What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally started to sell some firewood and went to go do some more cutting only to find out that they had done controlled Burns on most of the piles of stuff so I really had to pick through today and I got a major workout I put down the 03 8 and I ran the dolmar 111saw today just too much damn weight when you're having to wrestle around through crap. Sadly every saw I have probably weighs anywhere between 15 and 25 lb. the dolmar is the lightest one.
I haven't really had to fight through a bunch of burned up brush and ******** before to get to the decent rounds so I'm starting to rethink things. What would you guys run?

I was hoping they didn't go out to my area to burn things most people can't even get their trucks up to this crap
By the way the pictures are from Prescott Arizona20181105_160819.jpg 20181105_160815.jpg 20181105_160810.jpg 20181105_151619.jpg 20181105_170804.jpg 20181105_170815.jpg

If I could just choose 1 saw...?

Probably Echo 490 with 20” bar. Light and capable.

But ideally for the Blue Ridge Mountain firewood “scrounging” (harvesting) I do, I would choose two. The CS490 running 16” bar and Husky 562xp with 20”. You could encounter anything from maple limbs to 30” oaks on the ground. Especially this year with record rainfall AND high winds.

A nice 50cc saw would rock in that material. Even a 40. Either size with little chain and short bar.

Cheapest hot 50 new is Dolmar 5105 or whatever the Makita is. Ea5000?

Or many good used old-ish models. Lots of good old 50cc saws for 200 or less.

10-11lb saws..

It looks like you have a little helper there. Cool.

A nice 50cc saw would rock in that material. Even a 40. Either size with little chain and short bar.

Cheapest hot 50 new is Dolmar 5105 or whatever the Makita is. Ea5000?

Or many good used old-ish models. Lots of good old 50cc saws for 200 or less.

10-11lb saws..

It looks like you have a little helper there. Cool.
The dolmar 111 in the pic is 52cc with 20" bar. Yeah my son loves to go out and watch. He's awesome. He's a bit over year n half old. I take him everywhere

I do similar cutting around here.

A strong, light 50cc saw is my choice as I often have to walk in a decent distance to do cutting.
Lots of walking. Brush covered piles. Bigger wood is below. Now they burned everything. Some of the burn files I guess you would call it didn't really catch very well in some of them did. Most of the stuff is fairly close to the road but I don't know if you can really call the road and some of these spots until they did their burning nobody was going up here to even get this would because it was too much of a pain in the butt

You’d find that Dolmar much more manageable with a proper-sized bar on it I bet. Like a 16”. Like what’s supposed to be on a 50cc saw (imo).

And .325 chain...smooth, fast, dullen like crazy in that carbon..
It's got 3/8 with skip tooth chain. Lol

I do similar cutting around here.

A strong, light 50cc saw is my choice as I often have to walk in a decent distance to do cutting.
If you have to walk in to do your cutting, how do you get the logs out?

If I’m walking around with plans to do some cutting, I’d likely be building a campfire where I cut. Or was just cutting to clear a trail.
In this case, the old Stihl 009L is about ideal.

If driving in, the bigger, newer, rear handled saws would get the nod.

I will just agree with the 50cc saw. ...and since I have a MS261 I would probably go with that. I usually have a 15" bar on it and if needed I swap it to a 18"

Back