What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dogs on those dolmar makitas are crazy. I had to take off the outside one because it was catching on my pant leg and all kinds of stuff
They are rather large. 20180612_165632.jpgSomeone told me these are the small dogs for the 7910. There still bigger then I need for what I use it for.

Stihl 025/ms250
I’m 57 but looks like I’ll cut between 15o-200 rick of wood this year! Shoulder injuries, wore out wrist and elbows...lazy...work at night also...I need light firewood saws!
I’ve had a Stihl 025 since the late 90’s! Got a good deal on a Stihl ms250 so that’s what I use! 45cc
Do a mmod by taking out the screen arrestor and taking off the baffle and that helps nicely!
I have an Echo cs-600p also fer really big stuff, (relative, I know) but I use those little stihls with 16” bars even fer stuff 30” plus inches!
.325 .063 RS Chain!
I wouldn’t mind gettin an Echo cs-490 or any other comparible saw but the Stihls are what I’ve ended up with and I have all the parts to keep’em tuned and runnin fer a long time!
You HAVE to have at least two saws if you’re doing much cuttin at all! Especially if you’re climbing around on wood piles that are all tangled up and limbs under pressure in ways that you can’t tell...because you will pinch your bar eventually no matter how much you tell yourself you won’t! Then you’re walkin back to the truck to get your second saw to cut the first one out! ☺️
I’m in the market now fer another ms250 to make sure I have three runnin saws, besides my 600p!
(I have about 100 trees drug over to my place that needs cut up before spring! (Hay field) ((and I’m still draggin))
Anyway, long story long, I love the Stihl 025/ms250 45 cc 16-18” bar fer 24” wood and down!
Btw, My father-n-law (74) uses a Stihl 170 fer everything, and they are tuff little lightweight saws!!
I wouldn’t mind havein one of them fer cuttin away wrist size stuff and less!
Just my .002!
Cut away and be careful! ☺️

Stihl 025/ms250
I’m 57 but looks like I’ll cut between 15o-200 rick of wood this year! Shoulder injuries, wore out wrist and elbows...lazy...work at night also...I need light firewood saws!
I’ve had a Stihl 025 since the late 90’s! Got a good deal on a Stihl ms250 so that’s what I use! 45cc
Do a mmod by taking out the screen arrestor and taking off the baffle and that help nicely!
I have an Echo cs-600p also fer really big stuff, (relative, I know) but I use those little stihls with 16” bars even fer stuff 30” plus inches!
.325 .063 RS Chain!
I wouldn’t mind gettin an Echo cs-490 or any other comparible saw but the Stihls are what I’ve ended up with and I have all the parts to keep’em tuned and runnin fer a long time!
You HAVE to have at least two saws if you’re doing much cuttin at all! Especially if you’re climbing around on wood piles that are all tangled up and limbs under pressure in ways that you can’t tell...because you will pinch your bar eventually no matter how much you tell yourself you won’t! Then you’re walkin back to the truck to get your second saw to cut the first one out! ☺️
I’m in the market now fer another ms250 to make sure I have three runnin saws, besides my 600p!
(I have about a 100 trees drug over to my place that needs cut up before spring! (Hay field) ((and I’m still draggin))
Anyway, long story long, I love the Stihl 025/ms250 45 cc 16-18” bar fer 24” wood and down!
Btw, My father-n-law (74) uses a Stihl 170 fer everything, and they are tuff little lightweight saws!!
I wouldn’t mind havein one of them fer cuttin away wrist size stuff and less!
Just my .002!
Cut away and be careful! ☺️
I always take 2 or more

You need to fix that.

What does the dealer being an hour away have to do with anything?
I have Dolmar, Echo, and Stihl dealers 5 minutes from home. Not worth the trip to look at husky.
I'm going to a gtg next weekend. Should be a 395 and 562 built by terry landrum there I can try out.

After a lot of driving around we finally found what look like just a little bulldozed file but on the back side there's a ton of wood so I got a truck load and it doesn't even look like I touched it we'll have to go out again tomorrow there's probably four or five loads of wood and there's another pile next to it but today I ran the Husqvarna 372xp and surprisingly it did very well although I was pretty tired by the end of the deal20181107_142425.jpg 20181107_142646.jpg 20181107_151939.jpg 20181107_154243.jpg

Honestly for the extra power the 372xp doesn't feel that much heavier after a bunch of cutting then the dolmar does. they both have 20 inch bars on them with 3/8 pitch chain but the chain on the Husky is a full comp low Kickback I guess.
I took the brand new bar and chain off of the dcs6421 whatever Home Depot put on there that's what's on it

They were selling one of the red 6421 rentals at the local HD for $322.

But that’s a BIG saw.

And I saw a blue one a couple of weeks ago without all the HD markings and engravings, and in better shape for $350. It looked real nice.
Still a BIG saw for me. I guess good if you got enough use for it. Certainly looked very well made.

Think I’d rather upjug the 3400. But would like a better option for the air filter.

They were selling one of the red 6421 rentals at the local HD for $322.

But that’s a BIG saw.

And I saw a blue one a couple of weeks ago without all the HD markings and engravings, and in better shape for $350. It looked real nice.
Still a BIG saw for me. I guess good if you got enough use for it. Certainly looked very well made.

Think I’d rather upjug the 3400. But would like a better option for the air filter.
Thats what i have.they can lower their price 20 percent or something if the like you. The Guy lowered the price on mine to $278 so it was about $300 out the door it depends on what area you look in Phoenix Arizona the most that usually do is cut down palm trees so there's no real big wood over there if I would have bought one up here where I'm at it might be a little more beat up

Latest posts

Back