What's the best weather for firewood cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate being cold and wet, so when it's dry and in the 50's or 60's works best for me. Not winter time in Oregon anyways. I had really wanted to offer up some smart-assed answer like "When the tide is out and Jupiter aligns with Mars," but I couldn't think of one so I won't.
Hot and wet is the worst of them all -- like now for instance. I don't like cutting firewood in the summer with weather that reminds me of central Louisiana, southern Arkansas, or the rainy season in Viet Nam.

I had all my wood cut, split and stacked by the middle of March this year. First time i've ever gotten it in that soon. Now it's almost July and i'm ansy to go cut more, but, fire season is in effect here in the PNW. Normally it seems like i cut it in the winter, during hunting season, but, anytime is good for me, i'm retired, lol.

Lots of different responses so far, I do my firewood in the winter much as possible. I start dropping dead standers after Christmas then have it all cut, split, stacked by early March. I enjoy the work and exercise help keep me in shape during the farming "off" season. Don't think I'd enjoy it very much in 80+ temps but props to the guys who battle it out in the heat!
I'm still always scoping out dead trees no matter what time of year. If one happens to fall over in hot weather I'll cut it into 6' lengths and make a pile in my yard. Come back to it in the winter...usually with a new toy :)

Spring is my favorite time to cut wood, before it gets too hot and the bugs come out. Fall is nice too but kinda gets in the way of hunting. Been real nice this year until today, lot of 50-70* days, 92* today and bugs are out, the big biting horse flys are the worst. Will prolly still go out because I like cutting wood but but not as much until November.

Any day in the woods is a good day but I prefer cold enough that I can wear a long sleeve shirt and not sweat much. Around 40 to 50 is great.

I agree with that but that temp for me is 25 to 35. Walk out with a coat on start the saw drop a tree take the coat off.

About the only days I don't work are when the wind is blowing 60+mph (get bad wind storms in the winter), and when it's cold and I'm not really feeling it (like -30* cold). Mostly because it's a fight to get stuff started and warmed up.
Oh.. and I try to take Sundays off, at least half the day. Get work clothes washed, the house cleaned up a bit, try to knock out some house projects, etc.
We've been logging in the winter, the property we are on is quite wet so it's less destructive to the ground when it's frozen. Just deck alongside the road and haul out as needed. Like right now, have around 400-500 cords sitting in piles.

I had all my wood cut, split and stacked by the middle of March this year. First time i've ever gotten it in that soon. Now it's almost July and i'm ansy to go cut more, but, fire season is in effect here in the PNW. Normally it seems like i cut it in the winter, during hunting season, but, anytime is good for me, i'm retired, lol.

Thank you for respecting fire season out here nothing gets me more pissed off is the public not being held to the same standards for fire season as the loggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished my wood today. It was 85 but the humidity was low and it's been in the high 90s the last 2 weeks. Got all my splitting done. I split by hand. Got the rest of the un split wood stacked and the mess cleaned up. I usually like to finish my splitting earlier but I took a vacation to NC the first week of June. But I'm done till fall when I get my first rack ready in the garage.

More incredible heat is heading east. The heat index will reach 108 F tomorrow in Nebraska. That means about 100 F temp and humidity beyond belief. Bad part is that there is no breeze expected at all.

Regardless, people still want to buy my campfire wood. How is this possible? I am at a loss for words.

We had 2 or so weeks of real hot weather like hotter than it ever is here, 95 plus with humidity to match. Being an hvac guy I'm glad it's over but the last thing I wanted to do was burn stuff or think about fire wood. Now 85 feels cool.

Poison ivy doesn’t die the poison ivy dust is still on the wood. I was getting poison ivy in the middle of the winter. I was getting a injection for poison ivy every February/ March when it’s dormant. I was washing with the old gasoline everytime I gas the saw up and lava soap has lye in it in the shower.

Our wood permits started mid September till mud season. Or when ever I called for work they needed done. I liked cutting in November, December, January, February. When it was 10 degrees in December/ January i was in heaven cutting. That 2100 was smoking.

Like most I prefer cutting in cooler weather when there's less bug around, but I'll scrounge any wood anytime.
Got some Red Oak limbs to get on a corner near me from a big tree that a neighbor dropped and also have the medium sized maple next door to drop and move for another neighbor next door.
Another fellow I know wants his Pear tree removed too, but that's 1/2 hour away.

Back