to adjust it yet. I think it's the 21 spline. Going to get the 8-piece set so I'll have most of them covered

It still spins pretty freely compared to the 352.
But I have no doubt that the baffled and catted muffler is holding it back. And it being tight from lack of break-in.

So I got a pretty big job with several pine trees that are over a foot around and the damned dolmar out cut the 372xp big time. so I switched the chains around thinking it was the chain... same thing, however I noticed that the 372xp is cutting crooked. so I guess the bar must be bent?
20181112_155449.jpg 20181112_140156.jpg 20181112_164646.jpg 20181112_153114.jpg

So I got a pretty big job with several pine trees that are over a foot around and the damned dolmar out cut the 372xp big time. so I switched the chains around thinking it was the chain... same thing, however I noticed that the 372xp is cutting crooked. so I guess the bar must be bent?

If the chain is sharper on one side then the other, it will cut crooked too.

Yeah, I didn't know it had a cat either until I got it home.
Maybe the tuned port/velocity stack looking intake caused it to need some extra tuning down on the other end compared to the 355.
Also, no caps on the H and L screws. Although I haven't picked up the special carb tool to adjust it yet. I think it's the 21 spline. Going to get the 8-piece set so I'll have most of them covered

It still spins pretty freely compared to the 352.
But I have no doubt that the baffled and catted muffler is holding it back. And it being tight from lack of break-in.
Do you have a pic of that intake?

Latest posts

Back